Not open for further replies.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Just the tip in.

tenor.gif

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Division titles, career wins, sense of humor when you realize what you are up against.

Well...I think that isnt really going to reveal very much especially with the existing candidates..
There simply isnt any context in that type of evaluation. IMO you need to look at the situations and the rosters to see if the coach is maximizing the roster he has.
With that perspective I would suggest that Tippet is very qualified to coach this team. It has so many holes the only way this team makes the playoffs next season is if they play with some structure. Thats an element that Tippet has had success implementing.

If Division titles and career wins were important then Hitchcock would have been the best candidate for the job.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Nelson has championships at every level he's coached on his own and has a reputation as a players coach who can work with younger players. Tippett has never won a championship and has a reputation as a hardass.

Nelson has little to no NHL experience. The experience he did have wasnt exactly a resounding success.
He is more of a question mark at the NHL level than anything else IMO.

This team doesnt need a question mark...it needs a known quantity.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Well...I think that isnt really going to reveal very much especially with the existing candidates..
There simply isnt any context in that type of evaluation. IMO you need to look at the situations and the rosters to see if the coach is maximizing the roster he has.
With that perspective I would suggest that Tippet is very qualified to coach this team. It has so many holes the only way this team makes the playoffs next season is if they play with some structure. Thats an element that Tippet has had success implementing.

If Division titles and career wins were important then Hitchcock would have been the best candidate for the job.

Sure hope you are right --making the most of what you have is paramount because we don't have all that much.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Sure hope you are right --making the most of what you have is paramount because we don't have all that much.

Thats my thinking as well.
Its going to take a few years to sort out the mess that Chia left so in the mean time this team has to be given the best chance to succeed. That IMO means they have to drastically cut down on goals against.
I dont see any evidence to suggest that Nelson is the coach that can make that happen.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Some posters around here are seriously delusional. Same things being said about Tippett that have been said about Hitchcock and McLellan in the past. It's quite laughable really.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Thats my thinking as well.
Its going to take a few years to sort out the mess that Chia left so in the mean time this team has to be given the best chance to succeed. That IMO means they have to drastically cut down on goals against.
I dont see any evidence to suggest that Nelson is the coach that can make that happen.

When you look (as an example) at that St. Louis defence and goaltending you realize just how far we have to go to compete at that level.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
When you look (as an example) at that St. Louis defence and goaltending you realize just how far we have to go to compete at that level.

Yeah...the forwards need to commit as well.
There was just such a lack of structure last season it was brutal to watch.
Most of the better teams just feasted on the Oilers for that reason.

My priorities....

1) Add speed
2) Add at least 1 top 6 winger (hopefully 2)
3) Add structure and define roles
4) Remove the players that cant or wont buy in

Last edited:

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
If Nelson is so great why hasn't he been given another shot in the NHL?

Dallas Eakins will be back in the NHL before this guy
If Holland is so great why did Detroit move him out of the GM position?
If Tippett is so great why did no one else give him a coaching job?

nice argument dude.

STRUCTURE. EXPERIENCE. NHL SUCCESS. PLAYERS LIKE HIM.

I mean really, it's getting old at this point. Tippett could be an amazing coach, but that remains to be seen. I'd rather try something different and go with a young coach that will grow with the team.

Reactions: space321

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Nelson has championships at every level he's coached on his own and has a reputation as a players coach who can work with younger players. Tippett has never won a championship and has a reputation as a hardass.
Tippett won an IHL championship in 1998-99, which is similar to Nelson's AHL title.

Last edited:
Reactions: SavesFromKosko

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

nice argument dude.

I mean really, it's getting old at this point. Tippett could be an amazing coach, but that remains to be seen. I'd rather try something different and go with a young coach that will grow with the team.
Like Dallas Eakins?

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012

nice argument dude.

So you want Dallas Eakins?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

nice argument dude.

Umm, I think you need to check what the facts are before you start foaming at the mouth.

Holland stepped aside voluntarily as he felt it was in the teams best interests to bring Yzerman aboard. Detroit did not move him out of anything, and the lifetime position which paid $3.5Mil per year they gave him was as Yzermans boss.

Tippett agreed to move on from coaching Arizona and wanted a year off. After that Seattle came knocking and hired him as their NHL advisor. He did not want to be a coach and said so in many interviews. The coaching bug hit him this year and it sounds like he was waiting for the right opportunity.

I'd rather try something different and go with a young coach that will grow with the team.
Growing with a team also means making mistakes with the team so yeah a hard pass on a rookie NHL coach who will make mistakes on our dime. Mcclellan was fired because we had a useless GM who panicked. McDavid is tired of mistakes by this organization. We need experience and the deft touch at maximizing the players we have, someone like Tippet has proven he can do.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I forgot every single young coach out there is another Dallas Eakins lying in wait. Why even conduct interviews or research the guy? Young coach bad. Dinosaur good.

How is Tippet a dinosaur? I think you have blinders on towards "young coach automatically good" and an inherent bias rather than being objective about it.

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
I forgot every single young coach out there is another Dallas Eakins lying in wait. Why even conduct interviews or research the guy? Young coach bad. Dinosaur good.

Youre the complete opposite and its not any better at all. Noob good. Experienced bad.

Seems like the only credential you want is for them to have never coached in the NHL before. What the hell kind of credential is that?

And im not even pro Tippet or anti Nelson.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Umm, I think you need to check what the facts are before you start foaming at the mouth.

Holland stepped aside voluntarily as he felt it was in the teams best interests to bring Yzerman aboard. Detroit did not move him out of anything, and the lifetime position which paid $3.5Mil per year they gave him was as Yzermans boss.

Tippett agreed to move on from coaching Arizona and wanted a year off. After that Seattle came knocking and hired him as their NHL advisor. He did not want to be a coach and said so in many interviews. The coaching bug hit him this year and it sounds like he was waiting for the right opportunity.

Growing with a team also means making mistakes with the team so yeah a hard pass on a rookie NHL coach who will make mistakes on our dime. Mcclellan was fired because we had a useless GM who panicked. McDavid is tired of mistakes by this organization. We need experience and the deft touch at maximizing the players we have, someone like Tippet has proven he can do.
Like I said, koolaid and delusions. You can't honestly believe what you posted can you? Holland stepped aside because he would've gotten fired if he didn't. He's been with Detroit forever so of course the org would show him some respect instead of firing him unceremoniously. The Oilers did the same shit with Lowe. Holland still wanted to be GM though which is why he jumped ship to the Oil when he got the chance.

Tippett..lol totally a coincidence I'm sure.

So a rookie coach will inevitably make mistakes but a vet coach, who hasn't coached in years, won't? Interesting notion.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Youre the complete opposite and its not any better at all. Noob good. Experienced bad.

Seems like the only credential you want is for them to have never coached in the NHL before. What the hell kind of credential is that?

And im not even pro Tippet or anti Nelson.

How is Tippet a dinosaur? I think you have blinders on towards "young coach automatically good" and an inherent bias rather than being objective about it.

Try reading my posts again. I said I'd prefer going with a young coach this time since we've been going with vet coaches and it hasn't done much for the team. But when anyone suggests an inexperienced coach around here you automatically get, "hurr durr Dallas Eakins."

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
"DINOSAUR" AND "NEW AGE" etc are the new water cooler parroting words we hear around these parts these days.

It's like people who were clamoring for a younger GM. Was it McRimmon? And he was only 4 years younger than Holland lol.

That's how people work these days. They parrot what they hear. Most cannot back up anything when asked about a remark directly. Hit and runs.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Like I said, koolaid and delusions. You can't honestly believe what you posted can you? Holland stepped aside because he would've gotten fired if he didn't. He's been with Detroit forever so of course the org would show him some respect instead of firing him unceremoniously. The Oilers did the same **** with Lowe. Holland still wanted to be GM though which is why he jumped ship to the Oil when he got the chance.

Tippett..lol totally a coincidence I'm sure.

So a rookie coach will inevitably make mistakes but a vet coach, who hasn't coached in years, won't? Interesting notion.
There was a shit ton in the media that Holland actually was a major part in bringing Yzerman in. Without Holland there's a chance Yzerman doesn't come back. f*** he even talked in the interview how he felt it was time for him to move on from the GM of the Red Wings, so he decided to help bring Yzerman in and move to a more or an advisor role. He then went the U18s, talked to other GMs and stuff and realized...he ain't done yet. Even after that and Nicholson and Katz doing all they could Holland still didn't even jump, he had to think about it. If you are going to call koolaid and delusions at least read the readily available info about the subject first. Golly gee.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Lol what did you expect Holland to say? "f*** this place I still wanted to be GM!" You and others can keep believing the stars aligned and we won the McHolland lottery but in reality it's a lot more simple. I don't understand why people think there's something wrong with that anyway. He wore out his welcome in Detroit. It happens. I just think it's silly some people get so hyped up over guys like him and Tippett who have done nothing yet, yet are getting praise like their predecessors were until everyone realized after a couple of years that they sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad