Head Coach 2, When a Coach Comes Along You Must Tippett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
3GTGAri.jpg

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
ARI improved once they replaced Tipp with Toch.
Proves the Tippet's snoozing system may not be the only reason why ARI looked good vs us.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
ARI improved once they replaced Tipp with Toch.
Proves the Tippet's snoozing system may not be the only reason why ARI looked good vs us.
Big improvement this season but they had the same points (70) in Tocchet's first year as they did in Tippett's last.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I agree.

Is this an improvement from last season? I think it is a huge improvement.
Especially in terms of facial hair.

I agree that the GM spot is greatly improved (no where to go but up) but I have my doubts as to whether Tippet will be any more effective than Hitch. Sure he's a decade younger but certainly doesn't have credentials that are superior to those that Ken offers.

Hitch overplayed his stars but really what choice did he have when you look at the quality of the roster outside of the top 3 forwards? The guy wanted to make the playoffs and we can't blame him for that. Add a still suspect defence, injuries and very shaky goaltending and I really wonder who would have done any better?

It seems to me that Drai had enormous confidence after Hitch took over and for the first time it seemed that Nurse might be reaching his offensive potential. There were arguably 5 guys on the club who had career years when he entered and I really got the feeling that the team respected him even if he is an eccentric character. Many coaches are. In Montreal the press used to call Scotty Bowman "Rain Man."

Well, let's hope for the best, I guess Hitch will be waiting in the wings if it goes south in a hurry.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I agree that the GM spot is greatly improved (no where to go but up) but I have my doubts as to whether Tippet will be any more effective than Hitch. Sure he's a decade younger but certainly doesn't have credentials that are superior to those that Ken offers.

Hitch overplayed his stars but really what choice did he have when you look at the quality of the roster outside of the top 3 forwards? The guy wanted to make the playoffs and we can't blame him for that. Add a still suspect defence, injuries and very shaky goaltending and I really wonder who would have done any better?

It seems to me that Drai had enormous confidence after Hitch took over and for the first time it seemed that Nurse might be reaching his offensive potential. There were arguably 5 guys on the club who had career years when he entered and I really got the feeling that the team respected him even if he is an eccentric character. Many coaches are. In Montreal the press used to call Scotty Bowman "Rain Man."

Well, let's hope for the best, I guess Hitch will be waiting in the wings if it goes south in a hurry.

I am not sure what you mean by credentials.
But let me ask you this...what credentials do the other candidates have?

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I am not sure what you mean by credentials.
But let me ask you this...what credentials do the other candidates have?

I don't know if some of the other guys have credentials superior to Tippets but it looks like they are out of the running for whatever reason.

I wonder how many potential head coaches really wanted to come to Edmonton?

-Coaching graveyard
-Tight Cap
-No real roster relief in sight
-Dysfunctional organization once you get past Holland
-big questions about who really runs the show (hope its Holland but there will be some strife with life time members).

Maybe some of the other coaching names discussed here said wait for another offer. Tough gig in Edmonton.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't know if some of the other guys have credentials superior to Tippets but it looks like they are out of the running for whatever reason.

I wonder how many potential head coaches really wanted to come to Edmonton?

-Coaching graveyard
-Tight Cap
-No real roster relief in sight
-Dysfunctional organization once you get past Holland
-big questions about who really runs the show (hope its Holland but there will be some strife with life time members).

Maybe some of the other coaching names discussed here said wait for another offer. Tough gig in Edmonton.

Could be that this wasnt a desirable situation...could very well be.
Who knows for sure.

Just trying to get a sense of what you mean by credentials...what specifically are you referring to?

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Who knows for sure.

Just trying to get a sense of what you mean by credentials...what specifically are you referring to?

Division titles, career wins, sense of humor when you realize what you are up against. Hitch had at least 2 out of 3.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Who knows for sure.

Nelson has championships at every level he's coached on his own and has a reputation as a players coach who can work with younger players. Tippett has never won a championship and has a reputation as a hardass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad