Head Coach 2, When a Coach Comes Along You Must Tippett

Status
Not open for further replies.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
If Holland is so great why did Detroit move him out of the GM position?
If Tippett is so great why did no one else give him a coaching job?

nice argument dude.

Detroit only moved the longest tenured GM when their biggest star player in the last 40 years, and a rising star as a GM in his own right, left his last organization to specifically move back to Detroit to be with his family. Every GM has an expiration date and they tried to promote Ken Holland, not fire him. Without the Yzerman perfect storm, he'd still be there as GM. Hell, he could still be there as Yzerman's boss making 3M per in a job nowhere near as high stakes.

As for Tippett, he wasn't fired either. He walked on the Coyotes and took a year off. He took the senior advisor role in Seattle about a year ago and was, by some accounts, promised "any role he wanted" in that organization. Except after he was hired on, the board of governor set their debut a year later than was expected so they're still two years from being a team.

I imagine that had everything to do with him interviewing in Buffalo and Edmonton this year. That's millions of dollars off the table. If Seattle were preparing to draft a team next June, I would guess Dave Tippett would be their inaugural head coach.

Last edited:

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I have no idea which coach Holland should hire. But the coaching ferris wheel seems to keep going around and around.

Nuge will be on his seventh coach in 9 years.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I forgot every single young coach out there is another Dallas Eakins lying in wait. Why even conduct interviews or research the guy? Young coach bad. Dinosaur good.

You basically described Dallas Eakins in every post. It was a disaster then. And it would be a disaster now. What we need is a coach that works well with Holland and is on the same page on everything. That was the issue with Hitchcock and McLellan, both weren't on the same page as Chiarelli so it was hard for us to gauge how good this team would be if they were on the same page. If Tippett is the guy that will work the best with Holland, sign me up. But if its Nelson, then sure. But it seems Nelson wouldn't have been his first choice.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
One thing I would like to input that has 0 basis is why would Holland say in his presser he likes skilled cerebral teams and then hire a coach who plugs the ice and chokes offence? Tippett might not be as dinosaur as people say.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Like I said, koolaid and delusions. You can't honestly believe what you posted can you? Holland stepped aside because he would've gotten fired if he didn't. He's been with Detroit forever so of course the org would show him some respect instead of firing him unceremoniously. The Oilers did the same **** with Lowe. Holland still wanted to be GM though which is why he jumped ship to the Oil when he got the chance.

Tippett..lol totally a coincidence I'm sure.

So a rookie coach will inevitably make mistakes but a vet coach, who hasn't coached in years, won't? Interesting notion.

If you listened to his press conferences Holland was GM in Detroit as long as he wanted to be. Yes I believe that because Holland is a straight shooter and there is no reason to be cynical about it like you are.

Tippett had a job with Seattle but you chalk it up to coincidence and Holland to being a liar to fit your narrow minded narrative.

A rookie head coach will make rookie mistakes which is how a rookie coach grows and learns. That’s the point if you can get off your hurr durr cynicism for 10 seconds you might see it.

Hurr durr over and out.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't know if some of the other guys have credentials superior to Tippets but it looks like they are out of the running for whatever reason.

I wonder how many potential head coaches really wanted to come to Edmonton?

-Coaching graveyard
-Tight Cap
-No real roster relief in sight
-Dysfunctional organization once you get past Holland
-big questions about who really runs the show (hope its Holland but there will be some strife with life time members).

Maybe some of the other coaching names discussed here said wait for another offer. Tough gig in Edmonton.

So you think that coaches, most of whom on the Oilers list are rookies, would turn down a massive raise and the opportunity to coach two of the best young players in the league? I doubt it

With that said, consider me underwhelmed by Tippett. I was really hoping that the Oilers would go in a different direction with a modern, upbeat coach but it seems like more of the same with the grumpy demeanor and defense first style.
I know that some offensive guys flourished under Tippett but the same happened with Mclellan and Hitch prior to coming here.
I can certainly understand why Holland went with the more experienced guy though.

Last edited:

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
Not crazy about Tippet, would've rather just kept Hitch.
Nelson is Nelson, under different circumstances I'd give him a shot, but a rookie would be a bold move.

Any other names floating around?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Nelson is Nelson, under different circumstances I'd give him a shot, but a rookie would be a bold move.

Not D.J. Smith, that’s for sure.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Nelson has little to no NHL experience. The experience he did have wasnt exactly a resounding success.
He is more of a question mark at the NHL level than anything else IMO.

This team doesnt need a question mark...it needs a known quantity.

This team needs a known quantity like they needed Quinn, Renney, TMac, and Hitch.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Honestly if Bob McKenzie says thats our only candidate at the moment, I think its pretty much a given (unless Tippett decides he doesnt want the job which could be a possibility) but I somewhat doubt because theres too much smoke.

North

Jun 25, 2009

Hitch was about ready to quit last season according to reports.

Tippett is a guy who has patience that I feel both Hitch and McLellan lacked.

He also seems to be a very good communicator which is probably why players like playing for him.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
You basically described Dallas Eakins in every post. It was a disaster then. And it would be a disaster now. What we need is a coach that works well with Holland and is on the same page on everything. That was the issue with Hitchcock and McLellan, both weren't on the same page as Chiarelli so it was hard for us to gauge how good this team would be if they were on the same page. If Tippett is the guy that will work the best with Holland, sign me up. But if its Nelson, then sure. But it seems Nelson wouldn't have been his first choice.
First I'm hearing of this. Can you give me an example?

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
They should look at Patrick Roy, I hated him as a player but actually loved him as a coach. Same type of passion as torts but he likes to play an offensive game. Look what he did with a young as team in his first years

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
They should look at Patrick Roy, I hated him as a player but actually loved him as a coach. Same type of passion as torts but he likes to play an offensive game. Look what he did with a young as team in his first years

He made the playoffs once and missed two more years before getting canned. He sucks.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Didn't Tmac want both Bouch and JP sent down but Chia wasn't having any of it till it was too late?

Tmac would rather scratch Bouch than to have him burn games when he clearly wasn't ready.

I think its very obvious watching the Oilers that McLellan and Chiarelli were never on the same page.

But I dont know if I would say Chiarelli and Hitchcock werent on the same page but was probably too late at that point.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Didn't Tmac want both Bouch and JP sent down but Chia wasn't having any of it till it was too late?

Tmac would rather scratch Bouch than to have him burn games when he clearly wasn't ready.

I know this to be absolute fact.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Did the Oilers ever interview Kris Knoblauch? He was fantastic in Erie, thought he might be worth a shot as a head coach at this level, experience with McDavid as well. I can see why they would prefer to go with a veteran if they're trying to compete right away, I just personally see more upside in a younger guy like Knoblauch.

Reactions: TB12

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Good God NO! A ranting and raving egomaniacal dufus like Roy is the antithesis of what a market like Edmonton needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad