Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I'm actually very worried that just when we get out of a big slow methodical hockey structure, the league goes back to it. The playoffs are not giving me a good feeling.

I would disagree about tippet. He got terrible hockey teams and terrible players to completely overachieve. Arizona had no one and his teams while not good, should have been last every year
He got 77 points out a 44 year old Whitney. That's pretty impressive.

He still wouldn't be my first choice of hire.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Tippett isn't a good coach. He got absolutely nothing out of most of his guys in Arizona for his entire tenure.

Hiring Holland to then hire Tippett would be a sign that Holland was the absolute worst choice and I like Holland.

Hiring Holland and him hiring Tippett means their idea is slow, big and methodical hockey which would get absolutely in today's NHL.

McDavid and Draisaitls offense would drop. The teams defense would improve slightly but the team would still wallow in ****

Disagree on his results in Arizona. He took a terrible Arizona team to the playoffs several years in a row and made a very good run one year.

The talent he had to work with was bare bones outside 1-2 players. How is that working out for us here? Pretty much the same.

And one thing with Tippets teams, you rarely out worked them. They simply didn’t have the talent to compete. I saw a ton of Coyote games in Arizona in my time there. He did a lot with next to nothing.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
Tippett is a genius choice.

It was Rieder's fault they missed the playoffs. Rieder played his best hockey under Tippett. Guaranteed playoffs.
Bobby burgers already gave Rieder his walking papers (stupid really ,he probably comes cheap and statistically can't recreate last year. most likely returns to his average) , If the new gm's biggest "over the obc's head" move is to resign toby and not fire the red wine club we're screwed.

all this holland talk is keeping my Nelson dream alive though.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Bobby burgers already gave Rieder his walking papers (stupid really ,he probably comes cheap and statistically can't recreate last year. most likely returns to his average) , If the new gm's biggest "over the obc's head" move is to resign toby and not fire the red wine club we're screwed.

I love it. That would be 4D underwater chess.

Blame the season on Rieder and tell everyone he won't be back, so the new GM can come in and re-sign Rieder to show the fans that the OBC isn't in charge anymore.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta

Reider made $2M last year, is an RFA with arbitration eligiblity and would have to get a raise. Unless he's actually a goalie, no goals on 94 shots doesn't cut it. Not worth it to find a coach just to try and motivate him.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Disagree on his results in Arizona. He took a terrible Arizona team to the playoffs several years in a row and made a very good run one year.

The talent he had to work with was bare bones outside 1-2 players. How is that working out for us here? Pretty much the same.

And one thing with Tippets teams, you rarely out worked them. They simply didn’t have the talent to compete. I saw a ton of Coyote games in Arizona in my time there. He did a lot with next to nothing.
Tip would get more out of the rank and file Oiler players, he basically got blood out of a stone for years in AZ, the team way over achieved. Many AZ players that went elsewhere saw their stats/play suffer. Tip got 35+ points out of Reider just one example of getting more with less. McD/Drai will learn to be more complete players as well.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Tip would get more out of the rank and file Oiler players, he basically got blood out of a stone for years in AZ, the team way over achieved. Many AZ players that went elsewhere saw their stats/play suffer. Tip got 35+ points out of Reider just one example of getting more with less. McD/Drai will learn to be more complete players as well.

Give McDavid and Drai the green light and then trap like hell with the lack of skill on the other lines.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Isn't that basically what they were supposed to be doing under Hitchcock? That worked ... for like 8 games.

Worked until Klefbom got hurt and Sekera was still out. That left Nurse all by himself as our only decent puck mover. Sekera looked better than most expected when he came back so that’s a potential positive moving forward into next season. I think priority 1 should be doing anything we can to unload Russell and Lucic’s contracts.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Worked until Klefbom got hurt and Sekera was still out. That left Nurse all by himself as our only decent puck mover. Sekera looked better than most expected when he came back so that’s a potential positive moving forward into next season. I think priority 1 should be doing anything we can to unload Russell and Lucic’s contracts.

I think it's going to be a problem because to move contracts like means you're giving away draft picks most likely and I don't think Ken Holland or Keith Gretzky for that matter are gonna be on board with that.

They may just ride out this season with both and then see what can be done the summer after this one. Russell is only 1 year left and should be easy to move, Lucic gets progressively easier to move with less term and declining salary.

I think honestly their best bet is to try and find the best 1A/B goalie they can ... they must have good goaltending to make up for numerous other team weaknesses, and probably need a vet.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I think it's going to be a problem because to move contracts like means you're giving away draft picks most likely and I don't think Ken Holland or Keith Gretzky for that matter are gonna be on board with that.

They may just ride out this season with both and then see what can be done the summer after this one. Russell is only 1 year left and should be easy to move, Lucic gets progressively easier to move with less term and declining salary.

I think honestly their best bet is to try and find the best 1A/B goalie they can ... they must have good goaltending to make up for numerous other team weaknesses, and probably need a vet.

All very true. Just sucks to think we’re going to waste another year getting rid of the scars that chia left us with.

I agree ride Koskinen when he’s hot but they need a real option for the other roster spot. Not sure who’s available, but there’s always a few guys every year.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
At this point in time my opinion on the coach is that I do not want Hitch coaching this team next season.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
AV hires Therrien. LOL, it’s like an ex-Habs coach reunion over there.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Why do we hate Babcock again?

Babcock IS TMac.
They're the same coach. Rolling lines, no matching at all.

Watch the Game 7 loss to the Bruins as one of the most pathetic displays of coaching I'd seen in the modern era.

Down by a goal for nearly an entire period... play Mathews 18mins.

Who do they put on as the extra attacker? Old, useless Patrick Marleau.

How the hell does that not scream Tmac to you? He let their prize stables get matched against AT HOME.

Last edited:
Reactions: McBooya42

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Reider made $2M last year, is an RFA with arbitration eligiblity and would have to get a raise. Unless he's actually a goalie, no goals on 94 shots doesn't cut it. Not worth it to find a coach just to try and motivate him.
You don’t qualify him and can sign him for less.

Whether or not he would sign here is a different story.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

tV5idZx.gif

Yes. Bring him home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad