Head Coach discussion

Who will be the first coach in franchise history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Or selecting RT who has a career coaching record of 178-200-60 with one playoff appearance of which they lost in the first round.

Reactions: ultradan

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Or selecting RT who has a career coaching record of 178-200-60 with one playoff appearance of which they lost in the first round.

And coaching for a team that never was financially stable that also never have an actually functioning front office/management. I rather have Tocchet than some European person that think european style of hockey would actually work in the NHL.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
I think the jury is still out on Tocchet. I mean come on that lineup sucks and the boy wonder Chayka screwed that team. There is a reason no one wants their players at the trade deadline. Not saying Tocchet is the answer but I really dont think anyone could have done more with that mess.

Having said all that I would prefer Torts. It might get old in a few years but he'll get them playing the right way to start.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Rumored that if the Kraken don't hire Tocchet he could end up in Calgary as an assistant.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I don't believe Tocchet is a big analytics guy (he may have changed on that) which makes his potential hire a curious move. I will certainly have an open mind about him if hired.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I don't believe Tocchet is a big analytics guy (he may have changed on that) which makes his potential hire a curious move. I will certainly have an open mind about him if hired.

Here's the thing Tocchet if hired will actually be coaching for a team that has a well establishment quality management and FO. He hasn't had that before as a HC. His other head coaching jig was with tampa for a year and half back when that franchise was a mess. Note Tod Liewkee didn't become involved with tampa until 2010.

Reactions: Puckrobber

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
And coaching for a team that never was financially stable that also never have an actually functioning front office/management. I rather have Tocchet than some European person that think european style of hockey would actually work in the NHL.

Have you even looked at the background of Rikard Gronberg before making the statement about him and European hockey?
Or are you just reading about him via Facebook?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Have you even looked at the background of Rikard Gronberg before making the statement about him and European hockey?
Or are you just reading about him via Facebook?

And that still doesn't mean he'll transitional well over to NHL style of playing. NHL and European hockey are two different styles. If European coaches are so great why aren't we seeing more of them in the NHL?

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Ian Furness on Sportsnet.

Ian Furness: Who will be Seattle Kraken's head coach? - Sportsnet.ca

He says that Tocchet might not be a fit because he doesn't seem to embrace the analytical side of hockey enough.
He also thinks that there might be someone else out there and might even wait until after the expansion draft(I doubt that) or even hire a european coach.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Ian Furness on Sportsnet.

Ian Furness: Who will be Seattle Kraken's head coach? - Sportsnet.ca

He says that Tocchet might not be a fit because he doesn't seem to embrace the analytical side of hockey enough.
He also thinks that there might be someone else out there and might even wait until after the expansion draft(I doubt that) or even hire a european coach.

what does Furness know.... No way they'll wait until after the draft to hire a coach....

Also you don't give someone 3 interviews if you had no intention of hiring him.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
what does Furness know.... No way they'll wait until after the draft to hire a coach....

Also you don't give someone 3 interviews if you had no intention of hiring him.

Just asking.

Would you be happy with us hiring Tocchet?

I would certainly give him the benefit of the doubt but it would reek of the old boys club and wouldn't be an inspiring hire.

Reactions: brewski420

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Just asking.

Would you be happy with us hiring Tocchet?

I would certainly give him the benefit of the doubt but it would reek of the old boys club and wouldn't be an inspiring hire.

I'll be honest it doesn't matter. Its going to take a couple years to get the roster built out before we can seriously compete so any potential struggles before then will still happen no matter who the HC is and the annoying fanbase will still blame the coach anyways as if why we are struggling while ignoring that we are a brand new team from scratch.

But i feel European coach that has no knowledge of how the style of hockey is the NHL and tries to apply european style of hockey would be a bigger mess than hiring Tocchet.

The idea that we won't have an HC until august is out right stupid....

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
I agree in that the first coach is not as big of a deal as it was in let's say Vegas. Teams have learned from the last time, Seattle will take longer. I wouldn't give Tocchet too long of a contract though.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Most likely who ever the Kraken hire it will be two seasons at most before a coaching change is made. More telling in the hire is what this
franchise (ownership and management) wants to be know for. Francis hiring his old buddy, which is understandable, but reeks of something old fashion. Will the team step out and add a head coach that has adopted a full analytical approach to the game? Will the team hire a boring press coach personality or a firecracker personality? Which is better suited for Seattle? Will they hire a player coach or a systems coach? Will they bring in a head coach who prefers veterans or youth? The first coach is about how they arrived at that decision and how that individual fits for what they want for the future of the franchise. The hire is all about ownership and managements direction of the franchise.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Maybe these below have a reason why Tocchet needs three interviews to land the Kraken job.

In 2006, the former NHL All-Star and Phoenix Coyotes assistant coach, Rick Tocchet, pleaded guilty to third-degree charges of conspiracy and promoting gambling in connection to the sports betting ring accusations.

Rick-Tocchet-court-guilty.jpg
Rick Tocchet admitted during the scheduled hearing yesterday, that between 2002 and 2006 he was part of the illegal sports betting ring, with James Harney and James Ulmer.
The police investigation into the gambling ring began in 2005 when they found out that Harney, a former New Jersey State Trooper was involved in the illegal betting operation. Tocchet and others were targeting high rollers - high profile athletes, Travis Green, Jeremy Roenick, and even Wayne Gretzky's wife have admitted to placing wagers with this gambling ring.
Kevin Marino, attorney for Rick Tocchet, admitted that the guilty plea was a way for Tocchet to avoid jail time, and be sentenced to probation. Sentencing was set or August 17th.

Richard Tocchet, 47, of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, who played 18 seasons in the National Hockey League (NHL) for the Philadelphia Flyers, the Pittsburgh Penguins, the Los Angeles Kings, the Boston Bruins, the Washington Capitals, and the Phoenix Coyotes, was arrested at the Lynden Pindling International Airport on December 23 after he told a U.S. Customs border officer that he was not traveling with more than $10,000.
Tocchet was searched and found to have $18,752. He pleaded guilty to charges of making a false declaration when he appeared before Chief Magistrate Roger Gomez.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
He's had a couple jobs including Cup winning assistant and head coach since then so I think that's been pretty much put to bed.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
If Tocchet does end up in Seattle, I wonder if Kessel would waive his NMC to go there. Not that I think it makes much sense for the Kraken to select him, but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad