Confirmed with Link: Helle and Scheifele re-signed 7x8.5M each

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Was at Thanksgiving today. Wife's cousin (who played in the Dub, and knows I'm a Winnipeg guy) says "hey Joe, the Jets just signed Schiefele and Hellebuyck". I thought he was pulling my leg.

Awesome. Schiefele might be a bit too long, but thats how it is. Hope he retires as a life-long Jet, comes back in the organization as a coach or management.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They are going to have to make some decisions. Hopefully Ville gets healthy and proves he can take Pionk/Schmidt's spot. We will need to shed some cap if we want to keep DeMelo and Nino and pay Cole.

We lose Dillon and the cap is projected to go up by 4 mil. Buyout Pionk and gain another 4. The year after that Schmidt's contract is done and Wheeler's buyout comes off the books. Cap goes up another 4 mil. Not sure whether we will want DeMelo beyond that. Salomonsson needs to come through and we need to find another couple of RD somewhere.

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
so we’ve got that going for us..
as he says himself..”Big and Boring”.
He may lose some lateral movement but he doesn’t flinch and covers a lot of net.
I like the contract.
While I think both are a year or two too long I doubt they were going to sign anything but those contracts. I am happy now. I will be unhappy with them when the fall off a cliff later
Scheiff might, but because Helly relies more on just facing the play (“Big and boring” as he says) he relies less on athleticism and more on just covering net..
He’ll age well.

Reactions: GNP and thereturn

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
Its rumoured that 2 Saskatchewan gas attendants saw Trotz driving back to Nashville from Winnipeg.

I guess Chevy lives to see another Season.

• Haha
Reactions: Jets 31

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
Wow! Awesome news! LET'S GO!!!
My Eeyore was happily surprised!
GJG!
13EF86FC-5D21-477D-BC53-117C98E2EF02.jpeg

His game is less built around his physical attributes, so I believe his contract will age better than Black Wheeler's.
As long as his legs dont fold…

Reactions: John Agar

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Supprised, but maybe Helle and Scheif relaised this summer, their longterm contracts did not excist on the market. Oh well, up to Milic or Divicentis now to see if they can beat Helle.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Considering he signed the contract I'd say the proof is right there.

With hindsight and knowing he eventually signed it makes his comments from the end of 2021-22 seem like it might've been a negotiation tactic.
Not sure what comments you're referring to exactly.

But the trend on hf is a player, coach, media guy says something and that's the opinion or their mindset forever with no wiggle room to change.

Things change. At a point in time he was perhaps not super warm on re-signing. New coach, new leadership, perhaps ufa market wasn't looking great :dunno: but 16+ month ago is enough time to change your mind about something.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Not sure what comments you're referring to exactly.

But the trend on hf is a player, coach, media guy says something and that's the opinion or their mindset forever with no wiggle room to change.

Things change. At a point in time he was perhaps not super warm on re-signing. New coach, new leadership, perhaps ufa market wasn't looking great :dunno: but 16+ month ago is enough time to change your mind about something.

It was also immediately following elimination, or when players and fans alike are probably the most heated and saying a lot of stupid shit :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If Perfetti works out as a #2 C, Jets are set at C for the next 3-4 years too with Scheifele, Perfetti, Lowry.

Wonder if we see Lucius and Lambert on the wing with the Jets now. C with Moose, and W with Jets?

Maybe, maybe not.
If any of our current prospects flourish at C Scheifele could move to wing in a few years.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
It was also immediately following elimination, or when players and fans alike are probably the most heated and saying a lot of stupid shit :laugh:
Yeah perhaps. Just saying it's not the first time someone may have changed their mind, new information came to light etc that caused to change an opinion or view.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Weird deals, but only because it could either be good or just two giant anchors for the franchise to have us plummet down the standings.
Honestly , this board will have the knives out in 2-3 years into the new contracts is my guess.
I don't think we had any choice so let's hope it goes well for 4 years hopefully anyways.
If people thought Wheeler had it bad as his contract went along ...hooooboy for Scheifele.

( whipping boys are essential on HF :sarcasm: )

Reactions: John Agar

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
My hope is there is a short term plan to move Mark to another team in about 4 months. Well, in truth, it's not even a hope. Pessimists don't hope.

Getting rid of 55 was the only way I was going to revert to fandom. Now, I've resigned myself to not caring about this team for in all likelihood the rest of my life. C'est la vie.

Come on, tell the truth.
If they had traded Scheif for a goalie and Helle for a C and a couple of adds, you would still find the lead lining in that cloud. :laugh:

No way these deals guarantee this team will contend, either this year or any other. But it gives them a legit chance of contending every year for the next 4 or 5 years.

That will still depend on what else Chevy can come up with and on these 2 continuing to perform near their peaks for those years. But that is not an unrealistic expectation. Both will probably need to be bought out of the last year or two but that is a bridge we can cross when we come to it.

Meanwhile, our D corps is going to collapse again after this year. Chevy will need to address that very soon but lets wait and see what he can come up with.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Both these signings were unexpected for various reasons but ultimately great. It's very difficult to find a good goaltender and centre in this league. Now the Jets have both locked up.

I am not sure what the fascination is with blowing everything up that some people have. There's no guarantee that would even work. Having these two key players for seven more years buys the Jets plenty of time to be able to develop and replace them when the time comes for them to retire.

There is no guarantee blowing it up would not work either.
And there is no guarantee that this will work.

These deals give us a 4-5 year window where it should work. But Chevy still needs to manage the rest of the pieces.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad