Hawks 4 Oilers 3 in OT

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It's Nilsson - and he's definitely not a great goalie, but the best option we have right now until Talbot decides to stop letting in 1-2 softies every game.

Nillson despite being weak on 2-3 of the goals last night and flubbing a dump in that was close to ending up in the back of the net makes less startling mistakes. That doesn't change that he had a poor set for half the goals last night. Like I've been saying Nilson is completely susceptible to any puck action moving across. Either pass across or move across and put it above pad and he's done like dinner. Panarin, Kane can score all day on this guy.

Conversely Talbot has been caught occasionally cheating off the post. But that's mainly due to him expecting to be able to make the spectacular save going across and having to do that countless times.

Just looked at stats and starts as well. Nillson still floating a higher GAA average DESPITE being in net against 4 non playoff position clubs. In contrast 8 out of 10 games Talbot has been in have been against clear playoff clubs.

So in sum Nillson getting the easier workload and letting in more goals.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Nillson despite being weak on 2-3 of the goals last night and flubbing a dump in that was close to ending up in the back of the net makes less startling mistakes. That doesn't change that he had a poor set for half the goals last night. Like I've been saying Nilson is completely susceptible to any puck action moving across. Either pass across or move across and put it above pad and he's done like dinner.

Conversely Talbot has been caught occasionally cheating off the post. But that's mainly due to him expecting to be able to make the spectacular save going across.

Just looked at stats and starts as well. Nillson still floating a higher GAA average DESPITE being in net against 4 non playoff position clubs. In contrast 8 out of 10 games Talbot has been in have been against clear playoff clubs.

They have been pretty even bad goals wise however the team seems to play better in front of Nilsson for some reason though

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Nillson despite being weak on 2-3 of the goals last night and flubbing a dump in that was close to ending up in the back of the net makes less startling mistakes. That doesn't change that he had a poor set for half the goals last night. Like I've been saying Nilson is completely susceptible to any puck action moving across. Either pass across or move across and put it above pad and he's done like dinner. Panarin, Kane can score all day on this guy.

Conversely Talbot has been caught occasionally cheating off the post. But that's mainly due to him expecting to be able to make the spectacular save going across and having to do that countless times.

It's almost like that Kane guy is really, really good at hockey. ;)

I don't know if I would classify any of the goals as soft ones. Maybe the third goal but I think that was just dumb luck on Shaw's part. Had he not fanned on the initial shot Nilsson would've saved it.

Also that OT goal was just a brilliant shot by Hossa, who by the way is also a really, really good hockey player.

Jun 9, 2011
Draisaitl did well on the dot last night. against Toews. wow. The energy in this game for the entire 60 minutes was just what we've been asking for all season. Hall was flying, Eberle comes up with a goal. We only got one point out of this, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the game that turns it around for us.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto

I don't know if I would classify any of the goals as soft ones. Maybe the third goal but I think that was just dumb luck on Shaw's part. Had he not fanned on the initial shot Nilsson would've saved it.

Also that OT goal was just a brilliant shot by Hossa, who by the way is also a really, really good hockey player.

Agreed. Kane and Hossa can score on MOST goalies in the league all day ;)

Great game by the Oilers - I actually enjoyed watching it, as opposed to cursing at the players... Here's to a change in the stats sheet now!

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

Nilsson was "okay", but not great. Unfortunately, "okay" is better than Talbot recently. I think Talbot will eventually work things out though.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Agreed. Kane and Hossa can score on MOST goalies in the league all day ;)

Great game by the Oilers - I actually enjoyed watching it, as opposed to cursing at the players... Here's to a change in the stats sheet now!

The Hossa thing is being overstated here. One of the knocks on him this season is he's being setup up all day and can't score to save his life. I didn't check now but at one point this season his shooting was 5%.

People are thinking Hossa in prime. Which is a far cry from the current player. Hossa isn't much of a scoring threat anymore. But made Nillson look like a Junior goalie on that one. You know that Crawford stops that shot ten times in a row. He robbed Hall on much more dangerous plays 3 times in the game. This was an unscreened middle distance shot Nillson was looking at. Didn't even move. lol

This is really average goaltending we're getting. Its been so long since we've had a good goalie people are not seeing the difference.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Hossa thing is being overstated here. One of the knocks on him this season is he's being setup up all day and can't score to save his life. I didn't check now but at one point this season his shooting was 5%.

People are thinking Hossa in prime. Which is a far cry from the current player. Hossa isn't much of a scoring threat anymore. But made Nillson look like a Junior goalie on that one. You know that Crawford stops that shot ten times in a row. He robbed Hall on much more dangerous plays 3 times in the game. This was an unscreened middle distance shot Nillson was looking at. Didn't even move. lol

This is really average goaltending we're getting. Its been so long since we've had a good goalie people are not seeing the difference.

Even if he's not in his prime he's still a damn good player. He'd be fantastic on this team and you know it. A guy doesn't get to nearly 500 goals by being average, you know.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
The Oilers outplayed the Hakws all night. Pretty much the only time the Hawks got any chances were the ones they scored on.

Thanks for that.

Like a few here have already said, I had the distinct feeling while watching them that the way they played, they should be able to beat most teams. I just hope they can keep up the good work. Might get interesting when we have a full, healthy lineup.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Thanks for that.

Like a few here have already said, I had the distinct feeling while watching them that the way they played, they should be able to beat most teams. I just hope they can keep up the good work. Might get interesting when we have a full, healthy lineup.

I'll add my voice to this chorus. I'm sick and tired of moral victories and 'they looked good', but the improvement in quality systems hockey is very noticeable.

Just please, for the love of god, win a game sometime soon...

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I think once Lander pots one in, the bottom 6 will get going. The guy can't seem to buy a goal. He seems to be doing everything right so far.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Nilsson was "okay", but not great. Unfortunately, "okay" is better than Talbot recently. I think Talbot will eventually work things out though.

lol he stood on his dome int e 2nd, he was "OK" lol come on man

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I agree 100% with this post. I am sure that he knows that a buyout is coming but he has not made himself into an issue. It is refreshing to see that in a player these days.
Respectfully, how is that refreshing or worthy of some sort of respect. Its the minimum we should be able to expect from a professional.

Imo Nikitin has had the harder row to hoe being sent to the minors. He has by all accounts been a real soldier down there, and a calming influence.
Hasn't said a peep either. Ference sits in the press box and tweets about greenhouse gas.

Nikitin, a better player than Ference by a country mile, mocked by the entire board.
Ference, useless since the day he got here, respected as a nice man.
Sorry, I'm having none of that thanks.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Respectfully, how is that refreshing or worthy of some sort of respect. Its the minimum we should be able to expect from a professional.

Imo Nikitin has had the harder row to hoe being sent to the minors. He has by all accounts been a real soldier down there, and a calming influence.
Hasn't said a peep either. Ference sits in the press box and tweets about greenhouse gas.

Nikitin, a better player than Ference by a country mile, mocked by the entire board.

I think the reason why Niki gets more flak is because of how he came into camp in no where near game shape last year, and looked more often than not like he didnt care at all.

That being said they both put a guy like Souray to shame who did nothing but whine and complain while he floundered in the AHL for Hershey. :D ;)

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I think once Lander pots one in, the bottom 6 will get going. The guy can't seem to buy a goal. He seems to be doing everything right so far.

I feel bad for Lander. He works hard, has been very responsible defensively the majority of the time, but just can't buy a goal. Yeah he had a terrible game in LA (I think it was against them, I forget), but every player has those once in a while.

The problem is that the team desperately needs bottom 6 scoring and they aren't getting any. I hope he can start finding the back of the net soon. He's proven he can play well and even internationally. Just snake bitten. McLellan as well seems to always like what he's doing, so clearly he's catching the coaching staff's eyes.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I think the reason why Niki gets more flak is because of how he came into camp in no where near game shape last year, and looked more often than not like he didnt care at all.

That being said they both put a guy like Souray to shame who did nothing but whine and complain while he floundered in the AHL for Hershey. :D ;)
Heh heh. I was actually going to throw a Souray reference in there, along the lines of "Ference isn't stupid, he remembers what this team did to Souray".

Then I realized Souray could still play and had a legit gripe being buried. Ference not so much, so it wasn't really an appropriate comparison.

And further, I realized that my vehement defense of Souray at the time, might be remembered by someone on the board, and doesn't fit my current narrative that keeping ones mouth shut is "the least we can expect from a professional".

Figures it'd be you to come along within minutes and point out my double standard. :laugh:

As for Niki being out of shape, yeah, bad on him. But I have no idea how much of that was over-stated as an attempt by management to hide the fact that they'd selected another dud player and overpaid him. Besides, I'd rather have an out of shape Nikitin than Ference any day.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Heh heh. I was actually going to throw a Souray reference in there, along the lines of "Ference isn't stupid, he remembers what this team did to Souray".

Then I realized Souray could still play and had a legit gripe being buried. Ference not so much, so it wasn't really an appropriate comparison.

And further, I realized that my vehement defense of Souray at the time, might be remembered by someone on the board, and doesn't fit my current narrative that keeping ones mouth shut is "the least we can expect from a professional".

Figures it'd be you to come along within minutes and point out my double standard. :laugh:

:wedgie:

:cheers:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Perfectly said.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
"We outplayed the Stanley cup champions.."
Yes, we did lose in overtime...
But the team never gave up....
Maybe we lost on the scoreboard.. But this was the kind of game, that instills confidence ...

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Even if he's not in his prime he's still a damn good player. He'd be fantastic on this team and you know it. A guy doesn't get to nearly 500 goals by being average, you know.

tbh I never wanted him. He would coast here. He's a different player on a championship club with the kind of leadership the Hawks have. He would be grossly overpaid here.

That said I've never been a huge fan of the player. Been good for the Hawks though.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
lmao Hossa has been to the final 5 of the last what 10 finals? Terribly average player right replacement?

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
lmao Hossa has been to the final 5 of the last what 10 finals? Terribly average player right replacement?

And he'd be playing on a team that was worse than the Atlanta team he played on before those last 10 finals.
Just checked. 5 out of the last 8. That's insane hahaha.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
lol he stood on his dome int e 2nd, he was "OK" lol come on man

He really didn't. He had one nice save on a partial breakaway but he didn't face that tough of workload last night. He was fairly solid, but should have stopped the Panarin goal (where he was so slow reacting to the shot) and the Shaw goal (where he put himself completely out of position on the fanned shot attempt and somehow couldn't recover).

I do agree with replacement that this team hasn't seen good goaltending in a long time. There's been some flashes here and there over the years, but its been consistently average to down right horrible. The D takes some blame, but a star goalie here would have this team over .500 this year quite easily imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad