Have you become a Bernier believer?

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
Reimer will start on Tuesday. It's almost a given unless Bernier has a spectacular record against Minnesota.

Bernier didn't have his best night + the fact that the Leafs still want this to be a competition means that Reimer gets a chance to redeem himself.

Makes sense to me

Tyler Biggs*

Kudos to Nonis for pulling off the trade for Bernier. He appears to be the real deal. This may turn out to be the best trade the Leafs have made in years.

Toronto robbed the Kings when they got Bernier. Frattin has not done anything with the Kings except skate around.

Last edited by a moderator:

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
That's not the prevailing theme here at all. Just because people think Bernier is better and is the starter does not mean that they also think Reimer is bad. Bernier DOES do things better than Reimer and even the coach says that it's easier to make the decisions on who starts now. Unfortunately for Reimer, he is going to have to play lights out every time he does get into a game or he's going to find is opportunities more and more limited

So what your saying is that Reimer has to be lights out when he plays and Bernier can get away with average performances like last night?

Then why even have Reimer at all? Trade him now while he has good value and forget about having a competition to push both goalies to be better cause the way your talking there's no competition anyway.

I believe that when it's all said and done Bernier will be the one who starts come playoff time but I don't believe for 1 second that Carlyle has turned his back on Reimer as quick as you and some others have... There's a process that Bernier is going to have to go through in beating out Reimer and vise versa starting with average goaltending will lead to the other guy gets the start win or lose... That's how Quick beat out Bernier in LA and that's the PROPER way of running a 1a 1b situation with your goalies. The advantage of having 2 good goalies as appose to one is that you could set a standard of consistency for the goaltenders in that average play is not acceptable when the guy on the bench is capable of being better on any given night.

Win and your in is stupid to go on as we already seen why cause Bernier was great vs Colorado but still lost. This situation run the right way is designed to push both goalies to not have average games if your to expect to get the next start not reward it like giving Bernier the next game after his performance last night.

If Carlyle is telling the truth that he has a 1a 1b situation in goal Reimer should 100% get the next start and it's as simple as that.

Tyler Biggs*

You just knew they would come out of the woodwork to chirp Bernier after a unspectacular effort. They've been in hiding for the last week, and RNH had Franson's stick pinned under his arm so enough with the crying about the shove. You score 5 you should win, no excuse.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
So what your saying is that Reimer has to be lights out when he plays and Bernier can get away with average performances like last night?

Then why even have Reimer at all? Trade him now while he has good value and forget about having a competition to push both goalies to be better cause the way your talking there's no competition anyway.

I believe that when it's all said and done Bernier will be the one who starts come playoff time but I don't believe for 1 second that Carlyle has turned his back on Reimer as quick as you and some others have... There's a process that Bernier is going to have to go through in beating out Reimer and vise versa starting with average goaltending will lead to the other guy gets the start win or lose... That's how Quick beat out Bernier in LA and that's the PROPER way of running a 1a 1b situation with your goalies. The advantage of having 2 good goalies as appose to one is that you could set a standard of consistency for the goaltenders in that average play is not acceptable when the guy on the bench is capable of being better on any given night.

Win and your in is stupid to go on as we already seen why cause Bernier was great vs Colorado but still lost. This situation run the right way is designed to push both goalies to not have average games if your to expect to get the next start not reward it like giving Bernier the next game after his performance last night.

If Carlyle is telling the truth that he has a 1a 1b situation in goal Reimer should 100% get the next start and it's as simple as that.

I don't think Carlyle has secretly made a decision either. I think people are using Carlyle's comments to support their own opinion that Bernier will be the starter even if no one on the team has come out and said so directly.

Also, you're not accurate about the way things unfolded in LA. As Kings fans have explained, Bernier was always the guy that was expected to be the franchise goalie. Bernier spent extra time with the Monarchs because the organization knew that their defense was bad and they didn't want to ruin the confidence of Bernier by making him play behind a porous defence and constantly get lit up because of it. That's where Quick came in. Quick was being used as the stop gap while the team looked for ways to improve their blue line before bringing up Bernier. Quick ended up being a development that no one had seen coming. By the time the team had started to come around with improving their player personnel, Quick was making a huge statement. He had become the most important player on the team that gave the team a chance to win. Took them to the playoffs, and after a coaching change, he led the team to a Cup win and won MVP. Because of the sudden but pleasantly surprising development, Quick was given the opportunity to prove himself and he did just that.

Azura

Nov 16, 2007
I hope to see him bounce back after his shaky start on Saturday. I've been a fan of his since 2007 so I was very excited when the Leafs got him. Aside from his last game, I have been very impressed with his play so far.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Lombardi on nonis. Apparently he (nonis) was the only person really interested, everyone else just was tire kicking. Really surprised Lombardi, the lack of real interest. Said teams seemed turned off by berniers small stature. Also said he almost traded bernier to Toronto at the beginning of last season.

"I give alot of credit to nonis, said Lombardi, a week after he got the gm job in Toronto, he was all over bernier."

Wonder if nonis likes Lombardi letting Reimer know that he's been trying to replace him ever since he began in his tenure as gm for Toronto.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
There was a reporter on twitter today saying that one of the big reasons why the deal went through, was because of Matt Frattin - apparently Lombardi was a big admirer of Frattin and had been talking with the Leafs for about 2 years before the deal went through.

Interesting - I'm a fan of Frattin, but also think he's very much a run-of-the-mill secondary winger that can be replaced. Interesting that Lombardi was willing to give up a quality goaltender for the price that he did.

I think the Leafs REALLY underpaid for Bernier, but moving forward let's see how this plays out.

The way it looks right now - a potential world class goaltender for a career backup & a replaceable 2nd line winger.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
There was a reporter on twitter today saying that one of the big reasons why the deal went through, was because of Matt Frattin - apparently Lombardi was a big admirer of Frattin and had been talking with the Leafs for about 2 years before the deal went through.

Interesting - I'm a fan of Frattin, but also think he's very much a run-of-the-mill secondary winger that can be replaced. Interesting that Lombardi was willing to give up a quality goaltender for the price that he did.

I think the Leafs REALLY underpaid for Bernier, but moving forward let's see how this plays out.

The way it looks right now - a potential world class goaltender for a career backup & a replaceable 2nd line winger.

What do you think they possibly could have gotten for Bernier when he made it clear he wasn't happy behind Quick?

Tyler Biggs*

Whatever the Leafs lack in defense, they certainly make up for in offense. The Leafs can score goals when the game is on the line, and Bernier can make the big saves when the defence slips.

Looks like the Leafs have turned a corner in their franchise no denying that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad