Confirmed with Link: Helle and Scheifele re-signed 7x8.5M each

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I can get behind those type of moves as well. If he's going for a Marque piece it has to have some term.

I wouldn't mind if he acquired a 1RHD with term at the TD, even if he paid a lot. That is not the most likely time for that kind of acquisition though.

Reactions: surixon

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
I was going to reply to Jets4Life but I see his post was already properly dismantled. And Helley wont get 10 million, he will want 12.

I would pay Helley 10 million for 4 years.

Paying him 12 million for 7 years, which is what he will want, is basically strapping a suicide vest to this teams cap for the next year decade.

I can live with the extra 3 years and getting him for 8.5.

It's gonna be an adjustment but I'm gonna have to start getting in this guys corner because as he goes our franchise will go

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

Cheveldayoff got his two pillars on board by being open and honest about their plans. He's usually pretty cagey, which made the players annoyed and frustrated. That they went a full 180 and re-signed speaks volumes.

Nov 24, 2006

Cheveldayoff got his two pillars on board by being open and honest about their plans. He's usually pretty cagey, which made the players annoyed and frustrated. That they went a full 180 and re-signed speaks volumes.
Is The Athletic free now? It let me read just by giving email address and password.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Man this has completely flipped my fandom - I was so depressed heading into this year - Paid zero attention to everything happening, and now I'm reading season previews with baited breath, lol.

Love the Helle deal. Like the Scheif deal - You gotta realize that goals and assists = money, not necessarily defensive play.

Like everyone has said - hopefully his comparison is Yzerman.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
This board never puts their knives away lol
c9f7470b-ad10-4bbe-a9bf-0e6204e7263d_text.gif

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
I am just happy we finally have clarity for the team that we all cheer for. It was going to be really hard as a fan watching these two on expiring deals and the uncertainty that would come with that. I have gone back and forth on a total tear down vs. staying competitive. The tear down has no guarantees and honestly the most likely outcome is we end up right back where we started and we would be complaining about having the 10th pick in the draft instead of a top 5 pick, because this team still would have talent without Scheifele and Hellebuyck. We probably would be on a worse treadmill than the one we are on now. I know being a fan of a treadmill team can be frustrating but we might actually have prospects to actually help the team out in the next 3 years. The biggest problem the Jets have had is the system really dried up because of the organization's drafting in 2016 through 2019.

The top 8 in the system in 2019 was.
  1. LW-Kristian Vesalainen
  2. LD-Dylan Samberg
  3. LD-Ville Heinola
  4. LD-Logan Stanley
  5. G-Mikhail Berdin
  6. C-David Gustafsson
  7. RD-Johnathan Kovacevic
  8. C-Henri Nikkanen
Compare that to the top 8 in 2023.
1. LW-Rutger McGroarty
2. C-Chaz Lucius
3. RW-Brad Lambert
4. LW-Colby Barlow
5. LD-Ville Heinola
6. RD-Elias Salomonsson
7. LW-Nikita Chibrikov
8. G-Domenic DiVincentiis

They all won't work out but you can see the framework of a prospect pool that can help supplant the team with their ELC's. The Jets will probably be in the same spot they have been for the next two seasons but if all goes right and we catch a break with acquiring a RHD the next bonafide contender window starts for the 2025-2026 season, especially with Pionk, Schmidt, and Wheelers dead cap are off the books.

Long post but its been a while and I am glad hockey is back, and our team has a plan. Even if its not perfect.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I am just happy we finally have clarity for the team that we all cheer for. It was going to be really hard as a fan watching these two on expiring deals and the uncertainty that would come with that. I have gone back and forth on a total tear down vs. staying competitive. The tear down has no guarantees and honestly the most likely outcome is we end up right back where we started and we would be complaining about having the 10th pick in the draft instead of a top 5 pick, because this team still would have talent without Scheifele and Hellebuyck. We probably would be on a worse treadmill than the one we are on now. I know being a fan of a treadmill team can be frustrating but we might actually have prospects to actually help the team out in the next 3 years. The biggest problem the Jets have had is the system really dried up because of the organization's drafting in 2016 through 2019.

The top 8 in the system in 2019 was.
  1. LW-Kristian Vesalainen
  2. LD-Dylan Samberg
  3. LD-Ville Heinola
  4. LD-Logan Stanley
  5. G-Mikhail Berdin
  6. C-David Gustafsson
  7. RD-Johnathan Kovacevic
  8. C-Henri Nikkanen
Compare that to the top 8 in 2023.
1. LW-Rutger McGroarty
2. C-Chaz Lucius
3. RW-Brad Lambert
4. LW-Colby Barlow
5. LD-Ville Heinola
6. RD-Elias Salomonsson
7. LW-Nikita Chibrikov
8. G-Domenic DiVincentiis

They all won't work out but you can see the framework of a prospect pool that can help supplant the team with their ELC's. The Jets will probably be in the same spot they have been for the next two seasons but if all goes right and we catch a break with acquiring a RHD the next bonafide contender window starts for the 2025-2026 season, especially with Pionk, Schmidt, and Wheelers dead cap are off the books.

Long post but its been a while and I am glad hockey is back, and our team has a plan. Even if its not perfect.
Agree with the plan, even if its not perfect. I recommend everyone watch the Offside: The Harold Ballard Story documentary if people truly want to see a team and ownership without any plan whatsoever. I forgot how truly awful the Leafs were in the 80s. Gives a bit of perspective.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Great deal for both. I don't think True North thinks this market will ever be positioned for a true rock bottom rebuild . And as some have mentioned, the later term years likely won't look too bad with cap going up and inflation.

There's is one thing that concerns me mainly with Scheifele. It's something some people forget about after a signing. And that is the dreaded post contract let down. Sincerely hope Scheifele doesn't get too complacent now that he no longer needs to bring a "proove it" season

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Is The Athletic free now? It let me read just by giving email address and password.
When I go there, I see a reduction to $1.99 per month for 12 months then back to regular rate. Are you a New York Times subscriber? The Athletic is included in that.

Now, I've been reading The Athletic free for a while, but I don't think the mods will allow me to post how I do it. But if I can find it, anyone can. Google sees all, knows all. :nod:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
How we feel about these contracts in 2030 may totally depend on what happens over the next few years. If the Jets are a PO bubble team for most of the years and go no where in the PO's a rebuilt would of been the better option. If on the other hand this team can put it all together and have one or more deep run in the PO's or heaven forbid win the Cup itself then these contracts will be worth it no matter how either player plays in year 6-7.

Hindsight is 20/20. It is also inevitable. :laugh:

Reactions: thereturn and Deno

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Great deal for both. I don't think True North thinks this market will ever be positioned for a true rock bottom rebuild . And as some have mentioned, the later term years likely won't look too bad with cap going up and inflation.

There's is one thing that concerns me mainly with Scheifele. It's something some people forget about after a signing. And that is the dreaded post contract let down. Sincerely hope Scheifele doesn't get too complacent now that he no longer needs to bring a "proove it" season
He outperformed his last contract

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
As an Oilers fan, happy for your city and organization.

More so on Hellebuyck. Elite in every sense, who may have had more options in free agency. He could have fought (and probably got) for 8 years and still took less term.

MS - paid FMV for IMO. That said, players of his ilk not easily replaceable.

Winnipeg might not be the most desirable city for outsiders, but homegrown players who have spent time there have enjoyed and been willing to sign long-term extensions.

The draft and develop method should continue to be pursued and UFAs for role players to fill in the gaps.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
I am sure what all the big hoopla is all about....its not like the jets have won anything with them both...maybe if the jets didnt have and expect helly to win games for them, they might pay more attention to team defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad