Hawks 4 Oilers 3 in OT

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
He has kept his mouth shut during an extremely difficult/disappointing time for him. I respect that. He was a good player for many years. He deserves and gets my respect.

I agree 100% with this post. I am sure that he knows that a buyout is coming but he has not made himself into an issue. It is refreshing to see that in a player these days.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I get it. Ference got so much love on this board for his off ice activities it was really pretty nauseating.
Like it takes a lot of effort for a milionaire to deliver soup to the homeless, or march in a parade. As captain he's probably contractually obligated to do that stuff.
Really, who gives a flying **** what kind of nice person he is. On this board we care about hockey. Ference doesn't do hockey anymore.

Also nice to see so many armchair GMs who were raving over Ference when he signed here, now begging for him to be bought out. I don't even have to look back to know that the MacT swagger gif got busted out in that thread. Happy to say I didn't want the guy here from day one. And I'd be even happier if he'd stop hogging capspace and a roster spot and just gtfo of town asap.

Agreed! Unfortunately there really is no way for him to get out of town. It's unreasonable to expect him to retire voluntarily. Not buying Ference out at the start of the season was Chia's biggest mistake this off-season IMO. It looks like one of the young D will have to be sent down when they all have shown they are developing here on the big team.

I guess this means we'll have a little more cap space in 2017-18, but at what cost this season? LTIR seems like the only possibility. Is slow and pylon-like an actual injury? :sarcasm:

I agree 100% with this post. I am sure that he knows that a buyout is coming but he has not made himself into an issue. It is refreshing to see that in a player these days.

How would he make himself into an issue? I'm guessing no reporters are asking him questions in the locker room. Does he even have a spot in the locker room anymore? Unfortunately, Ference never played like a true NHLer at any time here in Edmonton. Athletes very quickly lose their bully pulpit when they can't play the game anymore.

I guess he can be commended for not behaving petulantly. Although that should be a given IMO. Perhaps that behaviour was self-interested as it avoided him being bought out before the start of this season?

Last edited:

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Agreed! Unfortunately there really is no way for him to get out of town. It's unreasonable to expect him to retire voluntarily. Not buying Ference out at the start of the season was Chia's biggest mistake this off-season IMO. It looks like one of the young D will have to be sent down when they all have shown they are developing here on the big team.

I guess this means we'll have a little more cap space in 2017-18, but at what cost this season? LTIR seems like the only possibility. Is slow and pylon-like an actual injury? :sarcasm:

How would he make himself into an issue? I'm guessing no reporters are asking him questions in the locker room. Does he even have a spot in the locker room anymore? Unfortunately, Ference never played like a true NHLer at any time here in Edmonton. Athletes very quickly lose their bully pulpit when they can't play the game anymore.

I guess he can be commended for not behaving petulantly. Although that should be a given IMO. Perhaps that behaviour was self-interested as it avoided him being bought out before the start of this season?

Nikitin should have been bought out this past offseason. Buying out Ference would have hit the cap for 4 years; really, it is better for the team to ride out this year of his contract and buy him out next offseason.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Well then, nice to wake up this morning reading posts about the human qualitys of a hockey player that had absolutely nothing to do with last nights game, or most of the games this season. Very refreshing. :shakehead

Anyways, I happened to miss the first 1 1/2 periods last night because of other things. Did the Oilers look as good as they did all game, or was it just the third? It was 1-0 at the point I began to watch.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Talbot will get better, he has better fundamentals and has had impressive stints of NHL play. Something Nillson has never had.

its one thing to improve confidence and get back on your A NHL game. Its another if your form is subpar and you never have had success in this league. If things ever do start to go south for Nillson its over for him. lets not forget the team also saved Nillson by keeping him out for awhile after the 6 goals in 30 mins shellacking. Nillsons confidence was completely fried in that game.

Talbot has had some tough breaks. We'll see what his resilience is like. He has to be getting the next start.

I like Talbot more as well. I think it's more mental with him right now than physical. He had a very rough start to last season as well.

As you said, he's fundmentally sound and just seems to have a calmness about him that most good goalies have whereas Nilsson seems more jittery. His play has fallen off the rails the last couple of weeks but I wouldn't throw dirt on him just yet. I predict that he'll take over as starter by the new year.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Nikitin should have been bought out this past offseason. Buying out Ference would have hit the cap for 4 years; really, it is better for the team to ride out this year of his contract and buy him out next offseason.

Nikitin's buried though so he's not taking up a roster spot or a cap space. Since Katz doesn't have any issue paying him big bucks in the minors it is in the team's best interest not to have bought him out.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
The NHL really needs to reconsider some of their hiring policies. I understand that there should definitely be equal employment opportunities provided to people with disabilities.

But they really need to stop hiring all these blind refs.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
What this mean does?

If I'm reading your "Yodaish" correctly, it may be referring to Teddy Purcell. Yesterday on the Oilers site, his (I think pregame) interview was partly about Purcy changing his game to fit better and that he had Oates as a trainer for it or something like that.

popo

Aug 9, 2005
Klefbom looked bad for the first few games after missing pre-season.
Purcell also took a while to find his game after missing pre-season.
So I will give Eberle a bit of leeway to find his game again. He has shown flashes, but I expect him to be much better after a few more games.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I like Talbot more as well. I think it's more mental with him right now than physical. He had a very rough start to last season as well.

As you said, he's fundmentally sound and just seems to have a calmness about him that most good goalies have whereas Nilsson seems more jittery. His play has fallen off the rails the last couple of weeks but I wouldn't throw dirt on him just yet. I predict that he'll take over as starter by the new year.

In the Talbot thread I discuss how he saw too much action between October 1-31 and culminating in the bad Calgary game. Going though that stretch you can see where giving him too much action in a short window of time wasn't the best thing.

McLellan has a temptation (stated) to run with one horse and WANTS to do that. Nillson got parked after the Caps game. mistakes all around.

Also Nillson got some easier games to ease him back in after the Caps debacle. Talbot gets games against the Hawks and Kings. For my money the two best teams in the league.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I have watched both Oilers-Blackhawks games in the presence of Hawks fans that I play rec hockey with. They haven't watched the Oilers outside these two games, and they all wonder how the Oilers have a 6-12-1 record because they agree that Crawford stole 4 points for the Hawks.

I take this as a positive sign because these guys are used to watching a good hockey team here in Chicago and this is the first time they admit Edmonton appears to be playing the type of game it takes to win in the Western Conference - meaning the Hawks had a solid game and yet the Oilers were able to hang right there with them and probably deserved a better fate, if it were not for Crawford playing very well.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

He really is a class act. He said he would accept whatever role he was given, and he has my utmost respect for following through with it.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I have watched both Oilers-Blackhawks games in the presence of Hawks fans that I play rec hockey with. They haven't watched the Oilers outside these two games, and they all wonder how the Oilers have a 6-12-1 record because they agree that Crawford stole 4 points for the Hawks.

I take this as a positive sign because these guys are used to watching a good hockey team here in Chicago and this is the first time they admit Edmonton appears to be playing the type of game it takes to win in the Western Conference - meaning the Hawks had a solid game and yet the Oilers were able to hang right there with them and probably deserved a better fate, if it were not for Crawford playing very well.

Sometimes theres a very fine line between winning and losing. Crawford was undoubtedly much more help than Nillson but that's an appreciable part of the puzzle. The Oilers still find moments to make mistakes that end up in losing games. For instance what on Earth could two players be thinking, Eberle, and Nuge, lazy skating back to the bench in 3 on 3 play. I don't care if you're dead beat at that point and can hardly feel your legs. There has to be more sense of urgency and the worst thing is you kind of know it was an attention lapse in detail. Players almost forgetting that if they both jump off late theres 1 player left on the ice..:shakehead

Sometimes I think we lose because this team is just chock full of stupid.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Sometimes theres a very fine line between winning and losing. Crawford was undoubtedly much more help than Nillson but that's an appreciable part of the puzzle. The Oilers still find moments to make mistakes that end up in losing games. For instance what on Earth could two players be thinking, Eberle, and Nuge, lazy skating back to the bench in 3 on 3 play. I don't care if you're dead beat at that point and can hardly feel your legs. There has to be more sense of urgency and the worst thing is you kind of know it was an attention lapse in detail. Players almost forgetting that if they both jump off late theres 1 player left on the ice..:shakehead

I agree (and I think McLellan does as well based on his press conference comments lately). Unlike the Eakins regime, the Oilers now are playing a team game that will allow them to win games; however, key mistakes are still being made that have cost the team numerous points this season. They are painful lessons to learn, and I think the players are finally in the proper environment to learn these lessons without having the spirit beat out of them. Eliminating dumb mistakes while playing the system effectively will be the next step in the evolution of this team and I expect two steps forward, one step back all season.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Completely agreed.

I think this team is going through the last stage of the process. (I know shades of Eakins.) They are learning how to win. There have been many nights this season that the team deserved a better fate than they came out with. I can't recall the last season you could say that about the Oilers.

Many, many players have taken positive steps forward this season. The wins will come.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB

Combine the Oilers being super skilled at finding ways to lose, with a team that is super skilled at finding ways to win (even when they don't deserve it) and you get last night.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Well then, nice to wake up this morning reading posts about the human qualitys of a hockey player that had absolutely nothing to do with last nights game, or most of the games this season. Very refreshing. :shakehead

Anyways, I happened to miss the first 1 1/2 periods last night because of other things. Did the Oilers look as good as they did all game, or was it just the third? It was 1-0 at the point I began to watch.

The Oilers outplayed the Hakws all night. Pretty much the only time the Hawks got any chances were the ones they scored on.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Nikitin's buried though so he's not taking up a roster spot or a cap space. Since Katz doesn't have any issue paying him big bucks in the minors it is in the team's best interest not to have bought him out.

You may want to look into the cap space claim above.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Not that this is the Talbot thread, but the first 9 games after Lundqvist went down, his stats were the same as this year's. Then he absolutely killed it.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Nillson didn't have any impressive outing. Especially considering Hawks only played half of this game and had only 8shots in first 32mins. Soon as Hawks turned it on they were having no problem beating Nillson.

First goal was just a great play.

2nd goal no reason for Nillson to be down there. Its an easy finish for Panarin because Nillson is down like usual.

3rd goal really bad. Nillson down throughout the Shaw sequence and can't move as the angle changes because he's down (and has zero mobility when he's down) and Shaw had most of an empty net to flip it into.

4 goal an aging Hossa that doesn't score as many anymore just blows it right by Nillson from stoppable range. Nillson didn't even move. Crawford makes that save in his sleep.

lol at the glove hand flub in 2nd period where Nillson fumbles a routine dump almost causing a goal against.

People have confidence in this guy? I sure don't.

It's Nilsson - and he's definitely not a great goalie, but the best option we have right now until Talbot decides to stop letting in 1-2 softies every game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad