Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I think it's pretty interested how Woodcroft went to seemingly failing brutally as an assistant/PP coach here to being arguably head coach of the year in Bako.

Maybe he wasn't so bad after all. Now that he's actually in charge of it all, he is coaching arguably the best team in the entire AHL to a strong playoff performance thus far. Dressing 7D so Bouchard can be eased in as well. He seems to be making a lot of great decisions down there.

Not necessarily saying he should be the head coach up here, but damn he seems to be doing great things as a head coach.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think it's pretty interested how Woodcroft went to seemingly failing brutally as an assistant/PP coach here to being arguably head coach of the year in Bako.

Maybe he wasn't so bad after all. Now that he's actually in charge of it all, he is coaching arguably the best team in the entire AHL to a strong playoff performance thus far. Dressing 7D so Bouchard can be eased in as well. He seems to be making a lot of great decisions down there.

Not necessarily saying he should be the head coach up here, but damn he seems to be doing great things as a head coach.
that's fair,

and really, it is possible that he doesn't get fair consideration by fans because they go so eager to "clean house". Same with Keith Gretzky for GM. If we don't take them because they aren't as good as other candidates, then fine, but that better be the only reason.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

felt like this should be posted here, cause of the prior rumor that if Mark Hunter is hired, DJ Smith is his guy.

BTW Leafs fans have about as much contempt for Smith as we did last year for Woodcroft, for a pretty similar reason as well (special teams performance).

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
David Perron: "Hopefully we don't turn into Hitch daily with a line update where we talk about a new line and it's going to be the whole solution of our problems. I think we've just got to play hard and we've got to be on the inside more."

I really hope the new GM doesn't rehire this guy

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
David Perron: "Hopefully we don't turn into Hitch daily with a line update where we talk about a new line and it's going to be the whole solution of our problems. I think we've just got to play hard and we've got to be on the inside more."

Lol, "Hitch daily" is a thing with players? I totally get that unfortunately.

Reactions: rickysusedsht

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

There's also a lot of good AHL talent on the Condors.

Helps coaching a strong team vs a poor one regardless of the level.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Well, Jay has always been an assistant coach at the NHL level. Even if it is the AHL, his first year as a Head Coach has to be considered a success. I would think a couple more successful seasons at the Helm, he might get an opportunity with those credentials.
I’m not sure how much more he can get out of being Mclellan’s assistant. That in itself probably won’t get him closer to an NHL head coaching gig. If that was the route he’d have been a serious candidate for somebody by now. It wasn’t until he started coaching his own team that he started separating himself from the pack. Showing he can be a head coach somewhere is probably the best path for him right now. He’s in a good position where he is all of a sudden. Doesn’t make much sense to me that he’d leave right now at all especially for what would look to be a backwards move for him. This could change in a year or two if he continues to have success and teams start knocking on his door for an NHL head coaching gig or it could go the other way if he stops having success. Maybe hooking back up with Mclellan then, to become a lifelong assistant would look good again but not right now.

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
Kind of assuming Hunter gets named at GM at this point. I'm thinking we get a "young blood" coach with Leafs/OHL connections, I know DJ Smith's been rumoured, but Sheldon Keefe may also be an option, obviously Knoblauch as well.

Do we have a preference from Smith/Keefe/Knoblauch?

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
True but they didn’t start out very good. He was huge in turning that team around.

I'm with you on this, he clearly is a huge reason for why the AHL team is succeeding. They went from 4 years of sucking with pretty much the same players to being awesome. Either it's a fluke or the coach actually did something.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Kind of assuming Hunter gets named at GM at this point. I'm thinking we get a "young blood" coach with Leafs/OHL connections, I know DJ Smith's been rumoured, but Sheldon Keefe may also be an option, obviously Knoblauch as well.

Do we have a preference from Smith/Keefe/Knoblauch?

Might as well go all in.

GM: Mark Hunter
Head Coach: Dale Hunter
Asst Coach: Dylan Hunter

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

ouch
Hitch is a dinosaur and was from day 1...despite his boasting that he'd "fix" the problems with the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad