Healthy Stamkos vs Ovi

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Stamkos from 09-10 season until now has a GPG of 0.55. Ovi has 0.585.

Ovi has been healthy. Stamkos has battled blood clot, broken leg and more. He also was a playmaker one season to Kucherov.

I'm big Ovi fan, but would Stamkos match him if he had healthy career like Ovi? Stamkos was seen as new best goalscorer in league when Ovi fell off in '10-11 and even scored 60. But a few seasons later after he suffered some brutal injuries. Ovi then coincidentally got back on his game.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
No, twice even. Once in the moment, and then again a few years from then when we all look back and laugh at how we thought someone else would even be close.

So kind of like right now.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Probably not. Stamkos' career will go down as a big what-if though. He was playing the best hockey of his life at the start of 2013-14 before breaking his leg and wasn't himself for years. We probably missed out on a couple of crazy Rocket races between the two.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
No, twice even. Once in the moment, and then again a few years from then when we all look back and laugh at how we thought someone else would even be close.

So kind of like right now.

Exceppppt, that it was laughed at some point to think that Ovi would ever score 50 goals again. When Stamkos was on, people were calling Ovi washed up. So, consider what you laugh at, because it can switch around fast.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Exceppppt, that it was laughed at some point to think that Ovi would ever score 50 goals again. When Stamkos was on, people were calling Ovi washed up. So, consider what you laugh at, because it can switch around fast.
Those people were the ones hoping for it the most, and anyone with eyes on the situation saw the mitigating factors. You’re taking some high and mighty tone but basically just repeating my point. It was funny while it was happening, and additionally funny now looking back at it. That goes for forecasting Ovechkin’s decline as well as continually rushing to anoint the next one while possibly the greatest goal scorer of all time is still actively doing his thing, again.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Stamkos from 09-10 season until now has a GPG of 0.55. Ovi has 0.585.

Ovi has been healthy. Stamkos has battled blood clot, broken leg and more. He also was a playmaker one season to Kucherov.

I'm big Ovi fan, but would Stamkos match him if he had healthy career like Ovi? Stamkos was seen as new best goalscorer in league when Ovi fell off in '10-11 and even scored 60. But a few seasons later after he suffered some brutal injuries. Ovi then coincidentally got back on his game.

Apparently having one year of a poor shooting % means you've fallen off. If Ovi even matched his career average s% that year he scores 47

Reactions: peterthegreat12

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I'd say no. Would have been interesting to see Stamkos without those injury plagued seasons but you can only go by the games you play.

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
Without the injuries yeah I think it had the potential to be close. They both love that one timer from the left circle but they are quite different. Ovechkin is more aggressive with a more wild, harder, unpredictable shot. Stamkos is a little more predictable but controlled and more accurate. Ovy has 5,474 career shots, thats 1,200 more than any active player and more than double what Stamkos has taken (2,473).

Last edited:
Reactions: User9992

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad