Healthy Stamkos vs Ovi

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Meh, it’s Super Mario vs the Great One all over again. There’s a chance he would have finished higher in goal scoring races, but then again there’s a chance Eric Lindros would have had a better career than Sidney Crosby as well, we’ll never know. The odds are against Stamkos but sure he had the potential to have a better career(potential isn’t a sure thing when healthy either though)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Probably not. Stamkos' career will go down as a big what-if though. He was playing the best hockey of his life at the start of 2013-14 before breaking his leg and wasn't himself for years. We probably missed out on a couple of crazy Rocket races between the two.

He's been great in the past two years though. I would take this Stamkos over the Rocket Richard Stamkos. Solid defensively and a much, much improved playmaker. He's able to make impact in a lot more ways now, and he's still good for 40 goals.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He's been great in the past two years though. I would take this Stamkos over the Rocket Richard Stamkos. Solid defensively and a much, much improved playmaker. He's able to make impact in a lot more ways now, and he's still good for 40 goals.

Yeah, the Stamkos now is a better player than the young Stamkos, less dynamic, more responsible and just as productive. Though we had a brief glimpse of all of that put together at the start at the 13-14' season it's not like Stamkos has lost that much time compared to some of the other players on the all time list.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
So OV's GPG is better even though he's played 100+ more games and this time frame includes 4+ seasons of him being 30+ while it's Stamkos's entire prime? Yeah, not exactly the best argument for Stamkos. Stamkos is in the 2nd tier of all time great goal scorers with Selanne, Jagr, Bure, etc. There's nothing wrong with that, he's had an amazing career. OV is in a different tier.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
I don't think he'd match Ovi because he's doing absolutely legendary things, but he would be one of the all-time greats in the goal-scoring department. Actually I think he's still got a lot of goals in him, I'm sure, if he can stay healthy, he will easily crack 600-goals.

Reactions: User9992

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I thought Stamkos had the potential to be the best player in the league before his injuries came on. Most notably his broken leg. That one really did him in. He shows flashes again but he’s not the same player.

Ovi is the goat goal scorer. Stamkos may have given him a run a few more seasons if he didn’t get injured for the rocket but all in all I don’t think he’s on Ovis level

Randyne

May 20, 2012
Stamkos from 09-10 season until now has a GPG of 0.55. Ovi has 0.585.
Ovi has been healthy. Stamkos has battled blood clot, broken leg and more. He also was a playmaker one season to Kucherov.
Another evidence that injuries don't hurt GPG (PPG).Hot streak -> injury -> refreshment -> hot streak -> injury ... and so on
Playing all the games is reducing "per game" stats.

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
Goal per game propably Ovechkn as a hockey player? Stamkos easily eventough Stamkos is like Canada's A roster's one of the weakest players in it. He is fake center who should be winger in NHL also and wingers are weaker players no winger is for example top 10 player in NHL atm or even top 10 forward probably. It just goes that way mostly in hockey if you are too bad in some area's defending all around game / hockey sense etc you are put to wing where you can hide your weaknesses better and impact game lesser way. Middle is most important =DMen and Centers and ofc also goalie then wingers are like cream on top of cake without good/great defense and centers wingers mean about zero then otherways you can win with mediocre wingers if you have great d/centers other way around not possible because winger is much less relevant position.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Goal per game propably Ovechkn as a hockey player? Stamkos easily eventough Stamkos is like Canada's A roster's one of the weakest players he is fake center who should be winger in NHL also and Wingers are weaker players no Winger is for example top 10 player in NHL atm or even top 10 forward propably. It just goes that way mostly in hockey if you are too bad in some area's defending all around game / hockey sense etc you are put to wing where you can hide your weaknesses better and impact game lesser way. Middle is most important =DMen and Centers and ofc also goalie then wingers are like cream on top of cake without good/great defense and centers wingers mean about zero then otherways you can win with mediocre wingers if you have great d/centers other way around not possible because winger is much less relevant position.
I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say but I agree 100%.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Stamkos kind of underrated now. Obviously the answer is ovy but Stamkos is an elite elite goal scorer. Probably one of the best of all time. 45 goals last year pretty unreal. Slow start this year been on fire lately. What 415 goals right now? Outside shot at 700, but even 600+ in this era is ridiculous

Reactions: Zuluss

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Stamkos kind of underrated now. Obviously the answer is ovy but Stamkos is an elite elite goal scorer. Probably one of the best of all time. 45 goals last year pretty unreal. Slow start this year been on fire lately. What 415 goals right now? Outside shot at 700, but even 600+ in this era is ridiculous

Though Crosby might reach that

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Ovi is by far the greatest goal scorer of this generation and arguably all time. Since he joined the league 15 years ago, nobody has been consistently as dominant as him when it comes to scoring. He’s NEVER scored less than 30 goals in any season and he scored 40 or more goals in 10 out of his 15 years in the league.

Stamkos is great but health is part of it. I’m an islanders fan and it’s easy for me to say if Bossy played just 5 more healthy seasons and his career wasn’t cut short at 10 seasons he would be the undisputed greatest goal scorer of all time. But that’s not fair to say because health and longevity is important and it’s not far to Ovi to deal in hypotheticals.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Stamkos from 09-10 season until now has a GPG of 0.55. Ovi has 0.585.

Ovi has been healthy. Stamkos has battled blood clot, broken leg and more. He also was a playmaker one season to Kucherov.

I'm big Ovi fan, but would Stamkos match him if he had healthy career like Ovi? Stamkos was seen as new best goalscorer in league when Ovi fell off in '10-11 and even scored 60. But a few seasons later after he suffered some brutal injuries. Ovi then coincidentally got back on his game.

Who knows. All shoulda, woulda, coulda. Mario could have probably beaten a lot of The Great One's records had he been able to stay healthy as well but didn't. Same thing, right?

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Ovi is by far the greatest goal scorer of this generation and arguably all time. Since he joined the league 15 years ago, nobody has been consistently as dominant as him when it comes to scoring. He’s NEVER scored less than 30 goals in any season and he scored 40 or more goals in 10 out of his 15 years in the league.

Yes, but some garbage assist totals. He's got a high career assist count but 21, 28 and this season looks like another garbage one. When assist count is low like that is 30+ still as impressive? Stamkos had under 30 goals but 59 assists with Kucherov. Ovi had 59 assists before but not recently.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Yes, but some garbage assist totals. He's got a high career assist count but 21, 28 and this season looks like another garbage one. When assist count is low like that is 30+ still as impressive? Stamkos had under 30 goals but 59 assists with Kucherov. Ovi had 59 assists before but not recently.

stamkos also plays center and theoretically has the puck on his stick more. Also, the question is about goal scoring and not about playmaking assists. I don’t think anyone would argue Ovi is better than Stamkos when it comes to passing/dishing the puck. Ovi’s game is to score score score. He’s one of the greatest goal scorers of a time. He should be looking to shoot as his 1st, 2nd, and 3rd options.

he also gets enough assists though. He’s over a PPG player in his career. Even though his points are mostly goals he still puts up his fair share of assists.

Ovi is paid to score goals and he delivers . As long as he’s scoring 40+ goals I highly doubt the capitals care about what his assist totals are.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
stamkos also plays center and theoretically has the puck on his stick more. Also, the question is about goal scoring and not about playmaking assists. I don’t think anyone would argue Ovi is better than Stamkos when it comes to passing/dishing the puck. Ovi’s game is to score score score. He’s one of the greatest goal scorers of a time. He should be looking to shoot as his 1st, 2nd, and 3rd options.

he also gets enough assists though. He’s over a PPG player in his career. Even though his points are mostly goals he still puts up his fair share of assists.

Ovi is paid to score goals and he delivers . As long as he’s scoring 40+ goals I highly doubt the capitals care about what his assist totals are.

Actually I'd argue Ovi is better playmaker than Stamkos, though I think his recent assist totals are garbage, and I don't watch Stamkos regularly.

My argument would be based on gems like below, though I'm sure Stamkos has some really good ones too.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Actually I'd argue Ovi is better playmaker than Stamkos, though I think his recent assist totals are garbage, and I don't watch Stamkos regularly.

My argument would be based on gems like below, though I'm sure Stamkos has some really good ones too.

I never said Ovi was bad I just stated that wasn’t his bread and better and Stamkos is probably better in that area. After 15 years I’m sure he’ll have some great passes and highlights.

Reactions: peterthegreat12

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Comparing possibly the best goal scorer of all time to some basically irrelevant guy on Tampa? Just lol.

And that's exactly why this your argument is "what have you done for me lately". Ovechkin was neck and neck with Crosby, then he was a bum while Stamkos torched the league. Mike Milbury woke Ovi up, and Stamkos got injured, and their paths changed.

Have a look at this, when Ovi was considered a joke on HFboards, before he was woken up.

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
And that's exactly why this your argument is "what have you done for me lately". Ovechkin was neck and neck with Crosby, then he was a bum while Stamkos torched the league. Mike Milbury woke Ovi up, and Stamkos got injured, and their paths changed.

Have a look at this, when Ovi was considered a joke on HFboards, before he was woken up.

Bud, I'm looking at their careers as a whole.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Amazing how short sighted this forum is. People are really forgetting how dominant and hyped a prime Stamkos was. It's a reasonable thing to discuss how much closer to Ovi he'd be in legacy if he stayed healthy. Yes Ovi gets credit for his durability but there was a point in time where these two were neck and neck in goal scoring dominance at the time.

Nah f*** that man. As a hockey fan just hearing the name Stamkos back then just generated so much hype and would make the hair on your neck stand. Was way more exciting watching him then than now

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Was Stamkos one of the best goal scorers on his generation? Yes.

Was he THE BEST goal scorer of his era? No. That's Ovechkin. The Dragonborn.

They're not as far off as many people seem to express in this thread, but there's enough difference you can objectively make the above statement and most would agree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad