Proposal: Hayes to the Flames

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Thanks guys! Very informative responses.

If there is a bidding war Gorts might get the price for Hayes up towards something equivalent to Dubé and a 1st — but I recon that is far from a given.

It will be interesting to see how the market shakes out. On one hand, Dorion has created a lot of buzz, but I am far from convinced that 30 GMs in this league rather would have Duchene than Hayes who has been spectacular this season. The kid is a 6’5 center who has 42 pts in 46 despite not getting top PP time, he can PK, play defense etc.

But on the other hand there are so many guys available and so few real buyers — that the market could turn out to be pretty flat. A lot of posturing this season.

With that said, given how well Calgary have looked in a Western Conference that from my POV isn’t super strong, I wouldn’t be totally surprised if they made a move for someone like Hayes.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think Zucc makes way more sense for the Flames than Hayes. With Neal injured (this is why Lazar was recalled), potentially for a while, we have a hole on RW (although Czarnik has 2 goals in games games since the Neal injury) and could use a boost to our PK.

Reactions: Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think Zucc makes way more sense for the Flames than Hayes. With Neal injured (this is why Lazar was recalled), potentially for a while, we have a hole on RW (although Czarnik has 2 goals in games games since the Neal injury) and could use a boost to our PK.

Thanks!

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I still feel more comfortable offering the conditional pick; for guys like Hayes... if it was a first outright, Calgary would pony up for the Matt Duchene's of the world instead.

Of course I am totally biased, but I would definitely prefer Hayes over Duchene. Hayes is pacing 70 pts this season and that is more than Duchene have had in his last 3 seasons. And sure this year Duchene is out scoring him, but -- with both Stone and Duchene -- really heavy top usage and a go to role boosts all numbers a lot. Does Duchene even get 42 pts in 49 games if he plays in a 2nd line center role like Hayes?

And Hayes brings so much more and is also considerably younger than Duchene.

Then of course people can pull all kind of numbers showing something else. I saw a bunch of people on twitter discussing if Mark Stone was a Hart Candidate or not. And sure they brought up some impressive numbers backing it, relative scoring etc. But it is what it is, in the real world I don't think Mark Stone even remotely is close to being one of the best players in the game and -- as we have seen numerous times -- scoring definitely do not have to transform at all from one team to another.

But again, I am of course totally biased.

Reactions: The S5

marciiauzii

Nov 15, 2012
Latvia
Of course I am totally biased, but I would definitely prefer Hayes over Duchene. Hayes is pacing 70 pts this season and that is more than Duchene have had in his last 3 seasons. And sure this year Duchene is out scoring him, but -- with both Stone and Duchene -- really heavy top usage and a go to role boosts all numbers a lot. Does Duchene even get 42 pts in 49 games if he plays in a 2nd line center role like Hayes?

And Hayes brings so much more and is also considerably younger than Duchene.

Then of course people can pull all kind of numbers showing something else. I saw a bunch of people on twitter discussing if Mark Stone was a Hart Candidate or not. And sure they brought up some impressive numbers backing it, relative scoring etc. But it is what it is, in the real world I don't think Mark Stone even remotely is close to being one of the best players in the game and -- as we have seen numerous times -- scoring definitely do not have to transform at all from one team to another.

But again, I am of course totally biased.

Stone doesn't play with Duchene, lol

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think Calgary needs a winger more than center. A guy like Kreider or Zucc would make more sense for the Flames than Hayes.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think Calgary needs a winger more than center. A guy like Kreider or Zucc would make more sense for the Flames than Hayes.

I envision:

Hayes-Hockey-Hathaway
Czarnik-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Jankowski-Ryan-Bennet

Questions? ;)

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I envision:

Hayes-Hockey-Hathaway
Czarnik-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Jankowski-Ryan-Bennet

Questions? ;)

Hathaway is a 4th liner and Johny doesn’t play center lol. Also Czarnik doesn’t play left wing. I envision you haven’t watched very many flames games this year on the east coast

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
I don’t see a fit with the Flames for Hayes. Not really for Zucc either. There’s no tier below the untouchables.

Yeah prospect pool is pretty shallow after the top guys but I think a 1st + meh prospect is about what Zucc will go for.

Maybe less maybe more, it’s a weird market this year

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
You said if Duchene played 2nd line would he even get 42 points in 49 games.

He exactly plays 2nd line.

Come on, he is cleary Ottawa's No 1 center. Goto center. Would he have scored the same numbers if he played behind say Mackinnon?
upload_2019-2-19_20-17-25.png

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Chris Kreider will return more than Hayes though - so many teams need such a player. Best in gym and quick skating abilities and 4 assist in his last 5 games. :)

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Would be interesting to hear from Calgary fans what they think of a potential acquisition of Kevin Hayes?

Saw that Lazar was recalled, could it be a showcase thing or is there a reason for it?

Would something like Dillon Dubé, Curtis Lazar and a 1st for Hayes make sense for both teams? Is it too much/too little?

Does it seem like Duchene is first prio for Calgary?
Teams can scout a player in the AHL. I don't think they call up guys in order to "showcase" them. But who knows.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Hathaway is a 4th liner and Johny doesn’t play center lol. Also Czarnik doesn’t play left wing. I envision you haven’t watched very many flames games this year on the east coast

Haha ;)

One thing though, Johnny was a center in college (between Hayes and Bill Arnold (right?)). Has he ever played center for Calgary?

BTW I wasn't serious with those lines, I have definitely not seen enough of Calgary to seriously speculate on lines. But I did put Hathaway on that line because Arnold had a real slave role next to Hayes and Johnny in College and the only one on the Calgary roster that fitted that bill of a bigger RHS slave RW. ;) I then put Czarnik -- who I do got a little track of -- in Johnny's role next to Monahan and Lindholm, I actually think he could do well there and wouldn't struggle that much on the left side. But as I said, it was just joking. There can't be any reason to break up that first line when its working as well as it is.

Reactions: crackdown44

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Teams can scout a player in the AHL. I don't think they call up guys in order to "showcase" them. But who knows.

Yeah, like you see that term use so often this time of the year but there are rarely any reason for it.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Haha ;)

One thing though, Johnny was a center in college (between Hayes and Bill Arnold (right?)). Has he ever played center for Calgary?

BTW I wasn't serious with those lines, I have definitely not seen enough of Calgary to seriously speculate on lines. But I did put Hathaway on that line because Arnold had a real slave role next to Hayes and Johnny in College and the only one on the Calgary roster that fitted that bill of a bigger RHS slave RW. ;) I then put Czarnik -- who I do got a little track of -- in Johnny's role next to Monahan and Lindholm, I actually think he could do well there and wouldn't struggle that much on the left side. But as I said, it was just joking. There can't be any reason to break up that first line when its working as well as it is.
Arnold centered Johnny and Hayes

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I really like Kevin Hayes. Would give up the 2019 1st if that's what it came down to. After that though the add wouldn't be too incredible. Maybe Lazar, Gawdin, or Foo. The 3 young D are untouchable for a rental, probably Dube too. MEP might make sense for the Rangers but would probably make the pick the 2020 2nd instead.

Should be an interesting deadline, I see more sellers than buyers personally so there could be some players available for what might be considered less than market.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Yeah prospect pool is pretty shallow after the top guys but I think a 1st + meh prospect is about what Zucc will go for.

Maybe less maybe more, it’s a weird market this year
Well if the 1st is on the table without conditions there could be a deal. Figuring they want to keep it this year.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
Well if the 1st is on the table without conditions there could be a deal. Figuring they want to keep it this year.

I personally wouldn’t want to move it for a rental. I think usually teams need a couple runs in the playoffs before you see what they really need to add. I think they should maybe just move some late picks for depth this year

That being said, if they are intent on moving it I think they can do a lot worse than Kevin Hayes. I’m a big fan of his game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad