Confirmed with Link: Heinen is Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
When the bottom 6 score more, that by definition makes them harder to play against. And how is Heinen easy to play against?
36 takeaways vs 24 giveaways last year. Respectable possession metrics. On the ice for 46GF vs 40 against at ES, often playing with pretty poor linemates.

I would be totally fine with using him on the PK, if you want to add a dimension.

He is a strength at 1 mil. This prevents someone worse from playing and f***ing things up.

And the third line didn't outscore opponents in the second half of the season or the playoffs, nor did this look particularly surprising.

Heinen isn't easy to play against, but he's not difficult. He's a great addition for 1m but you look at the whole unit with the best players on ice and look at the mix and how they come together, and I don't feel convinced.

edit: Don't get me wrong, I ain't saying undo this. But I'd undo Kapanen if I could now I know about this, maybe. And I'm wondering how Poehling is going to fit in.

Last edited:

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
No. We lost because of goaltending availability/level. We outplayed the Rangers in 6 of 7, often thoroughly.
We won 2 Cups without physicality. And you don't need to be a bruiser to win board battles. You need to be hard on your stick and smart with positioning and timing.

You're right. Absolutely just a coincidence that our small soft players get pushed around and knocked out every year. And mind you, this isn't 3 series in. 1st round, every year, to bigger teams. But hey, I'm sure next year will be completely different. Other teams will finally realize that we play the game the 'right way', and will follow suit. Refs will call all the penalties. It will be awesome

Reactions: Nfumass

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
And the third line didn't outscore opponents in the second half of the season or the playoffs, nor did this look particularly surprising.

Heinen isn't easy to play against, but he's not difficult. He's a great addition for 1m but you look at the whole unit with the best players on ice and look at the mix and how they come together, and I don't feel convinced.

Heinen's a decent player, especially for $1mil. But we need less guys like him, not more.

Reactions: jmelm

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Yeah with Boyle.

Heinen got prime opportunities with Malkin and was mostly with Carter on the third line as well as second line. You want to verbal diarrhea me some cold streak bullshit, go stat watch what Heinen's cold streaks were and then pretend like you know which line he as on during them to explain away his God like importance in the bottom 6.

He had 3 goals in the playoffs. Two in blowouts and another in a loss. The rest of the way he did jack shit and finished -1. He would float around while Zucker half gimped would play physical while he would turn back on a forecheck leaving Zucker out to dry each shift.

It's funny, all this hate on Kapanen and he finished +4 in his limited role.

1658970807852.png

Boyle was quite good offensively. I see DOC at a 1.47 btw. A few of his early season goals were hardcore luck based too.

Getting goals in blowouts discourages the opponent from fighting back. And at the time the goals were scored, the score may have been close.
You're reaching pretty hard here to discredit him. Never seen you weigh things like this when it came to players you liked?

Congrats to Zucker for putting in effort and scoring 0 goals I guess.

If you want L3 to perform better you put Carter on the wing and reduce his minutes. Heinen is not the cause.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
You’re a wee bit too bloody angry bruv.

It’s not a big ting just small ting mate.
I'm not sure a sports message board is the best thing for someone with apparent anger issues.

View attachment 573073
Boyle was quite good offensively. I see DOC at a 1.47 btw. A few of his early season goals were hardcore luck based too.

Getting goals in blowouts discourages the opponent from fighting back. And at the time the goals were scored, the score may have been close.
You're reaching pretty hard here to discredit him. Never seen you weigh things like this when it came to players you liked?

If you want L3 to perform better you put Carter on the wing and reduce his minutes. Heinen is not the cause.
HOG lacks the ability to judge any player objectively, it only matters if he likes the guy or not.

Jarry could be torturing animals in the locker room before every game and HOG would blame Sullivan and Matt Murray for it

Reactions: Peat

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
View attachment 573073

Our bottom 6 has been awful in the playoffs for years. Yet we keep bringing back and signing the same exact type of players. But this year we're expecting a better result. And the definition of insanity is....?

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Our bottom 6 has been awful in the playoffs for years. Yet we keep bringing back and signing the same exact type of players. But this year we're expecting a better result. And the definition of insanity is....?
Okay. Find a player for 1 mil who will outperform Heinen.

Do you understand that we would have gotten to round 2 had we had one of our 2 goalies playing? Do you understand that the result was not really a reflection of the team as a whole?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I like it. I feel better about depth now.

Hextall has got to have a trade lined up though, right?

Zucker or Kapanen would make the most sense at this point...would gladly like it to McGinn.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
That’s honestly insane value. That’s actually a pay cut?

Guessing there was mutual interest but he was looking for a certain figure that we just flat out couldn’t fit so he looked elsewhere, held out too long and teams rosters and cap filled up and then came back to us.

Even before free agency I’d have offered him 2x2.2 as an RFA. Just double the yearly salary and double the length of the prior deal.

He seems to fit well with Carter too.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

But that ain't happening, is it? We know who 3C is, so who's going to be a solution to helping him? Because Heinen mightn't be the cause, but if he's not part of the solution, he's part of the problem.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
I like it. I feel better about depth now.

Hextall has got to have a trade lined up though, right?

Zucker or Kapanen would make the most sense at this point...would gladly like it to McGinn.
If he could get rid of Zucker without too much pain, he would have done it by now.

I'd add Blueger to the list. We shouldn't be willing to resign him to another contract. For what he brings, he won't be worth what he'll get in his next contract. It may be time to cut bait with him.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Because gms aren't stupid enough to think he was actually good. He had small spurts with top players that did a ton of his heavy lifting. He missed a ton of chances and coasted most of the time, which is why the Bruins and Ducks really didn't care for him.

He's the epitome of boring hockey and the fact that many here are all horned out over keeping him is more sad than anything. It's what most expect as good these days when we should have had more opportunity for players in the bottom 6.

This is f***ing stupid.

Yet you love boring ass no show Blueger. Weird take.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
But that ain't happening, is it? We know who 3C is, so who's going to be a solution to helping him? Because Heinen mightn't be the cause, but if he's not part of the solution, he's part of the problem.
And who's gonna prevent Carter from making stupid mistakes down the middle? It's in his control...nobody else's.
Either he covers the guy and positions well or he doesn't.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
So it says on your resume you were on our roster last year. Would you like to fill a spot on our bottom 12? Ok, welcome back aboard.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Value wise, it's a steal.

That being said, how many more finesse forwards can a team have? Hextall constantly talks about getting bigger, but what good does that do if you target big players who don't play with any physicality, or undersized grinders who don't have the mass to deliver damage?

It would be nice to have someone that could knock an opposing player out of the series with a hit deemed legal and/or create a spark with a fight. When you come out of the gate looking flat (which happened often last season), sometimes a big hit or fight can spontaneously change the momentum of the game; at the very least it's entertaining.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
And who's gonna prevent Carter from making stupid mistakes down the middle? It's in his control...nobody else's.
Either he covers the guy and positions well or he doesn't.

Strong forecheck/board battle guy means less chances for Carter to muck up. Not the first defensively sus C who needs Ws who can insulate him, won't be the last.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Value wise, it's a steal.

That being said, how many more finesse forwards can a team have? Hextall constantly talks about getting bigger, but what good does that do if you target big players who don't play with any physicality, or undersized grinders who don't have the mass to deliver damage?

It would be nice to have someone that could knock an opposing player out of the series with a hit deemed legal and/or create a spark with a fight. When you come out of the gate looking flat (which happened often last season), sometimes a big hit or fight can spontaneously change the momentum of the game; at the very least it's entertaining.
You can have a Cup winning roster with no bruisers if all the players are above average offensively and defensively, relative to their cap hit.
I've never believed in the redundancy argument.

Physicality is only good if the player brings enough in other aspects of his game to make it worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad