OT: Health and Fitness Thread ‎III

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I bike for an hour every other day,no roads-ever. Mountain biking or Trail riding. In winter I use a Wahoo Smart Trainer and my bike in the basement,using Zwift.
Love mountain biking, get off the roads and into the woods, beer tastes better after, just like with any other activity tbh

Reactions: BNHL

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
1662643833982.png

I could expound on this much further about the statin-cholesterol-red meat hoax. Hiding unhealthy heart outcomes in a low-fat diet trial: the Women’s Health Initiative Randomized Controlled Dietary Modification Trial finds that postmenopausal women with established coronary heart disease were at increased risk of an adverse outcome i… | Open Heart

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Good for my hockey legs,and knees in general.
What size bike do you use? I bought a cheap one off craigslist 2 years ago but Im sure its too small for me. My back and knees hurt the day after. Im about 6'2. Ive raised the handlebars to max and seat to max. I love mountain biking. but the good bikes are like 5K.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
What size bike do you use? I bought a cheap one off craigslist 2 years ago but Im sure its too small for me. My back and knees hurt the day after. Im about 6'2. Ive raised the handlebars to max and seat to max. I love mountain biking. but the good bikes are like 5K.
26" Medium. I took up biking to see if it could help my achy knees. About 1900 miles later,about 120 rides over about 8 months,my knees were 85% better. I couldn't walk up stairs after hockey and eventually stopped playing. Now I'm back playing once a week,with no discomfort. I do take naproxen before hockey and before bed after hockey.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014

Are you looking at full suspension bike or hardtail?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Im not going hardcore. Just the cheapest bike I can find to go in trails that are in forest.
Something like this is what I have and I can go anywhere. I ride 70% paths/paved and 30% MTB. This is my 3rd year,over 4500 miles on bike,no issues.https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/roam-disc-4

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
1662833553680.png

This is an Advanced lipid profile,the only cholesterol test with validity. This person has a majority Pattern A LDL profile.This is the minimum cholesterol test we should be getting,not useless Total Cholesterol counts.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Training for a marathon in November.

I got an 11 mile run in on Saturday and was feeling great until I stayed to play goalie for a 2nd game last night.

Went down into the butterfly and felt my knee pop.

No bueno.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Training for a marathon in November.

I got an 11 mile run in on Saturday and was feeling great until I stayed to play goalie for a 2nd game last night.

Went down into the butterfly and felt my knee pop.

No bueno.
Sorry to hear that.

I have been in therapy for 4 weeks dealing with a bum hip. Therapy is going well in that I can do more of the excersises. However I am worried something more serious is hiding because my ability to walk is not getting better. PT said 4 more weeks til I can walk normal on Wednesday. I’m not sure I believe it. Probably going to call for an MRI today.

Reactions: smithformeragent

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
5 weeks removed from a nasty knee sprain on my birthday. Went down into the butterfly and felt a pop.

Smack dab in the middle of my marathon training.

I ended up taking almost two weeks off aside from some light lifting. Hit the elliptical a bit as I eased back into things.

Wore a compression sleeve to hockey and started ramping back up in terms of running. I’m two weeks away from my marathon and I hit 17 miles yesterday.

Knee feels pretty good all things considered. If I can hit 20 miles next Saturday, I’ve got a shot.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
5 weeks removed from a nasty knee sprain on my birthday. Went down into the butterfly and felt a pop.

Smack dab in the middle of my marathon training.

I ended up taking almost two weeks off aside from some light lifting. Hit the elliptical a bit as I eased back into things.

Wore a compression sleeve to hockey and started ramping back up in terms of running. I’m two weeks away from my marathon and I hit 17 miles yesterday.

Knee feels pretty good all things considered. If I can hit 20 miles next Saturday, I’ve got a shot.
I don't even like driving 17 miles in my car :laugh: I don't think I could ever be a runner

Reactions: BMC and Gee Wally

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Last long run before the marathon two weeks from tomorrow.

Ran 20 miles.

I’ll be eating an entire extra large thin crust Uno pepperoni pizza tonight.
I was craving pizza something fierce earlier this week, but I did not cave!!!

But now I want domino's stuffed cheesy bread :oops:

Back to the housework before I decide to drive the one mile to the closest domino's....

• Love
Reactions: smithformeragent

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
So. Got on the scale this morning, down 6 pounds this week. I only weigh once a week, and the last couple months it will go up a pound or two, then drop a little, then another small gain, then a big drop. So weird. Anyway the good news is it's a consistent downward trend since March when I finally said enough is enough. Total since that time is over 68 pounds gone bye-bye. My birthday present to me (although by my birthday in March it will hopefully be a little more gone than that).

You know what this calls for

VIRTUAL cookies

Easiest-Chocolate-Chip-Cookies-800-2.jpg

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
So. Got on the scale this morning, down 6 pounds this week. I only weigh once a week, and the last couple months it will go up a pound or two, then drop a little, then another small gain, then a big drop. So weird. Anyway the good news is it's a consistent downward trend since March when I finally said enough is enough. Total since that time is over 68 pounds gone bye-bye. My birthday present to me (although by my birthday in March it will hopefully be a little more gone than that).

VIRTUAL cookies

View attachment 601057
Awesome job with the dropping of pounds!!! Well done!

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

VIRTUAL cookies

View attachment 601057

What exactly are you doing? I dropped 35 pounds and am keeping it off but I want to lose more.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
What exactly are you doing? I dropped 35 pounds and am keeping it off but I want to lose more.
Woohoo for your weight loss! :hockey::5:

I'm doing Weight Watchers, although I'm doing it online/through the app. I'm not going to meetings. I may change my mind as I get closer to "lifetime" weight (essentially your medically ideal weight) because if you weigh in once a month in person and maintain within a certain range of your lifetime weight, you don't have to pay for membership any more.

As far as actual food goes though, cutting out soda was huge for me. And junk food/fast food. I was all about convenience when it came to eating. Now it's more quality. Lately my "candy" has been mandarins and grapes. Had you told me a year ago that's what I'd enjoy now, I promise I'd have laughed at you.

Not to say I don't occasionally have something "bad" (hello Lindt truffles) but it's just that... occasional.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad