Confirmed with Link: Hawks ink Kurashev to 3 year ELC

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
In December, his coach Patrick Roy said he thought Kurashev could play in the NHL next season or in 2 years.

"I see him playing in the NHL very quickly. If it's not next year, it'll be the year after. His game is solid, he goes to the net and he stops in front, his defensive game is excellent and he does a good job on faceoffs. In the second half of the season, I'm curious to see how far he can go. The people of Quebec will be excited to see him play", he said.

Patrick Roy ne veut pas de reconstruction - TVA Sports
Did not realize Roy was coaching Kurashev. That must be pretty neat for the kid. Roy isn't much of an NHL coach, but the guy has to be better, or at least more experienced, than most coaches in the QMJHL.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well I do not know if I would call Kirashev's defensive game excellent ...it is at least average ...but again he does not play on a great team ..so there is that.

It is hard for any junior to come directly to the shoeworld. ..get the right role with the right li emayes and make immediate impact..you must remember too than unlike being "the guy" on his 8th in the conference Quebec Ramparts team,where he us the 1C and gets pp time..he would not be I that role on the Hawks ..he could prove he belongs right off the bat IF he takes the 1RW spot if Kane is not on the Toews line ...But to go right to 3C on the Hawks when nobody would describe Kirashev as the perfect 200ft center candidate for that role is hard to imagine.I think he goes to Rockford to hone his overall game if they think 3C will be his role in the show for several years till aToees no longer can do the 1C role.

But it also depends on 8f we landed a better 3C role candidate to fill that spot till Toews ready to move down to that role I a few years when he hits the back side of his 30s.

So I think either Kirashev starts next season as 1RW if Lane on another line ..or he is in Rockford trying to improve his overall game as a C should we not be able to draft even a better C for that 3C role to hold for a few years while Toews still can do 1C.

But..no matter where they use Kirashev ...C or W, he will NOT get pp time given our incumbents.

Thus means he must justify his spot in 5x5 play and face offs ..and defensive trustworthy play ..

We shall know more about their plans got him after we see who we got in the draft this season...Winger or C?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Did not realize Roy was coaching Kurashev. That must be pretty neat for the kid. Roy isn't much of an NHL coach, but the guy has to be better, or at least more experienced, than most coaches in the QMJHL.
Oh it's THE Patrick Roy. That's pretty cool. I wasn't aware he took over as coach.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Wow Johnny's French is very good. Are his parents from Quebec? Cause he has the accent.

He's fluent and yea. I know his mother for sure is from there (don't think her English is as good, but still).

FYI Crawford and Keith are other guys who are fluent (as well as a couple of past players). So was Q when he was here.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

Roy is a good coach at any level. He’s a great judge of talent. He thought the Avalanche roster needed changes and Sakic didn’t. Then he left and the team sank to the bottom without him.

Roy will be an NHL coach again if he wants to be.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
He's fluent and yea. I know his mother for sure is from there (don't think her English is as good, but still).

FYI Crawford and Keith are other guys who are fluent (as well as a couple of past players). So was Q when he was here.
Yeah I knew Johnny spoke French but I don't think I had ever heard it before or at least don't remember.

Crow I've heard for sure. He's also from just outside Montreal.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

Dennis Savard ... my first favorite hockey player. Who didn't like him?

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Roy is a good coach at any level. He’s a great judge of talent. He thought the Avalanche roster needed changes and Sakic didn’t. Then he left and the team sank to the bottom without him.

Roy will be an NHL coach again if he wants to be.
Absolutely incorrect. In Roys last 2 seasons as coach in Col, the team missed the playoffs. They were well on their way to the bottom with him coaching.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Absolutely incorrect. In Roys last 2 seasons as coach in Col, the team missed the playoffs. They were well on their way to the bottom with him coaching.

Well, they continued on that track and reached the bottom without him. He thought the roster wasn’t good enough and he was right. Before he got there, they were bad and after he left, they were bad. It would appear he had that team playing over their heads for the time he was there.

16-25-7 the season before he arrived, then 52-22-8 his first year

39-39-4 his last year, 22-56-4 the year after

All I remember about Roy being a bad coach was the narrative that he would be going in (for whatever reason, I don’t know/remember).

dougd

Jul 20, 2002
fortmcmurray ab can
Man, I see a lot of A Zhamnov style in Kurashev.
Perhaps a bit optimistic, but No 3 C not out of question with 2C within reach if escalating development works out.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Well, they continued on that track and reached the bottom without him. He thought the roster wasn’t good enough and he was right. Before he got there, they were bad and after he left, they were bad. It would appear he had that team playing over their heads for the time he was there.

All I remember about Roy being a bad coach was the narrative that he would be going in (for whatever reason, I don’t know/remember).
Roy was a control freak who left because he didnt have total control of the roster, including trades and drafts. He overachieved his first season and then the team started sliding. He wont be back in the NHL unless a team cedes the GM duties to him as well.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Roy was a control freak who left because he didnt have total control of the roster, including trades and drafts. He overachieved his first season and then the team started sliding. He wont be back in the NHL unless a team cedes the GM duties to him as well.

Yeah, I agree and don’t particularly care for the antics and all of that. My point is just that it is not fair to call him a bad coach based on the results before and after. And he’s always done great in juniors too.

I think it would be interesting to see him with coach and GM control. It’s not something I would normally advocate at all, but if he believes he can do it, it would be cool to put all of the pressure on him and then see what kind of results he produces. But given his temperament, it would be a highly combustible situation for sure.

Crow

May 19, 2014
How many times is 50 going to post the same analysis a different way?

50?

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Wow Johnny's French is very good. Are his parents from Quebec? Cause he has the accent.

His mom is from a small town near Quebec City. She always spoke french at home with her kids. That’s why he is that good.

When Hawks play against the Canadiens he does interviews in french. He even asked the Canadien pbp guy to call him Jonathan the french way during games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin Musto

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
So happy for him. I think he’s gonna prove a lot of the haters on draft day wrong. It does seem like he took a big step forward in his development.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007

He said recently if he comes back in the NHL he would prefer as a GM. He said doing both coaching and GM isn’t possible in the NHL.

Reactions: Giovi

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

The team was getting its head kicked in and got saved by goal tending.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Yeah, I agree and don’t particularly care for the antics and all of that. My point is just that it is not fair to call him a bad coach based on the results before and after. And he’s always done great in juniors too.

I think it would be interesting to see him with coach and GM control. It’s not something I would normally advocate at all, but if he believes he can do it, it would be cool to put all of the pressure on him and then see what kind of results he produces. But given his temperament, it would be a highly combustible situation for sure.
Yeah it would definitely be a combustible situation. And interesting for that reason. Hes just got such an ego that i cant see him being a long term solution anywhere. Sooner or later hed be clashing with ownership, the media, who knows?

I guess to a point my opinion of him is colored by the fact that i just dont like him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad