HCanes "Bunch of Jerks" T-Shirts

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The people who cheer any Canadian team in the playoffs are typically more bandwagon fans. All the Canadian teams and their fans on here hate eachother. Most want their own team to end the drought.
Fans of Cdn teams, are usually not fans of Don Cherry..........Leaf fans would be the exception. Grapes is a fossil...who loves the Leafs and the Bruins, because of his coaching days...when he had a great team, but choked as a coach to win the Cup. He is still bitter.

Most hockey fans realize that the team is doing this for the fans. Not sure why Grapes had to go all koo-koo about it.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Fans of Cdn teams, are usually not fans of Don Cherry..........Leaf fans would be the exception. Grapes is a fossil...who loves the Leafs and the Bruins, because of his coaching days...when he had a great team, but choked as a coach to win the Cup. He is still bitter.

Most hockey fans realize that the team is doing this for the fans. Not sure why Grapes had to go all koo-koo about it.

Apparently he believes he's defending Canada's national honor or something.

"We in Canada, at least most of the people I know in Canada, revere the game. I don't think there's any secret there," said Cherry. "I guess I'm the only guy who said it, but that's why I said it. I mean it, I mean every word.

"We call the Stanley Cup the Holy Grail in Canada and here we have these jerks doing a pantomime after wins."

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
I'm guessing a large majority of people annoyed with these are those who root for any Canadian team in the playoffs regardless of which Canadian team they are a fan of. That obsession is odd and annoying. I love the Hockey News as a hockey magazine, but they also have that bias towards Canadian teams and players. I get it to a degree, this being Canada's sport, but people who think like that are odd to me. Don Cherry is one of them.

I'm not a Canes fan and find this awesome. It's fun and the players and fans enjoy it. It's not mocking the other team, it's not in poor taste. If the Leafs or Oilers did this would Canada-bias people like Cherry say anything?

Yes, he would.

He ripped on Yakupov when with the Oilers for his sliding down the ice celebration against the Kings in 2013, and ripped on good Canadian boy Crosby while playing for a Canadian junior team in a Canadian junior league for lifting the puck behjnd the net and scoring. Calling him a "hot dog".

And dont forget that he correctly predicted that Canada's 14-0 win this past WJC would come back to haunt them. He didn't praise the victory at all...

Cherry isn't as hypocritically biased towards Canada as many think. At least not for stuff like this.

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
And dont forget that he correctly predicted that Canada's 14-0 win this past WJC would come back to haunt them. He didn't praise the victory at all...

Yeah that 14-0 win made the Canadians lose totally not Finland outplaying Canada all game it was all because of a game played multiples nights ago.

I always wonder what kind of person believes in that kind of stuff lol

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
The people who cheer any Canadian team in the playoffs are typically more bandwagon fans. All the Canadian teams and their fans on here hate eachother. Most want their own team to end the drought.

I won’t cheer for every Canadian team, but there’s something special about a Canadian team making a run. Makes the playoffs more entertaining.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Just shows that Cherry's completely ignorant of the situation. Though that should have been clear when he bemoaned Williams being forced to participate in the celebrations, when Williams was the one who started the thing in the first place.

Sort of.

Williams said the idea sprung from discussions with management to do something that would be distinct while reinforcing the fun factor in Carolina this season. It was decided that a distinct postgame victory celebration could accomplish that.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

“We looked at it, and they’re fine-tuning it,” first-year coach Rod Brind’Amour said, adding
that Ferland “had a little issue with the beat. But again, that’s something that they’ve created, and hopefully they enjoy it and the fans enjoy it.”

New captain Justin Williams was the one who came up with the idea, Martinook said.

“Once he mentioned it, everyone was pretty excited and ready to run with it,” Martinook said.

The story that was told when they first started was that Williams wanted to switch up the typical "stick raise at center ice" celebration, because he was around when the fanbase wasn't dealing with a decade-long playoff drought and knew they could be electric when given something to cheer about. He threw out the idea to Brindamour and the players, and with no complaints, they decided to try it out after our first few wins of the season.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006

I'm not sure things are quite the way you think they are. A recent cross-country poll showed that something like 27% of Canadians are Leafs fans, 26% are Habs fans... and also the interesting tidbit that 76%(IIRC) cheer for ANY remaining opposing Canadian teams to win the cup, once their favourite team has been eliminated (which surprised me, even). Nationalism runs extremely deep here.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
The story that was told when they first started was that Williams wanted to switch up the typical "stick raise at center ice" celebration, because he was around when the fanbase wasn't dealing with a decade-long playoff drought and knew they could be electric when given something to cheer about. He threw out the idea to Brindamour and the players, and with no complaints, they decided to try it out after our first few wins of the season.

The actual thing they are doing Williams came up with, but what I quoted makes it pretty clear ownership asked him to come up with something though right?

Reactions: mmvvpp

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
The actual thing they are doing Williams came up with, but what I quoted makes it pretty clear ownership asked him to come up with something though right?
According to what Williams said, it was a general discussion betw TD/FO and the players to try and think of ways that they could forge closer relations with the fans. Williams thought of including the fans in the win celebration, and the players liked it and made it happen. Smart guy, our Willy. :thumbu:

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

What you quoted simply says Williams discussed "something that would be distinct while reinforcing the fun factor in Carolina" with management. Williams asking Brindamour for permission to do the Storm Surge is exactly that.

Like I said, this seems to be a purely player driven thing, and all evidence seems to support that.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad