Head Coach discussion

Who will be the first coach in franchise history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Latvia beats Canada, 2-0 at World Championships. KHL champion Bob Hartley behind the bench for Latvia with Gallant coaching Canada.

And Columbus prospect Mattiss Kivlenieks (who could be available in the expansion draft) recording the shutout in net.

Just a coincidence or could this be a preview of the future in Seattle?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Latvia beats Canada, 2-0 at World Championships. KHL champion Bob Hartley behind the bench for Latvia with Gallant coaching Canada.

And Columbus prospect Mattiss Kivlenieks (who could be available in the expansion draft) recording the shutout in net.

Just a coincidence or could this be a preview of the future in Seattle?

Gallant could go with NYR coaching gig as far as we know.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
as someone who cheered for the coyotes for many years, tippett and tocchet are up there on my 'no god no' list. neither play exciting, fast-paced hockey, and i don't think either actively make their team better in today's nhl.

and coyotes are garbage regardless of who's the head coach so don't be pointing fingers at them for how the yotes are doing.

ultradan

hello fellow kids
Mar 21, 2010
and coyotes are garbage regardless of who's the head coach so don't be pointing fingers at them for how the yotes are doing.
the coyotes have some solid players that are being cast in the wrong roles which causes the team to suffer as a whole. as someone who's watched just about every game of theirs over the last 10+ years, there have been flashes of brilliance from the players that both tippett and tocchet have completely failed to use. tippett would play david moss and kyle chipchura on the top line despite neither of them possessing top line qualities. tocchet allowed kessel to play injured last season to keep the iron man streak going. there are a lot of failings in the desert, but coaching and ownership are where the fingers should be pointed if you're looking for the problem.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Joel Quenneville to Seattle?

Apparently extremely late to the party on this, but there is an undercurrent suggesting Joel Quenneville has his sights set on moving to Seattle to become the coach of the Kraken once his season is over with Florida, which might explain why Seattle general manager Ron Francis has moved so slowly on this hiring.

Though, I'm not sure how reliable the NY Post is on Quenneville or the Florida Panthers....

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Don't know about the validity of the above information but I could certainly get behind us getting Coach Q. Wanted him on the Sharks when they fired DeBoer but they went with Boughner instead ... :huh:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Hope for the sake of the franchise Quenneville is the first head coach in Seattle Kraken history. I think things might be going south for him in Florida considering the whole reason he went there in the first place was because of Dale Tallon, oh and it wasn't Buffalo. Tallon was gone for a while now, makes me think if Q leaves Florida they replace him with Tortorella considering Zito is directly connected with him.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
as someone who cheered for the coyotes for many years, tippett and tocchet are up there on my 'no god no' list. neither play exciting, fast-paced hockey, and i don't think either actively make their team better in today's nhl.
Yep. Tippett was always boring. And he is looking at a first round exit (getting swept) on a team with the McDavid and Draisaitl. Talk about underachieving.

Reactions: ultradan

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I just feel that Gallant is out. Either he is holding out for a non-expansion team OR we are just not interested.
Speaking of coaches with a history of underachieving.
I know Boudreau has a history of playoff failures but for an expansion team someone like him is not a bad coach to start off with. Playoff failures aside he does have a pretty good record in the regular season.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
FWIW his all-time coaching record is 567-302-115, which by math is considered a “winning” record.

And he's underachieved basically every time during the playoffs while his last stint in Minnesota wasn't anything special.

Sure, playoff success is not the most important factor right off the bat but there's probably a reason why no one has gone for him since Minny.
Also, If he would be the guy we could've gotten him a long time ago especially with him basically begging during that article in The Athletic.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
FWIW his all-time coaching record is 567-302-115, which by math is considered a “winning” record.
And how well did those teams do when it mattered most?

I just feel that Gallant is out. Either he is holding out for a non-expansion team OR we are just not interested.

I know Boudreau has a history of playoff failures but for an expansion team someone like him is not a bad coach to start off with. Playoff failures aside he does have a pretty good record in the regular season.
I'd say he underachieved in Minnesota with an average roster. His career record is skewed because he coached 2 very good teams

Reactions: periferal

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
And he's underachieved basically every time during the playoffs while his last stint in Minnesota wasn't anything special.

Sure, playoff success is not the most important factor right off the bat but there's probably a reason why no one has gone for him since Minny.
Also, If he would be the guy we could've gotten him a long time ago especially with him basically begging during that article in The Athletic.
Good point on both counts. I agree that he is also one of the coaches we would have already grabbed by now.

I am hoping we get someone sooner than later but I am perfectly fine waiting till after the SC is done if Francis has someone specific in mind. Should still give us like 3-4 weeks to get to work with them before the expansion draft.

wraparound

May 17, 2014
Good point on both counts. I agree that he is also one of the coaches we would have already grabbed by now.

I am hoping we get someone sooner than later but I am perfectly fine waiting till after the SC is done if Francis has someone specific in mind. Should still give us like 3-4 weeks to get to work with them before the expansion draft.

I really do think GMRF is waiting until the ink is dry on Brind'Amour's extension with Carolina before he accepts it won't happen & moves on.

As for Gabby, he probably would have interviewed by now at least. I liked him with Anaheim & despite his apparent game 7 hex he coached some of the more exciting seasons of Ducks hockey over the past decade & has a reputation for being a "player's coach" which I think would be essential in bringing an expansion team together.

Dineen is an interesting option, too. His track record & experience set seem promising!

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

He didn't say Boudreau isn't a "winning" coach. He said he's an "underachieving" coach. That means that no matter a coach's wining %, he believes that he should've achieved more.

wraparound

May 17, 2014
He didn't say Boudreau isn't a "winning" coach. He said he's an "underachieving" coach. That means that no matter a coach's wining %, he believes that he should've achieved more.

By what standard? Winning a championship? By that rubric every coach that doesn’t hoist the Cup is underachieving. He probably should’ve been more specific as to what wasn’t achieved that could have been, & maybe even elaborated as to why he felt that was achievable in the first place?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille