Hawks 4 Oilers 3 in OT

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
The Spider Mable thing is the only thing Ference has done this season that was admirable. They could have had any other player on the team saved by her and she would have enjoyed her day just as much.

If Ference (mercifully) doesn't play again this season he will have been compensated $50,000 for every pylon-like minute he has been on the ice. hmmmm

Absolutely, 100% false in every way. Do a little research before spouting such blatant ignorance. Criticize him for hockey all you want, but he does so much for kids, the community, and people in general, we probably don't even know the half of it.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Not sure what the fascination is around *****ing about Ference.

The man hasn't played a game since October.

$50K per minute worth of fascination. :sarcasm:

Absolutely, 100% false in every way. Do a little research before spouting such blatant ignorance. Criticize him for hockey all you want, but he does so much for kids, the community, and people in general, we probably don't even know the half of it.

Project November, which I'm not sure is even happening anymore.
Lecturing people to mulch their grass instead of bagging it.
Buying carbon offsets. I wonder if he contributes that money now that he isn't flying anywhere with the team anymore.

Please do outline anything that has been missed.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

I agree he should be commended for this....

But I also think if you're a lawyer and you fall asleep during your closing remarks your client isn't going to high five you for donating blood.

#flawlessanalogy

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

So...whats your point? The man signed a contract and isnt playing because he isnt good enough. Blame MacT not Ference.

Apparently even the Spider Mable thing is open to criticism.

Seems a little petty to me.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Meh screw Talbot and just roll with Nilsson til he stinks it up.
We gave up a couple 2nd round picks for him and not married to him.

Drai, Hall, Nurse were the bright spots tonight for us.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

Buying carbon offsets. I wonder if he contributes that money now that he isn't flying anywhere with the team anymore.

Can't be bothered. Have a good night.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Meh screw Talbot and just roll with Nilsson til he stinks it up.
We gave up a couple 2nd round picks for him and not married to him.

Drai, Hall, Nurse were the bright spots tonight for us.

Talbot/Nilsson. Really doesn't matter too much to me. Most of the games this year have not been decided by goaltending specifically, but defense.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

You've been on his case as a human being, rather than a hockey player, and it's really weird.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
So...whats your point? The man signed a contract and isnt playing because he isnt good enough. Blame MacT not Ference.

Apparently even the Spider Mable thing is open to criticism.

Seems a little petty to me.

I blamed MacT for the signing in post 246. Nobody criticized the Spider Mable thing that I saw.

So ... what is your point? Who is being petty?

You've been on his case as a human being, rather than a hockey player, and it's really weird.

Been on his case for both. I was on his case as a 'human being' only because I was told to do some 'research' which I did...

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I blamed MacT for the signing in post 246. Nobody criticized the Spider Mable thing that I saw.

So ... what is your point? Who is being petty?

Ference isn't even on the radar right now. I have no idea why he he is even being focused on in this thread.

Just let it go.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Been on his case for both. I was on his case as a 'human being' only because I was told to do some 'research' which I did...

As in, I recall a topic eons ago about his charity work being a problem.

You've been on his case as a person, not a player, for awhile.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
lost 7 1 goal games in last 3 weeks. Lotta fluke late goals

22 cf%, 25th in PDO (very unlucky)

Not great but not last bad. Consider this, we have similar possession stats to NYR, main difference is they are #1 in PDO

True but they have Henrik ****ing Lundqvist so of course their PDO will be high.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com

It's November Project and it's still happening.

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
We have 2 shutouts since the start of last season. TWO!

vs Dallas in March
vs Canadiens in Oct -14

:help:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I get it. Ference got so much love on this board for his off ice activities it was really pretty nauseating.
Like it takes a lot of effort for a milionaire to deliver soup to the homeless, or march in a parade. As captain he's probably contractually obligated to do that stuff.
Really, who gives a flying **** what kind of nice person he is. On this board we care about hockey. Ference doesn't do hockey anymore.

Also nice to see so many armchair GMs who were raving over Ference when he signed here, now begging for him to be bought out. I don't even have to look back to know that the MacT swagger gif got busted out in that thread. Happy to say I didn't want the guy here from day one. And I'd be even happier if he'd stop hogging capspace and a roster spot and just gtfo of town asap.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Talbot will get better, he has better fundamentals and has had impressive stints of NHL play. Something Nillson has never had.

its one thing to improve confidence and get back on your A NHL game. Its another if your form is subpar and you never have had success in this league. If things ever do start to go south for Nillson its over for him. lets not forget the team also saved Nillson by keeping him out for awhile after the 6 goals in 30 mins shellacking. Nillsons confidence was completely fried in that game.

Talbot has had some tough breaks. We'll see what his resilience is like. He has to be getting the next start.

Completely agree with this. As I said in the Talbot thread I'd much rather keep him around than Nilsson if it comes down to it. He's just an all-around better goalie. Nilsson has never been a good goalie. He looks very much the same as he has always done and that's not enough to be a starting goalie in this league. Honestly, he's barely a decent backup IMO.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I watch games like tonight and I feel like this team is on the cusp of being a good team. The way we're losing comes down to a couple things. Just small mistakes either by the usual culprits or young guys who lack experience and are gonna make mistakes from time to time, and not getting the benefit of the doubt from officials.

We we're dominant against Chicago at times tonight, they had some real good goaltending and in the end it came down to one sequence that was a perfect example of what separates good veteran teams like Chicago from a bottom dweller like Edmonton. The last play of the game where Hossa scored. It was a combination of perfect execution on behalf of Seabs, Anisimov and Hossa, it was the benefit of the doubt by the officials on the too many men (I don't think it was a penalty but the game happens fast and officials miss calls and if it was opposite and that was the Oilers making that play maybe it gets called) and finally Hossa putting it away.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Completely agree with this. As I said in the Talbot thread I'd much rather keep him around than Nilsson if it comes down to it. He's just an all-around better goalie. Nilsson has never been a good goalie. He looks very much the same as he has always done and that's not enough to be a starting goalie in this league. Honestly, he's barely a decent backup IMO.
I give up even trying to rate goalies anymore.
Guys go from zeros to heroes and back to zeros within a matter of a few seasons these days. To show how little I know on the subject, I would have bet quite a lot that Dubnyk would be out of the league at this point. It was one of the things I was most certain about concerning the Oilers roster. Dude went on to post sixty games worth of scintillating stats and get nominated for a Vezina. :laugh:

But it seems to me that more and more, lots of goaltenders have significant stretches of putrid, followed by shorter, but very impressive, AllStar stretches. Some then revert back to bums, which my pride is hoping will be the case with Dubnyk. There are very few NHL goalies that I would lay my money down on "being a guaranteed starter in this league". Fortunately, we play with Katz's money. :laugh:

For those reasons, I think folks lining up behind either of these two tenders are basing their opinions on their gut, and their personal style preferences, rather than any "real" evidence. Either one of these guys could lead us to the promised land of playoffs (like that loser Dubnyk did for the Wild last season), or find himself sitting in the AHL with a 5.00 GAA (like Scrivens).

Couple things in Nilsson's favor though imo. He's bigger and younger and rightly or wrongly, those two things buy you more chances in this league.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

If it comes down to it at the end of the season where we have to choose one over the other I think you keep whichever one has performed better this season.

I'll preface this by saying I have a penchant for big swedish goalies as I think Sweden has an excellent track record of producing big technically sound goalies who are late bloomers. Personally I think Nilsson has the better upside. In my opinion so far this year we've have the better chance to win with him in net and he's had the better numbers so far but not by much. He has the physical attributes you look for in a goalie, he was very good in SEL and for Swedish junior national teams. He was decent during his AHL/NHL stint of roughly 100 games over 3 years in a crowded NYI system. Also have to consider during that time he battled an ongoing illness that really hampered him during a crucial time in his career. Luckily he has that sorted out posted excellent numbers in the KHL last year, he's still young and coming into that age where goalies start to put it together, if we can get a high end goalie coach like Sean Burke here this is a big young swedish goalie that I would gamble on and keep in the organization at least till end of next year if possible.

Oct 15, 2008
The Spider Mable thing is the only thing Ference has done this season that was admirable. They could have had any other player on the team saved by her and she would have enjoyed her day just as much.

If Ference (mercifully) doesn't play again this season he will have been compensated $50,000 for every pylon-like minute he has been on the ice. hmmmm

He has kept his mouth shut during an extremely difficult/disappointing time for him. I respect that. He was a good player for many years. He deserves and gets my respect.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
If it comes down to it at the end of the season where we have to choose one over the other I think you keep whichever one has performed better this season.

I'll preface this by saying I have a penchant for big swedish goalies as I think Sweden has an excellent track record of producing big technically sound goalies who are late bloomers. Personally I think Nilsson has the better upside. In my opinion so far this year we've have the better chance to win with him in net and he's had the better numbers so far but not by much. He has the physical attributes you look for in a goalie, he was very good in SEL and for Swedish junior national teams. He was decent during his AHL/NHL stint of roughly 100 games over 3 years in a crowded NYI system. Also have to consider during that time he battled an ongoing illness that really hampered him during a crucial time in his career. Luckily he has that sorted out posted excellent numbers in the KHL last year, he's still young and coming into that age where goalies start to put it together, if we can get a high end goalie coach like Sean Burke here this is a big young swedish goalie that I would gamble on and keep in the organization at least till end of next year if possible.

I think you're thinking of Finland. Aside from Lundqvist, Sweden hasn't produced many goalies of note over the past 30 years (Tommy Salo pre-Belarus is probably the 2nd best goalie they've had over that span, which says a lot).

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
For those reasons, I think folks lining up behind either of these two tenders are basing their opinions on their gut, and their personal style preferences, rather than any "real" evidence. Either one of these guys could lead us to the promised land of playoffs (like that loser Dubnyk did for the Wild last season), or find himself sitting in the AHL with a 5.00 GAA (like Scrivens).

Couple things in Nilsson's favor though imo. He's bigger and younger and rightly or wrongly, those two things buy you more chances in this league.

You're not wrong and I'm far from a goalie expert but the way I see it, Talbot has way better fundamentals than Nilsson. When he's been good he's looked way better/more solid than Nilsson ever has. I think Nilsson relies way too much on his size, nothing about his game makes me feel good about having him in net, whereas Talbot has had stretches where he's showcased his potential.

All goalies go through bad stretches and Talbot's confidence is probably shot right now and I think it's pretty clear that he felt that he let the team down. That kind of thing can spiral out of control for goalies and I think the best way is just to play him a lot and let him get into his groove again, then again it's hard not to give Anders the starts because he's been better at this point but I think Talbot has way better chances of making it as a goalie in this league so maybe you just have to give him those starts until he figures it out and gets his confidence back.

I mean, this season in particular has proved that theory. Look at Rask and Bobrovsky:

Cam Talbot - 12 games, 3.09 GAA, .890 SVS%
Tuukka Rask - 13 games, 3.18 GAA, .890 SVS%
Sergei Bobrovsky - 16 games, 3.18 GAA, .894 SVS%

Both of those guys have almost identical stats to Talbot and they're both Vezina Trophy winners. Just goes to show how even some of the best guys can go through some absolutely awful stretches of play, which I guess is kind of what you were saying in your post anyway. But yeah, my point being that I think Talbot is very capable of improving those numbers and maybe ends up at .910 at least when it's all said and done, whereas I doubt Nilsson will ever be a consistent .910+ goalie. Rather I see him fluctuating around .900 similar to a certain Ondrej Pavelec.

I have watched Nilsson for most of his career and I've never been impressed by him. He was straight up bad during his time with the Isles and it doesn't look like he has improved since. I was hopeful that maybe his stint in the KHL had made him better, but then I saw him in the world championships and he was the same guy as he had always been. I think the numbers in KHL/euro leagues are kinda deceiving as goalies always tend to post better numbers there. Anders is probably very well suited for the euro game but he has yet to prove that he has what it takes to play in North America.

As I said, I think he is playing to the most of his capacity right now whereas I think Talbot isn't even close to his best. So basically, the way I see it, one guy is going through a tough stretch but is capable of much better while the other is what he is. So while he has better numbers right now that doesn't mean much to me. I'm confident it will show the longer the season goes on that Talbot is a better goalie and the one worth keeping around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad