Head Coach discussion

Who will be the first coach in franchise history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Not if you follow the Rangers forums. They basically just wanted him to be gone.

I thought he did a solid job with a reabuilding team.
I know Rangers fans might have expected more but fith place in that division, especially with a couple guys(like Zibanejad) still affected from Corone etc. was a pretty solid season.

BTW: Sound of Hockey with a pretty good article on those coaching options.
Those guys are doing a really good job with their articles, podcast etc.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Montgomery hasn't actually turned the power play around for the Blues this year. He did have a ton of injuries to deal with, and do feel he is a good coach. Might be plucked as an assistant, but feel too early for the first head coach of the Kraken.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Montgomery hasn't actually turned the power play around for the Blues this year. He did have a ton of injuries to deal with, and do feel he is a good coach. Might be plucked as an assistant, but feel too early for the first head coach of the Kraken.
He was a really good head coach for Dallas, especially for a first-time coach, he only left due to his issues with drinking. I think his readiness will be based on how well he is doing with that.

That said, I've been a fan of Monty for years and wanted the Flames to hire him back when they fired Hartley.

Reactions: ultradan

ultradan

hello fellow kids
Mar 21, 2010
i would gladly take montgomery over tocchet 100 times out of 100 times. tocchet may make a good assistant coach, but he's shown he lacks the creativity to be a head coach at the NHL level at this time (unless we want a boring team that just turns over the puck and has no compete level, of course).

Reactions: generalshepherd141

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Well, Tocchet was rumored quite some time ago and has ties to Francis.

Looking at the hires so far(besides the analytical staff which probably has Alex Mandrycky's fingerprints all over it), basically everyone Francis has brought in was either a former teammate, scout etc. of his in Carolina, Hartford oder Pittsburgh.

So I wouldn't be surprised if Tocchet is the guy or at least an assistant coach with us.

BTW:
Bodie sounds interesting and would keep adding to our scouting department.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Don't want Francis turning a fresh new franchise into a men's club by hiring guys within the likes of Tocchet. Needs to hire a coach with full intentions to bring on a fresh look of winning to a new club, not his buddy.

I mean if it were Brind'Amour it's different but I think he's loyal to Carolina, but I understand Ulf Samuelsson because he was working for the Kraken previously and has lots of coaching experience.

Reactions: ultradan

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Don't want Francis turning a fresh new franchise into a men's club by hiring guys within the likes of Tocchet. Needs to hire a coach with full intentions to bring on a fresh look of winning to a new club, not his buddy.

I mean if it were Brind'Amour it's different but I think he's loyal to Carolina, but I understand Ulf Samuelsson because he was working for the Kraken previously and has lots of coaching experience.

Well, it's just an interview and the first one for a head coach.
I'm pretty sure we'll interview a couple of other guys as well before making that decision.

BTW: Francis did say he wanted to hire a guy with HC experience in the NHL which does limit his options.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I think Travis Green will be your new coach. Fredo is too cheap to resign him.

Here's the problem, I'm not sure Green is very good.

His system is as follows: hope the powerplay pops a couple goals, and pray that the goalie has a .950 night. The 5 on 5 play for the Canucks has been just awful under him, and no rookie players have meaningfully improved or developed under his watch.

Reactions: Nucker101

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

His system is as follows: hope the powerplay pops a couple goals, and pray that the goalie has a .950 night. The 5 on 5 play for the Canucks has been just awful under him, and no rookie players have meaningfully improved or developed under his watch.
If Francis is a believer of analytics, he won’t be hiring Green

Reactions: timw33

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018

they were awful at 5 on 5 because the roster is awful & was built by an idiot, can't get blood from a stone

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Just a thought, Gallant might not want to coach an expansion team again. He might prefer the Ranger job over the Kraken if offered.
I would like to see Gallant over Tocchet or Boudreau. Outside candidate would be Brad Shaw, certainly at least a great assistant to coach the D.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Just a PSA, Gallant is currently coaching Canada at the World Championships, so he wouldn't be available for an interview until after the tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->