Hawks 4 Oilers 3 in OT

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If anything that makes the fact we're last even more frustrating. This team is a bounce or two away from being competitive and it always goes against them. My heart sunk when Crawford made that save because I knew the Hawks would score shortly after.

I know, it's frustrating beyond belief. But there is life in this team that I hadn't seen from an Oiler team in years. The forwards are going to be very tough to contain once McDavid returns, they will be able to roll three 1st lines basically and the young defense is improving every game. There will be some bumps in the road but the arrows are pointing up.

It's hard to see it now but Mclellan has these boys buying in. They just gotta shake that losing mentality, it's still there unfortunately where they almost expect something bad to happen, but it's not going to last and I could see the rewards being reaped in the second half of the season once McDavid returns. I bet that they finish 9th or 10th in the conference.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Insanely frustrating watching another loss.

But this team is not bad. This is a different team than the past 9 years of *****. They're battling and a when it turns its going to turn big time.

Looking at the schedule it's completely possible for them to win the next 7 straight games.

And how freaking good does Drai look?! Wow. I'm loving this kids game.

Seven?!?!
That's amazing enthusiasm. If yo are right.... well I won't do anything insane but I'll toast you next time I drink

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
The Oilers are going to need a completely absurd winning streak at some point this year for this season to not be another top 5 pick embarrassment.

I'd almost feel bad at snagging another top 5, but **** the NHL if they're going to officiate like this.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I know, it's frustrating beyond belief. But there is life in this team that I hadn't seen from an Oiler team in years. The forwards are going to be very tough to contain once McDavid returns, they will be able to roll three 1st lines basically and the young defense is improving every game. There will be some bumps in the road but the arrows are pointing up.

It's hard to see it now but Mclellan has these boys buying in. They just gotta shake that losing mentality, it's still there unfortunately where they almost expect something bad to happen, but it's not going to last and I could see the rewards being reaped in the second half of the season once McDavid returns. I bet that they finish 9th or 10th in the conference.
They could easily run...

Hall - Drai - Purcell
Pouliot - McDavid - Yak
Korpikoski - RNH - Eberle

That's scary

ChiTownCode

Natural Perm
Aug 13, 2013
Chicago
Your boys looked like the far superior team tonight, Hawks got very lucky tonight.

Drai looks to be the truth which should make for a fun off-season in Oil country since you have all the pieces to get a top flight D-man without ruining your core.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

The question is by the time McDavid returns will the team have already packed it in? Years and years of losing is very hard to undo, especially when your best player goes down on a seemingly harmless play. If it can go wrong for the Oilers it will.

McDeathbyCheerios*

The question is by the time McDavid returns will the team have already packed it in? Years and years of losing is very hard to undo, especially when your best player goes down on a seemingly harmless play. If it can go wrong for the Oilers it will.
If you don't believe that anything good can happen, or we can ever turn it around then honestly why do you still pay attention

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

I don't think Mclellan will let them "pack it in". The resiliency of this team has improved tenfold this season. They have come back from multiple goal deficits against elite teams no less many times this season, there's no quit in this group. Just look at all the communication on the bench tonight even when they were down, it's a group that is coming together.

Tighten up those late 3rd period moments and this team would have been in a playoff spot now although in a weak division but still...

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
At 5th overall, the Edmonton Oilers.

-opens chart-

And we have a winner!

-AND THE HOCKEY WORLD SCREAMS CONSPIRACY-

CUJtUYLUkAAVe5C.jpg

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If you don't believe that anything good can happen, or we can ever turn it around then honestly why do you still pay attention

I think this team can turn it around, but man it just feels like every game something bad is going to happen. Not because the team is bad, but because bad things just happen to this team. Count the injuries over the past few years and how many have been on perfectly innocent plays or just something innocuous.

I mean after Taylor Hall taking a skate to the face in warmup, what's left?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Your boys looked like the far superior team tonight, Hawks got very lucky tonight.

Drai looks to be the truth which should make for a fun off-season in Oil country since you have all the pieces to get a top flight D-man without ruining your core.

Unless you're planning on sending Duncan Keith our way, that doesn't really help.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't think Mclellan will let them "pack it in". The resiliency of this team has improved tenfold this season. They have come back from multiple goal deficits against elite teams no less many times this season, there's no quit in this group. Just look at all the communication on the bench tonight even when they were down, it's a group that is coming together.

Tighten up those late 3rd period moments and this team would have been in a playoff spot now although in a weak division but still...

I don't think he will either but sometimes it just becomes too much. To be consistently let down despite your best efforts is soul crushing. The Oilers have to play a perfect game to win, whereas opposing teams can just fluke their way to victory.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I don't think he will either but sometimes it just becomes too much. To be consistently let down despite your best efforts is soul crushing. The Oilers have to play a perfect game to win, whereas opposing teams can just fluke their way to victory.

I have to say i've been surprised with Halls comments.

I expected his head would be spinning at this point. But he seems to be fairly content with how the team is playing-- competing against some of the best teams in the league etc.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I think this team can turn it around, but man it just feels like every game something bad is going to happen. Not because the team is bad, but because bad things just happen to this team. Count the injuries over the past few years and how many have been on perfectly innocent plays or just something innocuous.

I mean after Taylor Hall taking a skate to the face in warmup, what's left?

At the end of the day, the winning team wins a cup that the fans don't even get to touch or drink out of and everyone forgets about it in a couple of months. It's really not something to get worked up about. Or at least that's what I've been saying to myself for the last almost 10 years

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
This Oilers team deserves to be the cockiest bunch of ****s that have ever put on hockey jerseys when they start winning after the **** they've had to deal with.

If we really are at the '(BLANK) fan here, good game guys, we got lucky to win that one' stage, I'll just scream.

**** moral victories, **** 'almost', **** 'almost but couldn't quite get there.'.
If Oilers were the vet team, they'd be the team getting screwed by the refs.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I have to say i've been surprised with Halls comments.

I expected his head would be spinning at this point. But he seems to be fairly content with how the team is playing-- competing against some of the best teams in the league etc.

Hall's grown more mature as each year went by. He's a real leader on this team.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
At the end of the day, the winning team wins a cup that the fans don't even get to touch or drink out of and everyone forgets about it in a couple of months. It's really not something to get worked up about. Or at least that's what I've been saying to myself for the last almost 10 years

This is true. If the Oilers play like this the rest of the season I will be a happy hockey fan.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
This is true. If the Oilers play like this the rest of the season I will be a happy hockey fan.

Same. Can't really complain on a night where the Oilers went toe to toe with the champs. Who knows? If the NHL manned up and went back to 5 on 5 OT the Oilers could have had a good shot of winning

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
The Oilers are going to need a completely absurd winning streak at some point this year for this season to not be another top 5 pick embarrassment.

I think that's a bit much. The Oilers are only four points out of escaping the bottom five in the league at this point. That's without McJebus for 1/3rd of the season so far. Not that finishing 21st to 25th overall would be any great shakes, but it would be an improvement.

Agreed. McDavid-Nuge-Drai are all at least worthy of playing on the top two lines. That's a mighty big piece to go somewhere.

Hopefully a team get's desperate for defensive help and takes Ference off our hands. Ok, that won't happen but maybe he gets 'hurt' in practice and we can LTIR him.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I think that's a bit much. The Oilers are only four points out of escaping the bottom five in the league at this point. That's without McJebus for 1/3rd of the season so far. Not that finishing 21st to 25th overall would be any great shakes, but it would be an improvement.

Agreed. McDavid-Nuge-Drai are all at least worthy of playing on the top two lines. That's a mighty big piece to go somewhere.

Hopefully a team get's desperate for defensive help and takes Ference of our hands. Ok, that won't happen but maybe he gets hurt in practice and we can LTIR him.

Who the hell would want Ference? I can't wait until he retires and his gross contract is off the books. Same could be applied to pylon Nikitin.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Teddy Purcell is really starting to impress me. Here is a player who wasn't happy with his game, knew he could do better, wanted to do better, and is having an impact in games based in that effort level. If he keeps it up, he is a solid player to have in the top nine. If he keeps it up all season long, maybe you even keep him around next year.
I wish some of our other players would start waking up and take these games more seriously as well. Damn it Eberle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad