Head Coach 2, When a Coach Comes Along You Must Tippett

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I forgot every single young coach out there is another Dallas Eakins lying in wait. Why even conduct interviews or research the guy? Young coach bad. Dinosaur good.
I forgot every experienced coach out there is hitchcock. See your logic yet? Your argument is the exact same thing but reversed. “Dinosaur bad... young coach good....”

Last edited:

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Good God NO! A ranting and raving egomaniacal dufus like Roy is the antithesis of what a market like Edmonton needs.
Or perhaps the EXACT thing this organization needs. It depends on how you look at it. But honest question how have the last coaches faired who were the opposite of a Roy or torts?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Hitch was about ready to quit last season according to reports.

Tippett is a guy who has patience that I feel both Hitch and McLellan lacked.

He also seems to be a very good communicator which is probably why players like playing for him.
Hitch/Mclellen and Tip are all experienced but have had different results. Hitch has had the most success but he did it with talented rosters. McLellan had a talented roster in San Jose but the team under achieved in the playoffs. Since he left, the Sharks have been better. Tip is the only one of the 3 that got more out of a less talented roster. This is why he will be a better choice for the Oilers, his ability to get the most out of average and below average players.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
As for Tippett, he wasn't fired either. He walked on the Coyotes and took a year off.

Not exactly. He took a structured buyout because ownership didn't want to (or couldn't afford to) fire him and potentially be on the hook for the remainder of his contract, which was $20 million at that time. There was also talk of the Coyotes considering firing him 'with cause', which may have gotten them out from under the contract all together.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Not exactly. He took a structured buyout because ownership didn't want to (or couldn't afford to) fire him and potentially be on the hook for the remainder of his contract, which was $20 million at that time. There was also talk of the Coyotes considering firing him 'with cause', which may have gotten them out from under the contract all together.
Source?

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

Yes, you are right.

He didn't have to accept his buyout, which was something like 1/6th of his remaining due salary, but chose to leave anyway. Still wasn't really fired, but that may be more due to what they owed him and would be on the hook for than anything. Definitely more murky than my post made it seem.

Reactions: Mosby

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
ARI improved once they replaced Tipp with Toch.
Proves the Tippet's snoozing system may not be the only reason why ARI looked good vs us.
They improved because they got better players.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This team needs a known quantity like they needed Quinn, Renney, TMac, and Hitch.

What does that list have to do with anything moving forward? Are you suggesting that they should never hire an experienced coach again?

Thats like saying known quantities like Reider, Lucic, Belanger, and Poulliot didnt work so the team shouldnt look at experienced players anymore...it clearly needs more rookie players.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
They improved because they got better players.

Bit reductive. They did make some positive changes that summer, but they had an overall very similar group and team save percentage improved with a very same-ish defense.

Even contemporaneously, Tippett was showered with praise for those years in Arizona.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This “dinosaur” and “inexperienced therefore bad” talk needs to die.

Braindead analysis. A two year old can come up with that level of debate.

I would have thought that it would be obvious to evaluate each coaching candidate on their own merits. Guess not.
Identity politics (as deeply flawed as that mindset is) is en vogue these days so why not put coaches in a group and then argue against that group too?
Makes sense. :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Yes, you are right.

He didn't have to accept his buyout, which was something like 1/6th of his remaining due salary, but chose to leave anyway. Still wasn't really fired, but that may be more due to what they owed him and would be on the hook for than anything. Definitely more murky than my post made it seem.

Have loved the moves by Holland so far for you guys, especially punting MacT to Russia, but I think Tippett is the totally wrong fit for your current situation. Tippett may be able to (maybe) squeeze the team into the playoffs next season, but I think there are still enough holes in the lineup where it makes sense to hire a fresher coach to grow with the team, whether that's Nelson or someone else.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
STRUCTURE. EXPERIENCE. NHL SUCCESS. PLAYERS LIKE HIM.

I mean really, it's getting old at this point. Tippett could be an amazing coach, but that remains to be seen. I'd rather try something different and go with a young coach that will grow with the team.

Who said players like playing for Hitchcock? Really asking... that's the opposite of what I've ever read.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Or perhaps the EXACT thing this organization needs. It depends on how you look at it. But honest question how have the last coaches faired who were the opposite of a Roy or torts?
IMO we’ve had two “big picture” problems. First, we’ve been awful at player procurement in all aspects. Drafting, developing and certainly trading have been big flops during the decade of darkness. Secondly, our management has too often conducted themselves like asshats. Embarrassing quotes, firings by skype, awful contracts, unprofessional behaviour, red wine summits etc. Coaching is doomed until both of those major problems are remedied. Eakins was a huge POS but any of Krueger, MacLellan or Hitch were quality people who couldve found success with better rosters. TMac in particular did some odd things that I hated but really it’s a match on a fire in terms of scale. Three out of those four were also classy individuals.

Bringing in a self-aggrandizing, loudmouth, control freak like Roy would just add to the “managers being asshats” problems we’ve had our fill of. Honestly, how many days do you think Roy would last before saying or doing something really stupid, unnecessary, and inflammatory that would create a circus atmosphere here. He could probably go to some place like Florida or Vegas where they fight for publicity and maybe he’d be a fit. Here? No bloody way.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
After all the reports that Hitchcock wore out his welcome quickly, I'm not sure hiring another "my way or no way" dictator in Tippett is the best plan.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Good thing it’s been proven about 1000 times in this thread that Tippett isn’t a dictator type coach.

No kidding.
Tippett = Hitch.....where do posters get this nonsense?

Clearly they are just inventing this narrative in their own minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad