Have you become a Bernier believer?

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I was probably the only guy here arguing last off-season for us to acquire him. Been a believer in him since day 1.

Check those threads where I'd go back and forth with zeke and analytics (a poster I respect but disagreed with on the particular topic of Bernier vs Reimer).

Had a great season in L.A last year as well. Outplayed Quick by a good margin. But Quick becomes a world-class goaltender when the playoffs come.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
It's funny, but many fans mocked Kings fans for saying how much of a stud he is before he was traded. Many "hasn't proved anything yet" and "his numbers aren't that great". But us fans that were fortunate enough to see him play many times could see what kind of goaltender he is and was going to be.

I like Reimer, but I really don't see how how it's going to be any competition.

It's better if both keep pushing each other for the Leafs, but Bernier will definitely win that battle.

There's a difference between potential and results. He has potential to be an elite goalie but that potential goes down the drain if he doesn't put up the results. As I've said earlier right now he's playing lights out, but he hasn't played such a huge amount of games where opposing teams can pick up tape on him. Once that starts happening and he still plays like he does, then I'll give him the title, but right now the amount of games hes played on such a sporadic amount of time (due to being Quick's backup) shouldn't be enough to declare him the Leafs savior. Like do you honestly believe Ottawa knows Bernier like they do Reimer?

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
He's just so calm. When he's collecting a rebound or playing the puck behind the net there's no rush to his game.

Cold blooded.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Bernier has been great.....but

The guy we traded for him is still beating him in both GAA and save percentage....

image_zps346f3408.jpg

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Well, You've seen Bernier play a few times now. You heard us Kings fans telling you how great he is, and that he was just stuck behind Quick. What's your assessment now.

Still think he just played in front of a great D and hasn't proven anything?

Leafs are going to love what he brings and I wish you the best.

i trusted kings fans, because they have no reason to lie to us.

his run in l.a. was impressive, but to actually see how solid his fundamentals are (except for stopping wrap arounds), like angles, anticipation, rebound control, staying stable and an incredibly sharp glove hand; wow! steady and really quick!

i think that the only 2 goalies i'd rate above him in the east might be rask and rinne.

Ragoligist

Jul 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Shootouts

L.a fans have said that bernier is horrible on shoot outs. Hopefully they don't get everything right.

Johnathan was 1-5 in shoot outs....that's why we say it's been a weakness....if the Leafs can play some defense in front of him you'll see...congratulations on the 3-0 start.......

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I love Reimers heart but from everything i saw in the preseason and the 4 periods he's played I think Randy is gonna ride the Bernier pony until he needs a break or is pulled. He is just so good positionally and damn he has ice in his veins. To think we still have Clarkson coming in another 7 games is gonna make the leafs a real tuff team to play against.

All the Nonis bashers should be singing his praise for getting Franson, Kadri and Raymond all for under 6 million!

n1ck13

Jul 28, 2013
Always was a Bernier believer. However, if you mean has he proven he is a legit number 1, no---not really, definitely on his way to doing so though.

As far as the goalie debate goes, I think that rash decisions like...Bad start Reimer you're a number 2 is what causes bad goaltending. They each need some rope, don't need to be looking over their shoulder's. Carlyle was right for pulling Reimer tonight, but would be dramatically overreacting if he declared this "battle" over. Bernier should get a couple in a row maybe Avs and Preds.

ShooterMikgaven

Sep 1, 2009
Sarnia, ON
Cool, calm and collected. I don't wanna get carried away but I feel like this guy could be a star by now if it wasn't for him collecting dust behind quick all these years.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Judging from Carlyle's comments tonight, (Makes goalie decisions easier, we had more control when Bernier came in) Bernier may have just stolen the starting job.

wandering goat

Oct 29, 2009
Woodstock, ON
I am very happy with what I see of Bernier so far. He just seems so reliable, and strong in pretty much all aspects of the game. He looks very calm, has good positioning, glove hand, rebound control, side-to-side movement (he does it quickly and doesn't slide out of position) and his puck handling is phenomenal. Don't get me wrong, Reimer can be great, especially positionally where he's quite strong, but he sometimes loses track of the puck, slides out of the net, and doesn't seem like he's as. . . consistent, in that you still sometimes get apprehensive that a mistake will be made as opposed to the puck going in on a good hockey play by the other team. Of course, it's early on in the season, but I am really warming up to Bernier really quickly. I would love to have a goalie that you can just believe in 100% without reservation, which from my point of view we last had in Joseph.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
ive never realized how steady and quick he is, great rebound control, love how he comes out challenges the shooter and knows when to, and to top things off his passing and puck handling is great

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00