Confirmed with Link: Helle and Scheifele re-signed 7x8.5M each

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Another aspect of this is that it makes our prospect pool look better. At least that is how it struck me.

Our mid rd picks don't need to be rushed. We don't absolutely have to count on 1 or 2 of them succeeding in such a big way to fill big shoes. We can now look at them plugging holes as they pop up or adding to existing strengths.

A little wind in the sales and the rudder is back. :laugh:

Exactly. We will need them to come in and give us solid support play on cheap deals. But I think we have a good enough pool that they can prop up the core much like what we saw in 17-18.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.:laugh:
Sorry to disappoint, but I'm not going anywhere. I will still follow the team's fortunes (or misfortunes), and this board is a useful source of info. Plus, the reactions on here when things go badly...

priceless-IMG.svg

:laugh:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Great reminder regarding Yzerman. When you have the skill, which Scheifele certainly does, offensive or defensive awareness is merely a matter of decision. If Scheifele can become some sort of Yzerman-lite…😃😃😃

Well he now has his money. There isn't the pressure to put up points to maximize his income. I'm hoping he now even more receptive to playing a better two-way game as it should all be about winning now.

I thought he was very good with Cole last year and this summer so having him around for Perfetti to lean on is a good thing.

lfg! best part of this is now we don't have to hear all season about how we will lose them for nothing!

Add in we don't have to hear about a certain player going to Montreal and everyone in that room likely wants to be here for probably the first time in a while.

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
Well he now has his money. There isn't the pressure to put up points to maximize his income. I'm hoping he now even more receptive to playing a better two-way game as it should all be about winning now.

I thought he was very good with Cole last year and this summer so having him around for Perfetti to lean on is a good thing.

Add in we don't have to hear about a certain player going to Montreal and everyone in that room likely wants to be here for probably the first time in a while.

While I am not a fan of 55, and while I was looking forward to seeing what 55 looked like with the pressure of a contract year..

I must admit, im ok with this contract for now.

Wish i could set a reminder to this comment in 7 years from now.

I might feel different about it in 2030.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
While I am not a fan of 55, and while I was looking forward to seeing what 55 looked like with the pressure of a contract year..

I must admit, im ok with this contract for now.

Wish i could set a reminder to this comment in 7 years from now.

I might feel different about it in 2030.
Salary cap will be double once there's 40 teams though...

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
There is a lot to like about these two deals but probably the most important thing is the messaging to the rest of the league, which includes current Jet roster players, and that is:
a) good players want to stay here, and
b) your prospective employer in TNSE is loyal and will commit to you.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I love to learn things and be surprised and I have to admit I thought the boys were walking the plank with our teams fortunes tied to them and as it turns out Hellfele and Schiefelbuyck were Double Dutch skipping together with Chevy and Chipper working the ropes?

Once PLD and Wheels left I assumed one or both of Mark and Connor would be next. The end of the season felt pretty ugly and like the end of an era. I guess taking time off away from it all and letting things cool down can give both sides a clear head and some perspective. I have trouble reading Scheifele, I really thought he looked like he wanted out? (Fooled me)

With the Cap going up allot these deals should age ok even as the players decline. Blake’s deal felt like it was expensive towards the end because the cap remained flat.

I have been critical of Mark‘s defensive play but he’s far from alone when it comes to scoring stars not defending well. He is our offenaive star we just need to surround him a bit better.

I have always loved Helle and still have PTSD from the Pavs era so this should help me save money on therapy.

This really changes my perspective about the next 3-4 seasons. I think it will be a few days until that part sinks in.

Murat will be busy.

Kevin “9 lives” Cheveldayoff really needs to be the guy who protects the launch codes after his hockey days are done.

Last edited:

Cotton Eye Joe

Oct 8, 2023
Sold my 55 Heritage jersey last week, lol.
I'll have to decide which Jet to purchase with my next one.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I always took those comments as what pretty much every player said last season, they didn't want to be part of a rebuild

I'm talking the season before where Scheifele kind of went out of his way to talk about having to talk to his family and representatives 2 years out from UFA.

He was super frustrated during that locker cleanout.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Considering he signed the contract I'd say the proof is right there.

With hindsight and knowing he eventually signed it makes his comments from the end of 2021-22 seem like it might've been a negotiation tactic.

That or he was just super pissed in the moment and just needed some time to reflect.

I like the direction of the team better now and Imo most of the players do as well. I do wonder just how much a factor having a guy like PLD who clearly wanted out in the room impacted the group. I also think the room will be better off now that Blake is gone. A fresh perspective was needed.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I'm talking the season before where Scheifele kind of went out of his way to talk about having to talk to his family and representatives 2 years out from UFA.

same, I think he didn't know the direction the jets were going after not making the playoffs and didn't want to be here if they decided to rebuild

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018

The guy wants to win. Management had just thrown the season away letting Adam Lowry's dad coach the team. Can't blame him for being pissed off.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Call me crazy, but I think Heinola's injury might have influenced both signings.

Betting on yourself works until you see that a sudden injury could sideline you for months firsthand. Suddenly you may not want to gamble with a sure thing.

Reactions: trebendan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad