Head Coach discussion

Who will be the first coach in franchise history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Tocchet would be a disappointment, an uninspired choice. This just seems like it would be another "boys club" hiring where mediocre coaches get picked because they know somebody so they just get recycled endlessly in a closed loop. I hope Francis can think further out of the box than that.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Tocchet would be a disappointment, an uninspired choice. This just seems like it would be another "boys club" hiring where mediocre coaches get picked because they know somebody so they just get recycled endlessly in a closed loop. I hope Francis can think further out of the box than that.

and a unproved head coach that never been at least a nhl ach wont do us any good. It'll be an embarrassment of a disaster. You start such a person as an ACH then promote as a HC.

Last edited:

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
and a unproved head coach that never been at least a nhl ach wont do us any good. It'll be an embarrassment of a disaster. You start such a person as an ACH then promote as a HC.

Would Lane Lambert also be an "embarassmennt" as well?

I mean, he's never been a head coach in the NHL before.

Overall I'm open to a lot of directions but given Francis hires so far I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't someone he has played/worked with before.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Would Lane Lambert also be an "embarassmennt" as well?

I mean, he's never been a head coach in the NHL before.

Overall I'm open to a lot of directions but given Francis hires so far I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't someone he has played/worked with before.

But he's been an assistant Head Coach so he does have some experience at the NHL level coaching wise. So i wouldn't have an issue with that. The issue is having a bunch of people that never ever been a coach before in the NHL at all.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
But he's been an assistant Head Coach so he does have some experience at the NHL level coaching wise. So i wouldn't have an issue with that. The issue is having a bunch of people that never ever been a coach before in the NHL at all.

I haven't seen a lot of talk on here about guys without any NHL experience.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
RBA likely stays in Carolina. Hence, would go get Lane Lambert. He would be a great hire and is respected around the league. The Islanders continuation in the playoffs might be the reason the Kraken are still waiting to announce their head coach. Certainly, without question Francis should interview Lambert once available. Hopefully, the previous two interviews with Tocchet are just for a fall back.

Reactions: Nordekes

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
either way, fans need to stop being nitpicky on who seattle hires, we aren't going to get the best coach ever with the perfect resume as our first coach.

heck, i even seen lets hire an outside of the league coach with an unproven track record just so we don't hire anyone that coached in the NHL either as a HC or an AHC... God our fanbase can be so darn annoying. I would almost put them the worst fanbase in the league if it wasn't for vegas existing.

This is a discussion board after all. I definitely am not a fan of Tochett as the Kraken coach and it is more knowing him from the Pens as an assistant. And I don't have a problem voicing that opinion. Honestly I think the people on the Kraken HF have been quite knowledgeable and well informed. I enjoy reading people's opinions on here so far.

Reactions: jbron

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
This is a discussion board after all. I definitely am not a fan of Tochett as the Kraken coach and it is more knowing him from the Pens as an assistant. And I don't have a problem voicing that opinion. Honestly I think the people on the Kraken HF have been quite knowledgeable and well informed. I enjoy reading people's opinions on here so far.
Well, look at the post counts, most of the people posting are fans of other teams. Wait until the noobs start showing up.

Reactions: brewski420

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Here's the thing from the other places i read stuff kraken wise for coaching has been a basic no don't want from Bruce, Tochett, even Gallant (at one point but is a moot point now that he passed on us and signed with NYR), Tortorella etc. There's Rod but he's a legitimate a no not going to happen imo (he's doesn't want to move cross country and uproot his family).

The facebook group i am on the commen replay on Tortorella is a no do not want.

Its fine to have a discussion but when its more than just a "no do not want". I am not even sure what people want for a HC. HF here is the only place where a simple detailed conversation about the coaching search is actually happening at else where its just out right difficult.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Friedman believes that Tocchet has "the inside track" according to an interview on NHL Network.

As a Coyotes fan, that's really unfortunate.

There are many, many things wrong with Rick Tocchet as an NHL head coach. Chief among them is that he never improved on any of his flaws in his years with AZ. He consistently made the same mistakes. Whether it was not understanding game management, playing lineup favorites, or getting his goalies hurt. Most damning of all is his complete lack of ability to adjust to what the other team is doing. The Coyotes would frequently go 15+ minutes without a shot because he does not know how to do basic things like adjust spacing or breakouts to respond to other teams.

He had the top PK coach in the league, had the 5th best GAA overall, and the Coyotes were scoring a lot shorthanded. He fired the guy (Scott Allen) very late in the summer because he wanted to bring in his buddy Phil Housley, who has gotten worse results. The reasoning was that Allen wasn't 'loud enough in the room' but Tocchet's teams would continue to struggle with 1st period efforts and being 'ready', up to having the worst 1st period differential this year. Tocchet still very much wants to be buddy-buddy with players like the 'good cop' role he had in Pittsburgh, but you can't do that as HC.

Guys just straight up tune out Tocchet after a month or two. His teams consistently cratered because guys would not skate at 110% speed just to have a small prayer of his misguided tactics working. Tocchet really only knows how to poorly mimic what the Pens do, having never spent any amount of time as a tactical assistant elsewhere and exactly zero time as a HC in the lower leagues. Most worryingly, he is a massive country club enabler. Having his buddy as GM makes that environment potentially even worse.

Tocchet has an absurd amount of friends scattered around the league in the old boys club who will pump his tires relentlessly. I found myself tuning in to a Rangers game this year and was treated to Brian Boucher somehow navigating the conversation to Tocchet and insisting on national TV that "you gotta get a contract extension done! [if you are AZ]"

Everything Tocchet was as a player is projected on to him as a coach, but his teams don't play that way at all, and he just skates on by without results. He was a disaster in Tampa and was a disaster in AZ by the end.

I hope you guys end up with someone else.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
As a Coyotes fan, that's really unfortunate.

There are many, many things wrong with Rick Tocchet as an NHL head coach. Chief among them is that he never improved on any of his flaws in his years with AZ. He consistently made the same mistakes. Whether it was not understanding game management, playing lineup favorites, or getting his goalies hurt. Most damning of all is his complete lack of ability to adjust to what the other team is doing. The Coyotes would frequently go 15+ minutes without a shot because he does not know how to do basic things like adjust spacing or breakouts to respond to other teams.

He had the top PK coach in the league, had the 5th best GAA overall, and the Coyotes were scoring a lot shorthanded. He fired the guy (Scott Allen) very late in the summer because he wanted to bring in his buddy Phil Housley, who has gotten worse results. The reasoning was that Allen wasn't 'loud enough in the room' but Tocchet's teams would continue to struggle with 1st period efforts and being 'ready', up to having the worst 1st period differential this year. Tocchet still very much wants to be buddy-buddy with players like the 'good cop' role he had in Pittsburgh, but you can't do that as HC.

Guys just straight up tune out Tocchet after a month or two. His teams consistently cratered because guys would not skate at 110% speed just to have a small prayer of his misguided tactics working. Tocchet really only knows how to poorly mimic what the Pens do, having never spent any amount of time as a tactical assistant elsewhere and exactly zero time as a HC in the lower leagues. Most worryingly, he is a massive country club enabler. Having his buddy as GM makes that environment potentially even worse.

Tocchet has an absurd amount of friends scattered around the league in the old boys club who will pump his tires relentlessly. I found myself tuning in to a Rangers game this year and was treated to Brian Boucher somehow navigating the conversation to Tocchet and insisting on national TV that "you gotta get a contract extension done! [if you are AZ]"

Everything Tocchet was as a player is projected on to him as a coach, but his teams don't play that way at all, and he just skates on by without results. He was a disaster in Tampa and was a disaster in AZ by the end.

I hope you guys end up with someone else.

Agree with all this. His being buddies with certain players in Pittsburgh being a big one along with the inability to adjust.

Last edited:
Reactions: ultradan

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Brind'Amour just got officially re-signed.

So this talk can finally stop, given that it wasn't ever anything real.

Last edited:

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Hoping it's Lambert and the longer it takes to announce Tocchet the better. Francis has to at least interview Lambert.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Former Coyotes board contributor here. Made myself an ultimatum after last season : if the team didn’t can Tocchet after their shambolic play post-AS Break to the COVID stoppage which took them from first to completely out of the playoffs…ONLY to be saved by the “play in” round then to get utterly battered in their “first” round capitulation to Colorado…I was done. I’d endured a lot of heartache supporting that team, and that was just it.

They kept him for this season…so I bailed.

Watched idly curious as the team rode Tocchet yet another year with same issues…and exact same disappointing results.

@XX said it perfectly. Importantly it benefits the league as a whole for Seattle to come out of the gate more like Las Vegas than Atlanta. I hope for everyone’s sake, your FO passes on Rick Tocchet.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Former Coyotes board contributor here. Made myself an ultimatum after last season : if the team didn’t can Tocchet after their shambolic play post-AS Break to the COVID stoppage which took them from first to completely out of the playoffs…ONLY to be saved by the “play in” round then to get utterly battered in their “first” round capitulation to Colorado…I was done. I’d endured a lot of heartache supporting that team, and that was just it.

They kept him for this season…so I bailed.

Watched idly curious as the team rode Tocchet yet another year with same issues…and exact same disappointing results.

@XX said it perfectly. Importantly it benefits the league as a whole for Seattle to come out of the gate more like Las Vegas than Atlanta. I hope for everyone’s sake, your FO passes on Rick Tocchet.

Not having Tocchet would not made the yotes team automatically better. Not everything going wrong with coyotes is all tocchets fault. And why do you even care who Seattle hires and doesn't hire...

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Not having Tocchet would not made the yotes team automatically better. Not everything going wrong with coyotes is all tocchets fault. And why do you even care who Seattle hires and doesn't hire...
Told you why, mate.

If the Rangers had hired Tocchet and he’s a dud then it’s just another misstep for an already storied franchise.

If Seattle comes out of the gate flailing and Atlanta Thrashers-level stumbles, it’s trajectory altering and makes the league as a whole look half-assed and second or even third rate by association.

Reactions: jbron

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast

When the Coyotes needed a prepared coach that could elevate the play and demeanor of the team they went 3-12 and found themselves out of the playoffs in April. Re watch the pathetic display and yes that falls on the head coach. The team faltered and was ill prepared. Maybe, Tocchet
already lost the locker room or he checked out. Under any scenario that doesn't bode well for his leadership style nor his ability to prepare a team when it really matters.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

Just out of curiosity are advocating for Tocchet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad