Proposal: Hayes to the Flames

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Would be interesting to hear from Calgary fans what they think of a potential acquisition of Kevin Hayes?

Saw that Lazar was recalled, could it be a showcase thing or is there a reason for it?

Would something like Dillon Dubé, Curtis Lazar and a 1st for Hayes make sense for both teams? Is it too much/too little?

Does it seem like Duchene is first prio for Calgary?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Too much for Calgary for a guy we likely cannot afford to re-sign.

I don't believe rentals are a Flames priority unless they believe they can re-sign them, and everything our management has said seems to indicate that as well.

But then again, Treliving pretty much laughed off Dougie rumors at the draft last year, so who the hell knows.

Reactions: Solace2420

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Too much for Calgary for a guy we likely cannot afford to re-sign.

I don't believe rentals are a Flames priority unless they believe they can re-sign them, and everything our management has said seems to indicate that as well.

But then again, Treliving pretty much laughed off Dougie rumors at the draft last year, so who the hell knows.

What is the status of Frolik? Could he be going back to NY as a Cap Dump? NYR took Beleksy in a cap dump from Boston in the Nash trade.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
What is the take on Dubé BTW. He has caught my eye several times thinking, could this guy be the next Brayden Point? But I am not super convinced, I haven't quite seen that ability to not only be fast, but always have speed on the ice around the puck as Point have. But I haven't seen him a ton.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
What is the status of Frolik? Could he be going back to NY as a Cap Dump? NYR took Beleksy in a cap dump from Boston in the Nash trade.

Fro is contributing nicely. He’s not really a dump he could be moved for a mid round pick if we have to in the summer

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
What is the take on Dubé BTW. He has caught my eye several times thinking, could this guy be the next Brayden Point? But I am not super convinced, I haven't quite seen that ability to not only be fast, but always have speed on the ice around the puck as Point have. But I haven't seen him a ton.

Most Flames fan are very high on him. I don’t think he’s the level of prospect that’s included in a deal for a rental if you are already giving up a first. He’s a hair above PPG on a pretty mediocre Stockton team this year

Reactions: Meeqs and Ola

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

The comparisons with Brayden Point are apt. Dube actually knows Point and models his game after him.

Frolik isn't a cap dump, but he is a cap casualty. Frolik will slot fine in the middle 6 on an average team on a reasonable cap hit (4.1MM x 1.5 seasons I think). He's not some fringe AHLer cap dump. However, we want that cap hit to negotiate some pay raises for a few RFA such as Tkachuk ($$$), Rittich ($$), Bennett ($$) and Mangiapane ($), but we also need a starter or backup next year and it's unlikely that Smith's 4 mil coming off the books is adequate cap space.

If Calgary is trading with NYC though, I feel like we might try to upgrade Frolik to Zuccarrello over trading for Hayes, but who knows what Treliving is thinking. That dude is patient as hell and does not hesitate to do what is necessary, even if it reveals he made a mistake.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Dillon Dube along with Juuso Valimaki are the 1/2 prospects in the Flames pool right now.
Essentially in a rental trade, both are off the table.

In terms of Dillon's upside. He's got top 6 upside, and a high likelihood of hitting that number. He simply wasn't ready for the NHL in regards to playing a 4th line checking role. The guy won't be 21 until this season's over, and he's a PPG+ player in the AHL; and showed really good flashes in the NHL.

In a Kevin Hayes deal from Calgary's perspective; he's probably in the second tier of available talent at this deadline. Calgary could offer a conditional first, Curtis Lazar and some depth pick (4th rounder). Condition being we make it to the conference finals?

Reactions: CF84 and Ola

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The comparisons with Brayden Point are apt. Dube actually knows Point and models his game after him.

Frolik isn't a cap dump, but he is a cap casualty. Frolik will slot fine in the middle 6 on an average team on a reasonable cap hit (4.1MM x 1.5 seasons I think). He's not some fringe AHLer cap dump. However, we want that cap hit to negotiate some pay raises for a few RFA such as Tkachuk ($$$), Rittich ($$), Bennett ($$) and Mangiapane ($), but we also need a starter or backup next year and it's unlikely that Smith's 4 mil coming off the books is adequate cap space.

If Calgary is trading with NYC though, I feel like we might try to upgrade Frolik to Zuccarrello over trading for Hayes, but who knows what Treliving is thinking. That dude is patient as hell and does not hesitate to do what is necessary, even if it reveals he made a mistake.
Dont you guys have a couple goalies in the system that might become the back up next season?

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
Dont you guys have a couple goalies in the system that might become the back up next season?

Gillies is flopping pretty hard in the AHL. I still think Parsons can turn it around but he should probably get time as a starter in the AHL first. I think they likely add a veteran backup or 1B type in FA depending on how Rittich does the rest of the way

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Calgary could offer a conditional first, Curtis Lazar and some depth pick (4th rounder). Condition being we make it to the conference finals?

Given the lack of first rounders available, I think the Rangers should strongly consider that deal, and it makes sense from a Flames perspective as well.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Gillies is flopping pretty hard in the AHL. I still think Parsons can turn it around but he should probably get time as a starter in the AHL first. I think they likely add a veteran backup or 1B type in FA depending on how Rittich does the rest of the way
Ah okay those were the guys I was thinking of... I remember at 1 point Calgary had 3 goalies that were coming up that were looking promising

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
Ah okay those were the guys I was thinking of... I remember at 1 point Calgary had 3 goalies that were coming up that were looking promising

Those were the days. Would have loved to get Freddy when you guys moved him. Inner division premiums suck

Reactions: Getz2perry

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Would be interesting to hear from Calgary fans what they think of a potential acquisition of Kevin Hayes?

Saw that Lazar was recalled, could it be a showcase thing or is there a reason for it?

Would something like Dillon Dubé, Curtis Lazar and a 1st for Hayes make sense for both teams? Is it too much/too little?

Does it seem like Duchene is first prio for Calgary?
I think it’s probably way too pricey for us. It’s been heavily speculated that we don’t want to move the 1st, let alone Dube. As such, I think we might be out on most of the big names, this year.

Reactions: Ola

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

After an absolutely brutal start to this season, Tyler has slowly turned things around post injury.
Still uber young with a lot of runway. The guy's a battler and a winner, I like him going forward.

Gillies actually has been better as of late as well. He still doesn't really give me confidence in terms of being an every night NHLer, but he could potentially carve out that backup type career our there.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

They are still trending well, but none are seemingly at the level to be ready to be a full time back up. Gilles is closest though. We probably need a 1-2 season stop gap at around a 1A/1B level and that person is unlikely to be Smith. Another thing that is complicating things is that it doesn't look like Rittich is an NHL starter yet, but he looks to be at least a platoon 1B so far.

Gilles was supposed to be the heir apparent, but there's something wrong with him. He had injuries early in his career and I think there's a head thing going on. I could maybe see that we trade him to upgrade prospects.

Parsons is dealing with injuries and mental illness. He'll be fine, but no way we toss him into the bigs next season. He needs at least another 1-2 seasons.

Mason McDonald was written off, but apparently is quietly doing well this season. He could trend well, but he has not put together a track record that makes sense to make him our backup. Again, we will need to see what happens in 1-2 seasons.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
I wonder what it would have cost from you guys, was there ever a potential deal talked about?

If I’m not mistaken Anaheim wanted the pick we used to draft Tkachuk. I know it was talked about. Someone else will hopefully chime in

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If I’m not mistaken Anaheim wanted the pick we used to draft Tkachuk
Id be in heaven if we drafted Tkachuk(him, b. schenn and bennet are my favorite non ducks) ... but ya that kinda makes sense from a team wed have to play 5 times a year + first 2 rounds of playoffs.

Prob a wise move to stick with the pick(granted Andersen would look very good in a flames jersey too)

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Given the lack of first rounders available, I think the Rangers should strongly consider that deal, and it makes sense from a Flames perspective as well.

Pretty much.
Hayes will always have ties to the Flames in terms of his buddy playing here; and in terms of keeping a UFA long term, Hayes does make sense in terms of age and what he brings to the table for our team if we wanted to look at extending over the summer.

Trade kind of pans out for both teams. I doubt the Rangers get a first outright for Hayes when the Duchenes/Panarins/Stones of the world are available; but it's one that could potentially end up rounding out into a first if Calgary has any success in the playoffs. I could see apprehension by Brad Treliving in simply forking over a first in a deal for a guy having a career year too, always wary about doing that regardless.

But he fits. Big, big dude. Good hands, could centre the second line for us. In the West you still need meat in the lineup.

Reactions: Duffalufagus

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I was initially in the Flames aren't taking on a forward camp, but now I'm starting to think otherwise. In the off-season, I think all of Frolik, Stone, and Brodie may be gone. Valimaki and Andersson are developing quicker than expected, and the Flames may move a top 4 d-man to make room for their development. Brodie is likely the odd man out there. If the right player was coming back, the Flames could even move Backlund. I know it's an unpopular move, but to make room for Duchene as a #2 centre, it could happen.

Hayes may not be a bad option. He looks a lot like what the Flames had hoped Neal would be. Hayes age fits in a lot better with our core than Neal too.

Dube is definitely off the table for a player like Hayes. I could see the Flames moving Dube if Stone, Duchene, or Panarin were coming back to Calgary, with discussions to re-sign.

Dube was drafted in the 2nd round, and his value to the organization has increased. So he's essentially worth a 1st rounder to the Flames. The price of two 1sts + is too much for Hayes IMO. Hayes is having a great year, but he's not quite part of that upper echelon of trade targets that the Flames will move a top end prospect for.

Basically, my point is that the Flames aren't as constrained by the cap as it might appear. The quality of free agents is so high this year, that moving players like Brodie and Backlund, to make room for legit high end forwards, might be a possibility.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Pretty much.
Hayes will always have ties to the Flames in terms of his buddy playing here; and in terms of keeping a UFA long term, Hayes does make sense in terms of age and what he brings to the table for our team if we wanted to look at extending over the summer.

Trade kind of pans out for both teams. I doubt the Rangers get a first outright for Hayes when the Duchenes/Panarins/Stones of the world are available; but it's one that could potentially end up rounding out into a first if Calgary has any success in the playoffs. I could see apprehension by Brad Treliving in simply forking over a first in a deal for a guy having a career year too, always wary about doing that regardless.

But he fits. Big, big dude. Good hands, could centre the second line for us. In the West you still need meat in the lineup.

What other pieces, if any, are the flames looking for that the Rangers could add to make trading the 1st easier to swallow?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
What other pieces, if any, are the flames looking for that the Rangers could add to make trading the 1st easier to swallow?

Kind of feel that it's in that weird spot of; the ask from the Flames would be too much and the on the flip side the Rangers could offer too little.
Like; yeah, Hayes and Zucc would be outright a first, plus more... but that's too big of an ask from Calgary.
On the flip, guys that fill a need for Calgary, like McQuaid aren't worth much at all.

I still feel more comfortable offering the conditional pick; for guys like Hayes... if it was a first outright, Calgary would pony up for the Matt Duchene's of the world instead.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Kind of feel that it's in that weird spot of; the ask from the Flames would be too much and the on the flip side the Rangers could offer too little.
Like; yeah, Hayes and Zucc would be outright a first, plus more... but that's too big of an ask from Calgary.
On the flip, guys that fill a need for Calgary, like McQuaid aren't worth much at all.

I still feel more comfortable offering the conditional pick; for guys like Hayes... if it was a first outright, Calgary would pony up for the Matt Duchene's of the world instead.

I think it would be smart if Gorton packaged both Hayes and Zucc to get some high quality assets, especially considering how the market is playing out this deadline.

Reactions: bernmeister

frisland

Apr 9, 2003
if the flames board doesnt want to give up dube or any of the 3 young defensemen, how about something based on gawdin and picks?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad