HCanes "Bunch of Jerks" T-Shirts

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I read through a few pages and didn't see this. but I am pretty sure that the Canes wait for the other team to leave the ice. That is all I need to prove that this is not meant to show any disrespect to their opponent. If they like doing it, then have fun and enjoy it with the fans. This is a game after all.
leaving the ice isnt the only metric, ask ed hospodar

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
leaving the ice isnt the only metric, ask ed hospodar

Can you see that they are celebrating with the fans and this is not intended to show the least bit of disrespect to their opponent? That is what I see. They wait for the other team to go back to the dressing room out of respect for their opponent. If you can't see the difference between clearly antagonistic behavior and celebration of a victory with the fans in a good natured way then I just don't know what to say.

If they were stealing their opponents jersey and parading around with it then you would have a point but this is good natured celebration. That is plain to see, there is no disrespect meant here.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
I've seen pre game brawls happen when a guy puts one skate over center in the pregame. so no, chumley, you don't get to unilaterally define what a team can and cannot take offense to.

And yet here it seems you are trying to unilaterally define what teams should take offense to when there is absolutely no evidence that anyone on another team thinks they are being taunted with these celebrations.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
People need to start calling Don out..........he has overstayed his welcome, time to move in to the Nursing home...

He has more fans than the Hurricanes do, real story, so I doubt he's overstayed his welcome.

And nobody with any credibility will call him out because the truth is they likely agree with him (or some part of his argument), the problem is those who dont agree are wound up tight and overly dramatic in trying to defend their own opinion, to the point no fruitful conversation can be had.

Overdrive thinks Cherry has actually helped them, with the Jerks thing the Hurricanes can play the victim and it gives them something to rally around. Which we can see is actually happening.

Reactions: The Missing Piece

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
The Canes have totally killed the joke, very lame now, but they now are too invested in it to back down and would be seen as conceding to Chery & other critics, so they will keep going through motions even though it's stupid.

Reactions: hockeyes

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
The NFL players/teams conduct pre-meditated celebrations after every stinking touchdown these days. NBA players play to the crowd after every 'cool' made basket anymore. The fans eat it up. Why not in hockey? NHL has always been the ugly stepchild of other major sports, if this piques some interest, more viewers, more kids getting engaged, how can it be a bad thing?

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
And nobody with any credibility will call him out because the truth is they likely agree with him (or some part of his argument), the problem is those who dont agree are wound up tight and overly dramatic in trying to defend their own opinion, to the point no fruitful conversation can be had.

Yes, the people who like having fun are the ones who are "wound up tight". The people who find ways to complain about what everyone else is doing (Don Cherry) are not "wound up tight". Makes perfect sense pal.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Don Cherry can suck an egg. As a Leafs fan who has watched him rant almost every weekend for years and years I've pretty much had my fill of him and his outdated shtick. His segment has become my ''get up to take a leak and grab a beer'' time.

Keep it up Canes. Anything that generates buzz and interest in the team (and pisses off the old geezers stuck in the 70s) while getting more fans out to the home games is a good thing. Besides the whole reason we see these celebrations is because the team is winning, that's what really matters right?

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Yes, the people who like having fun are the ones who are "wound up tight". The people who find ways to complain about what everyone else is doing (Don Cherry) are not "wound up tight". Makes perfect sense pal.

Or, you can go click on page one of either of the two threads covering this and read, you'll notice that anyone who disagrees with the "storm surge" gets piled on for any reason that seems convenient by poster clearly wound up.

If a post game chicken-dance gets you all giddy and clapping than more power to you, if you expect people to not have a differing opinion on these gimmicks and how they reflect upon the league then that's just being unrealistic.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Or, you can go click on page one of either of the two threads covering this and read, you'll notice that anyone who disagrees with the "storm surge" gets piled on for any reason that seems convenient by poster clearly wound up.

If a post game chicken-dance gets you all giddy and clapping than more power to you, if you expect people to not have a differing opinion on these gimmicks and how they reflect upon the league then that's just being unrealistic.
How they reflect on the league? lol wut?

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
He has more fans than the Hurricanes do, real story, so I doubt he's overstayed his welcome.

Overdrive thinks Cherry has actually helped them, with the Jerks thing the Hurricanes can play the victim and it gives them something to rally around. Which we can see is actually happening.

:laugh: yeah, that's the problem alright. The people making a joke of what Cherry said is the problem. Why would you think there would be fruitful conversation when someone calls people "jerks". That's pretty fruitful conversation?

You seem to think this is a big deal but almost everyone I have seen is joking about it, who's being overly dramatic, besides Don Cherry I mean?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The Canes have totally killed the joke, very lame now, but they now are too invested in it to back down and would be seen as conceding to Chery & other critics, so they will keep going through motions even though it's stupid.

giphy.gif

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Yes the people who are in favor of having fun are the ones wound too tight.

The people who want to stop other people from having fun are not wound too tight.

come onnnnnnn

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
no the thing with lemiex was not, they tried it when the flyers were present, then left the ice ( with the flyers) and then came back with no flyers on the ice and tried it again.

So basically, you admit I was right and you're completely contradicting yourself.

Good to know you can at least be honest, even if it's just by accident.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Grapes..........can be a joke at times...take a look at his wardrobe, and ask yourself, who is the real jerk!! His suits are way worse than the celebrations.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
So basically, you admit I was right and you're completely contradicting yourself.

Good to know you can at least be honest, even if it's just by accident.
them trying to put the puck in the net with the flyers on the ice, didnt initiate a brawl.

When then came back and tried it as the only team on the ice, it did.

the players who ended up scrapping, where did they come from ? from the dressing room to fight for what some could have called a mild supersticion that " meant no harm"

If a team were to tell the hurricanes that they didnt want them playing " i'm a little teapot" after a win and they did, I absolutely could see the exact same thing that you deem " unlikely" from happening, especially in the playoffs where things tend to carry over.

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
Also, why is what Cherry says taken so seriously? I have an honest question for the people who support him. Has anyone ever actual heard him say a complete sentence without stopping halfway through and going on to another topic?

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Don Cherry can suck an egg. As a Leafs fan who has watched him rant almost every weekend for years and years I've pretty much had my fill of him and his outdated shtick. His segment has become my ''get up to take a leak and grab a beer'' time.

Keep it up Canes. Anything that generates buzz and interest in the team (and pisses off the old geezers stuck in the 70s) while getting more fans out to the home games is a good thing. Besides the whole reason we see these celebrations is because the team is winning, that's what really matters right?

winning at home. they try to take im a little teapot on the road and its likely on,

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Grapes..........can be a joke at times...take a look at his wardrobe, and ask yourself, who is the real jerk!! His suits are way worse than the celebrations.
This to me is the greatest irony, and the gift that keeps on giving...the fact that a guy who dresses in the most odd/awkward/visually painful suits wants to call the Canes "unprofessional"

And I don't know a single canes fan who is "wound up tight" or hurt by anything he or anyone else has said. We're pretty much of the mind if you don't like it, we really don't give two ****s. Our team is enjoying it, the kids are enjoying it, the fans are staying after the game, and it's uniting us. You're welcome to join us in the festivities, and if you're more on Don Cherry's side, it doesn't hurt us...we're just a bunch of jerks after all!!!!

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
I'm guessing a large majority of people annoyed with these are those who root for any Canadian team in the playoffs regardless of which Canadian team they are a fan of. That obsession is odd and annoying. I love the Hockey News as a hockey magazine, but they also have that bias towards Canadian teams and players. I get it to a degree, this being Canada's sport, but people who think like that are odd to me. Don Cherry is one of them.

I'm not a Canes fan and find this awesome. It's fun and the players and fans enjoy it. It's not mocking the other team, it's not in poor taste. If the Leafs or Oilers did this would Canada-bias people like Cherry say anything?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad