Hawks 4 Oilers 3 in OT

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Respectfully, how is that refreshing or worthy of some sort of respect. Its the minimum we should be able to expect from a professional.

Imo Nikitin has had the harder row to hoe being sent to the minors. He has by all accounts been a real soldier down there, and a calming influence.
Hasn't said a peep either. Ference sits in the press box and tweets about greenhouse gas.

Nikitin, a better player than Ference by a country mile, mocked by the entire board.
Ference, useless since the day he got here, respected as a nice man.
Sorry, I'm having none of that thanks.

I actually agree that it is the minimum we should expect from a professional. Unfortunately in pro sports these days that is often asking too much. So maybe my comment is as much a reflection of cynicism as it is faint praise for Ference. I think hockey is perhaps better than other sports but it is pretty rare that a player would take what is happening to Ference without making it a difficult situation either in public or behind closed doors.

I personally think Ference is done and probably was last year. But it's not my livelihood on the line here. By sitting him this pretty much insures he is finished. Of course he is being compensated very well for sitting in the pb so at that level he really should accept his fate and count himself lucky. But unfortunately that is not how it typically plays out.

Many athletes have a tough time with facing the end and dragging it out it makes it tougher. Selanne for example was always considered a class act. But even he had a hard time realising that what was best for him and best for the team was not necessarily the same thing. The Ducks had been very loyal to him and by giving him time each summer to make his decision about returning they often put themselves in a difficult situation. But when his play dropped off substantially and Boudreau decided to limit his minutes and to scratch him in the playoffs Selanne took this as a personal insult.

As for Nikitin, I actually agree that he has taken his demotion very well and should be acknowledged for it.

phaedrusDH

Jul 6, 2009

The Lander/Korpi/Pak line was surprisingly dominant over all Hawks lines other than #1.
Davidson/Reinhart looking good by these metrics too.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

The Lander/Korpi/Pak line was surprisingly dominant over all Hawks lines other than #1.
Davidson/Reinhart looking good by these metrics too.

Aside from scoring, Lander has been playing a lot better lately. The kid just needs to score one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad