Healthy Stamkos vs Ovi

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
One of the greatest hockey debates of our time is asking who was the greatest of all time - Gretzky or Crosby.

When it comes right down to it - we can only speculate whether or not Gretzky was good enough to win a Messier. We know Crosby was good enough to win one. I suspect that'll be the big differentiator between their careers when future historians look back on it.
No the hell it is not.

Reactions: OKR and pezpunk

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
People forget how deadly Stamkos was at his peak. His career is a vivid illustrations to what injuries can do to a player - and how unpredictable hockey life is.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
What’s next?

Roid Kane vs Ovechkin?

what if Patrick Kane was on steroids, would he match Ovi?

***DURABILITY IS A RARE ATTRIBUTE OVECHKIN HAS***

why do people refuse to acknowledge that? You can’t say career what if’s to players with injuries, that’s just another thing that makes Ovechkin so damn special.
We’re beyond the point of “let’s see what happens in a couple years” with Ovie. His durability is his 1b/1c asset right beside his shot and love of the game. It’s fun to play the what if games, but at the end of the day Ovie is joining and passing Gretzky and Bossy in different records for goal. Stamkos isn’t even close. Hell, Ovie has an outside chance at 60 this year at 34. Has Stamkos hit 50 recently?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Yes, comparing a 60 goal scorer to a 65 goal scorer is a troll. Oh, HF, and your "what have you done for me lately", never change.

because Ovechkin literally has the best longevity as a goal scorer of anyone ever as well

having a similar absolute peak is nice and all but there's way more to it than that,lots of guys have had nice peaks

Reactions: User9992

copperlion

Aug 6, 2019
OV all day everyday, and I’m Lightning fan. Ovechkin has the potential to break the NHL all time record for goals in today’s NHL with less scoring. Peak Stamkos had St.Louis feeding him, but Stammer does have a wicked shot. I’m couldn't be any happier with Stammer captaining our team though

Last edited:

scott clam

Sep 12, 2018
Stamkos' has only two seasons that come anywhere close to peak Ovi. Ovi is still better in '13.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Stamkos from 09-10 season until now has a GPG of 0.55. Ovi has 0.585.

Ovi has been healthy. Stamkos has battled blood clot, broken leg and more. He also was a playmaker one season to Kucherov.

I'm big Ovi fan, but would Stamkos match him if he had healthy career like Ovi? Stamkos was seen as new best goalscorer in league when Ovi fell off in '10-11 and even scored 60. But a few seasons later after he suffered some brutal injuries. Ovi then coincidentally got back on his game.

When stamkos brood his leg sliding into the net, I was heart broken. Guy hasn't been the same player since imo.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Stamkos from 09-10 season until now has a GPG of 0.55. Ovi has 0.585.

Ovi has been healthy. Stamkos has battled blood clot, broken leg and more. He also was a playmaker one season to Kucherov.

I'm big Ovi fan, but would Stamkos match him if he had healthy career like Ovi? Stamkos was seen as new best goalscorer in league when Ovi fell off in '10-11 and even scored 60. But a few seasons later after he suffered some brutal injuries. Ovi then coincidentally got back on his game.
While I like Stamkos, Ovie could score in more ways. Ovie also shoots more. Stamkos had superstar potential for a few seasons, getting 60 goals, but the year he made it to the finals and couldn't break out of the opposing team's coverage, he lost some hype and he wasn't as effective after. Not sure if it was before or after is leg injury. Can still be a PPG player.
Even if not for injuries, I see Stamkos a as a tier underneath Ovie. - What current kid is going to be in for the Rocket at Ovechkin's age? Probably, not many of them. Kane is currently the oldest after Ovie in the goal scoring top 10.

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017
Ovi is pretty much one of the best goal-scorers of all time. I dont think a healthy Stamkos could have matched him.
However; Stamkos is absolutely an elite superstar-player. Id be surprised if he doesnt pass atleast 600 goals.

Both are great players.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Even as a Lightning fan, Ovechkin is on another level goal scoring wise. Like someone earlier in the thread said, maybe healthy Stamkos makes the goal scoring race more interesting one year or two, but I don't think it would change the overall picture. Now if we're talking overall game I think he would be getting a lot more credit than he is now. Still his playoff performance is a concern...

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
As a Lightning fanatic I would say:

1) The answer is NO. Stamkos will go down as an all-time great goal scorer, but Ovi will go down as maybe the GREATEST goal scorer.

2) Stamkos is the second best goal scorer of his generation. A great accomplishment. Esspecially since the only person above him might be the best ever.

3) The discussion of "second to the best" and "what might have been" can still be fascinating and doesnt necessarily deserved to be blown off and laughed at. It still can be an intriguing conversation and is probably better suited for a platform that's not a hot take haven.

4) It is possible to have this discussion and marvel at both their accomplishments as players (very different career paths) instead of bashing one or the other.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Thanks for your constructive rebuttal. Glad you could come back with these compelling points.
Your comment didnt deserve a constructive rebuttal. Bringing up Jonathan Cheechoo is obvious mocking and you dismissing the topic.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Your comment didnt deserve a constructive rebuttal. Bringing up Jonathan Cheechoo is obvious mocking and you dismissing the topic.

It's a valid rebuttal to the claim that Stamkos' one 60 goal season puts him in Ovechkin's realm...

... Sorry you didn't connect the dots.

DRW895

Dec 29, 2021
Since 2009/10 Ovechkin had some tough seasons that dropped his g/gp in this span - 10/11, 11/12, 16/17.
Before all dramatic health issues Stamkos had real chance to lead in number of Rocket in spring of 2013, but he was brutally beaten.
By the end of March 2013 - 25:18
By the middle of April - 26:27
By the end of the April/season is over - 29:32.
All that left after thath for bolts fans - try to mention that Stamkos had a little bit more even strength goals. Aint it funny?
Right now Stamkos is batting with B. Hagel for team`s 4-th leading scorer. He will hit 600 goal much more later even than Crosy and its fail lets be honest.
When Ovechkin was 34 he scored 48 in 68. Generally just another level and it always will be so

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Since 2009/10 Ovechkin had some tough seasons that dropped his g/gp in this span - 10/11, 11/12, 16/17.
Before all dramatic health issues Stamkos had real chance to lead in number of Rocket in spring of 2013, but he was brutally beaten.
By the end of March 2013 - 25:18
By the middle of April - 26:27
By the end of the April/season is over - 29:32.
All that left after thath for bolts fans - try to mention that Stamkos had a little bit more even strength goals. Aint it funny?
Right now Stamkos is batting with B. Hagel for team`s 4-th leading scorer. He will hit 600 goal much more later even than Crosy and its fail lets be honest.
When Ovechkin was 34 he scored 48 in 68. Generally just another level and it always will be so

Did you just recover from Covid?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad