Head Coach 2, When a Coach Comes Along You Must Tippett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilhawks

Not-my-fault Skinner
Nov 24, 2011
Maybe they're giving Schwartz a camp to observe and evaluate. Don't like it but I suppose they might suspect he has had some hits to go with the misses (I don't think it's enough to give him another chance).

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Is Tippett’s Deal Done?

"Two sources told me today that barring a major change, the deal is all but done. Tippett will be the next head coach of the Edmonton Oilers."

"Will Tippett retain any of Glen Gulutzan, Trent Yawney or Manny Vivieros? I’ve been told Dustin Schwartz is staying on as goalie coach."

Reactions: KYams17

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Have loved the moves by Holland so far for you guys, especially punting MacT to Russia, but I think Tippett is the totally wrong fit for your current situation. Tippett may be able to (maybe) squeeze the team into the playoffs next season, but I think there are still enough holes in the lineup where it makes sense to hire a fresher coach to grow with the team, whether that's Nelson or someone else.

There's nothing to really "grow" here. The best players on the team are the youngest. The rest are supporting players who will be phased out as young defenseman are subbed in (Sekera, Russell for Bouchard and co.).

They need to get on the right track right away. This isn't a patience situation. 7 years on McDavid's contract is the entire window.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Is Tippett’s Deal Done?

"Two sources told me today that barring a major change, the deal is all but done. Tippett will be the next head coach of the Edmonton Oilers."

"Will Tippett retain any of Glen Gulutzan, Trent Yawney or Manny Vivieros? I’ve been told Dustin Schwartz is staying on as goalie coach."

This would be hilarious if it wasn't so predictable and frustrating.

Reactions: KYams17

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
After all the reports that Hitchcock wore out his welcome quickly, I'm not sure hiring another "my way or no way" dictator in Tippett is the best plan.

Hitchcock grates on players constantly, he is hard on them and chirping them constantly between whistles and in the room. Tippett is not that type of coach. He sets expectations and communicates with the players on how to achieve them. He is a good communicator and liked by his players from all accounts.

Reactions: North

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Hitchcock grates on players constantly, he is hard on them and chirping them constantly between whistles and in the room. Tippett is not that type of coach. He sets expectations and communicates with the players on how to achieve them. He is a good communicator and liked by his players from all accounts.
Hope that's something that helps Puljujarvi.

Tippett and Holland both are guys who do not like to rush prospects so I like that too.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Is Tippett’s Deal Done?

I hope he cans Gulutzan and let Yawney and Vivieros actually do their jobs.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Good thing it’s been proven about 1000 times in this thread that Tippett isn’t a dictator type coach.

Yeah, when people were saying that I had no idea what to think, but literally every single thing we've heard on his demeanor suggests that is the opposite of the truth.

Reactions: Aerrol

JetsOilersfan

Feb 4, 2012
If Nelson is so great why hasn't he been given another shot in the NHL?

Dallas Eakins will be back in the NHL before this guy

If Holland is so great why did Detroit move him out of the GM position?
If Tippett is so great why did no one else give him a coaching job?

nice argument dude.

STRUCTURE. EXPERIENCE. NHL SUCCESS. PLAYERS LIKE HIM.

I mean really, it's getting old at this point. Tippett could be an amazing coach, but that remains to be seen. I'd rather try something different and go with a young coach that will grow with the team.

Umm, I think you need to check what the facts are before you start foaming at the mouth.

Holland stepped aside voluntarily as he felt it was in the teams best interests to bring Yzerman aboard. Detroit did not move him out of anything, and the lifetime position which paid $3.5Mil per year they gave him was as Yzermans boss.

Tippett agreed to move on from coaching Arizona and wanted a year off. After that Seattle came knocking and hired him as their NHL advisor. He did not want to be a coach and said so in many interviews. The coaching bug hit him this year and it sounds like he was waiting for the right opportunity.

Growing with a team also means making mistakes with the team so yeah a hard pass on a rookie NHL coach who will make mistakes on our dime. Mcclellan was fired because we had a useless GM who panicked. McDavid is tired of mistakes by this organization. We need experience and the deft touch at maximizing the players we have, someone like Tippet has proven he can do.

It sure if funny how some 'fans' think they know everything about everybody.

Suxnet - you want an argument (and btw - you have NOTHING - as in zero facts, just opinion and innuendo ) here's another fact (and I quoted 5 Mins 4 and mr quincy cause they said what I was going to say - I'll just add on a bit) but there have been 23 - count them up TWENTY THREE head coaching hires since 2017. If Todd Nelson really was 'all that', don't you think somebody would have already hired him? Just think about that for a few seconds, please.

And listen, I have no clue who is qualified and who isn't to coach our team, or any team for that matter. I'm just a dumb fan. But I'm smart enough to know that if a guy keeps getting passed up over and over and over, well there's probably something to that.

Oh, and one more thing - I read (not verified) that Ken Holland is not guaranteed 5 million a year, it's an incentive contract. Not sure what his base is (I would guess it's not less than 3.5M he was making in Detroit) and I would also guess that making the playoffs is the top incentive.

So lets say you're him, and you have a 1.5M dollar bonus (guess here I have no idea) waiting for you. You going to hire who........................ yeah, thought so. And if you do say Nelson, you're lying. Really easy to sit behind a keyboard and spout that, but when the metal meets the meat, you tune would change in a hurry when real money to YOU is on the line.

BTW - I'm not in either camp - as I said, I'm a fan and have no vote in this. I'll support whoever we hire.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Yeah, when people were saying that I had no idea what to think, but literally every single thing we've heard on his demeanor suggests that is the opposite of the truth.

From the ON article and which I read before, also I spent a shit ton of time in Phx when Tippett was coaching, his players always liked and respected him.

Shane Doan shared a story about Tippett when he was the Coyotes head coach. They played Dallas, the team Tippett coached for the previous six seasons.
“I remember after the game, I was walking out of the rink and I saw about 13 Dallas players going to his office to speak to him. I’d never seen anything like that before. It showed how much the guys liked and respected him,” he said.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Is Tippett’s Deal Done?

I wonder if Tippett has any history with Yawney and Vivieros.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I wonder if Tippett has any history with Yawney and Vivieros.

I wouldn't think so. Though i can see one of the ass coaches staying to help "transition" Tips into the head coach role. however i guess hitch is still around to help with that. hard to say.

i guess they'll maybe make the announcement tomorrow morning.

Reactions: guymez

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You vastly overrate goaltending coaches if you think he has anything to do with our management's inability to acquire a starting goalie
So tell me what does Schwartz do well? Because glove side has been a weakness for pretty much every goalie we've had the past few years.

Talbot was a good goalie until Schwartz took hold.

There isn't a single reason to retain his services. Management has failed to find another good goalie but Schwartz has failed to even offer adequate coaching.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Every single goalie we have had has gotten worse not better after being exposed to our goalie coaches, every single one.

If there is something mechanical in his game that needs correcting and Tippett sees the goalie coach cant correct it, I am sure Tippett will make the necessary changes he sees fit. Rumor still persists Sean Burke might be in the mix in management still. That might be a positive move as well.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
So tell me what does Schwartz do well? Because glove side has been a weakness for pretty much every goalie we've had the past few years.

Talbot was a good goalie until Schwartz took hold.

There isn't a single reason to retain his services. Management has failed to find another good goalie but Schwartz has failed to even offer adequate coaching.

I couldn't tell you, I'm not in the room with the coaches and players.
Talbot came over as a backup, and over his 4 years in Edmonton, was statistically a bottom-10 goalie in comparison to the other 30 starters.
When all you're given is crap, don't expect more than a crap sandwich.

Tell me again, who was the Blues new goaltending coach that they hired when Binnington was called up this year? One can only assume that it can't be the same one that couldn't improve Jake Allen's game?

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad