OT: Health and Fitness Thread ‎III

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I was a soda fiend for years. It was my go to drink. I finally cut usage by around 95%. I'll still have a soda 1-2 times a week but that is it. Water and Gatorade Zero are my go to drinks now.

Been struggling to get back walking- bad spring weather & my mother's death kinda wrecked my mindset for awhile. So far I've gone every day this week.
I really can't do caffeine at all these days. Messes up my breathing. I tried the crystal light powder with caffeine and that was a mistake.

I love the regular crystal light but it has aspartame which I've only heard terrible things about, so I probably need to find an alternative :(

Reactions: bbfan419

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I really can't do caffeine at all these days. Messes up my breathing. I tried the crystal light powder with caffeine and that was a mistake.

I love the regular crystal light but it has aspartame which I've only heard terrible things about, so I probably need to find an alternative :(

Caffeine keeps me wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddde awake so now when I have soda it is always caffeine free.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I was a soda fiend for years. It was my go to drink. I finally cut usage by around 95%. I'll still have a soda 1-2 times a week but that is it. Water and Gatorade Zero are my go to drinks now.

Been struggling to get back walking- bad spring weather & my mother's death kinda wrecked my mindset for awhile. So far I've gone every day this week.
I was the same at one time, I would drink Pepsi almost everyday, then cut it down to one now and then which is fine, but now just avoid it after having kidney stones, they told me to drink less pop and more water. I go to the gym 6-7 days a week along with lots of outdoors stuff. Just stick with it and do your best, you will get there. Sorry to hear about your mom, that is never easy to lose a parent, all the best to you.

Reactions: sooshii

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB

Yep stay away from aspartame also known as acesulfame potassium as well as NutraSweet and Equal

Reactions: Dueling Banjos

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I was the same at one time, I would drink Pepsi almost everyday, then cut it down to one now and then which is fine, but now just avoid it after having kidney stones, they told me to drink less pop and more water. I go to the gym 6-7 days a week along with lots of outdoors stuff. Just stick with it and do your best, you will get there. Sorry to hear about your mom, that is never easy to lose a parent, all the best to you.
Thank you @bbfan419

Reactions: bbfan419

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
Advisory: FLU is still going around something fierce. Been knocked on my ass since Tuesday. Haven’t been this sick in years. If you’re headed to a public or private indoor space, a mask may be a solid idea. This is brutal.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Screenshot_20220514-075639_Fitbit.jpg

Losing weight is doing great things for my resting heart rate, according to Fitbit.

Got a two mile walk in already this morning while wearing my Bruins sweatshirt :D

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Screenshot_20220517-212101_Fitbit.jpg
I can't remember the last time I got 10,000+ steps in on 7 consecutive days.

I am exhausted lol.

I bought some trekking poles to help with some balance issues and also hopefully add a bit of an arm workout to my walks. But I think it's going to take some practice. I don't feel nearly as coordinated as it seems you have to be to use them lol.

Reactions: Gee Wally

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Im 6'1 and can't get over 175ish, no matter what I eat, feel too skinny though(currently at 165) but its like my body doesn't want to gain any weight.

I remember going to the gym and seeing people like that all the time, trying to put on weight and get bigger but they just couldn't, no matter how hard they tried and I was hitting the gym hard, cardio and weights, trying to get ripped down. It was hard with a large natural build. People would say you look great why do u want to slim down and I'd say to them U look great why on earth do u want to get bigger ? I guess its all in the eye of the beholder but many of us for what ever reason aren't happy with how we are even if we are the envy of others and many of us are the envy of them. If that makes any sense. lol

Last edited:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Got in almost three and a half miles this morning. But the dewpoint and humidity....blerrrrrgggggghhhhhhh. I was actually thankful the sprinklers were on, I purposefully walked through a couple :laugh:

Reactions: Gee Wally

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Got in almost three and a half miles this morning. But the dewpoint and humidity....blerrrrrgggggghhhhhhh. I was actually thankful the sprinklers were on, I purposefully walked through a couple :laugh:
Ran my first organized race in a while on Saturday.

The humidity was no joke, and it was hilly.

I finished in 25:25 (8:12 pace).

Time to start ramping my distance back up.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Ran my first organized race in a while on Saturday.

The humidity was no joke, and it was hilly.

I finished in 25:25 (8:12 pace).

Time to start ramping my distance back up.
Running, hills, and humidity sounds like a terrible combination lol

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Found my old high school varsity jacket and corduroy coat (hey it was the 80s ok?) when cleaning out a closet. Decided to see if I can fit into them again yet LOL.

Well...I was able to get them snapped, so I was impressed with that at least :laugh:

Reactions: BMC

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I found a bag of clothes in the depths of my closet that have not seen the light of day in a very long time. Including one shirt that I know has not been worn since the late 90s.

It fits again.

I may or may not have ugly cried and then bebopped around the house to Celebration by Kool and the Gang.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
. I'm still feeling the after effects of the heat exhaustion I was diagnosed with last summer. I had to stop walking because of the heat & humidity, my body simply cannot tolerate it anymore. And since I'm not walking I literally feel listless & in general like crap which in turn affects my motivation. It's a vicious circle. :(

Reactions: Aeroforce

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
. I'm still feeling the after effects of the heat exhaustion I was diagnosed with last summer. I had to stop walking because of the heat & humidity, my body simply cannot tolerate it anymore. And since I'm not walking I literally feel listless & in general like crap which in turn affects my motivation. It's a vicious circle. :(
Something you can try and it only takes ten minutes a day but when you are done that lifeless listless body groggy feeling should be gone and you'll be ready to tackle your day.

If you have an elliptical, stationary bike, mountain climber (not a treadmill - you need to be able to instantly go into a sprint and instantly out of a sprint) - plan for a ten minute work out. I use an elliptical.

First three minutes a normal casual pace, nothing crazy just a comfortable pace.

Then a the 3 minute mark sprint for 20 seconds, then go back to the comfortable pace you were using to start.

Repeat the 20 second sprint at the 5 and 7 minute marks.

Finish up with the comfortable pace.

I've read that if done correctly (really pushing yourself during the sprints) this ten minutes can equal a 40 minute cardio workout.

If nothing else ... you will be awake and ready to go when done.

Side note: I've been doing this since 2016 as part of my workout route (usually I do ten minutes before lifting and ten minutes after) health and fitness wise it's great ... and I can really tell the difference in how I feel on the 'off' days when I don't do this - it's tough to get moving. But the days I do this, even if I don't lift, I feel great.

Reactions: BMC

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Something you can try and it only takes ten minutes a day but when you are done that lifeless listless body groggy feeling should be gone and you'll be ready to tackle your day.

If you have an elliptical, stationary bike, mountain climber (not a treadmill - you need to be able to instantly go into a sprint and instantly out of a sprint) - plan for a ten minute work out. I use an elliptical.

First three minutes a normal casual pace, nothing crazy just a comfortable pace.

Then a the 3 minute mark sprint for 20 seconds, then go back to the comfortable pace you were using to start.

I've read that if done correctly (really pushing yourself during the sprints) this ten minutes can equal a 40 minute cardio workout.

Side note: I've been doing this since 2016 as part of my workout route (usually I do ten minutes before lifting and ten minutes after) health and fitness wise it's great ... and I can really tell the difference in how I feel on the 'off' days when I don't do this - it's tough to get moving. But the days I do this, even if I don't lift, I feel great.

Yup, HIIT cardio works great.

Most treadmills now can handle it as well, they have a "speed interval" setting where you set the walking pace and sprinting pace and switch between the 2 with 1 button push.

As you get comfortable, you should up the sprint time as well. Start with alternating 2 minutes of walk and 30 seconds of sprint, then progress to 2 minutes of walk and 1 min of sprint and finally 1 min of walk and 1 min of sprint.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

I've got a bike so I'll give this a try. Thanks! :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad