Have you become a Bernier believer?

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Love Reimer, wanted him to hold onto #1 but man has Bernier looked sharp...

Bernier has looked fantastic but the reason why I'm not ready to declare him #1 yet is because I think we should wait it out before deciding. Remember Reimer looked fantastic when he first came into the league because no one knew about him and there was no tape on him, same goes for Bernier and since he'll be playing a lot more games this season, teams are going to start picking up on his tendencies and his weaknesses. Threads like these are just part of the honeymoon phase we have by acquiring him.

Right now I am a firm believer that we have two goalies who can win us games. I like Bernier and I love his play, but I'm saying this as a realist.

kesleaf

Mar 3, 2011
**** jinxes.

This guy is the real deal. Absolute beast. Such a calming presence in net. Doesn't panic no matter what the situation.

Thank god we have this guy. Need to sign him to a 30+ year deal so he retires as a leaf.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Heh, Bernier is the real deal, but I wouldn't get overly excited about his shootout performance. He's a true number 1, definitely not a pretender, but his shootout record isn't a mistake or weird, he is genuinely not a great shootout backstop. He could get better and he is great on breakaways in games, but shootouts have typically been his only weakness in the past. Not that it matters when he is coming up clutch for you guys in the playoffs ;)

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Well, You've seen Bernier play a few times now. You heard us Kings fans telling you how great he is, and that he was just stuck behind Quick. What's your assessment now.

Still think he just played in front of a great D and hasn't proven anything?

Leafs are going to love what he brings and I wish you the best.

Thanks man, I've always been a fan. Hey maybe we can send you lyles.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Heh, Bernier is the real deal, but I wouldn't get overly excited about his shootout performance. He's a true number 1, definitely not a pretender, but his shootout record isn't a mistake or weird, he is genuinely not a great shootout backstop. He could get better and he is great on breakaways in games, but shootouts have typically been his only weakness in the past. Not that it matters when he is coming up clutch for you guys in the playoffs ;)

As was alluded to in tonight's broadcast, any goalie will look bad in shootouts if his teammates can't score.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Before the season started, my best guess was that he'd slowly take the starting job, after a hard battle. Now I can see him taking the starting job quite quickly. He's been excellent so far this season, and was great for the Kings last year too, I think we got a good one!

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

We really didn't lose shoot outs because our goalie was bad at them. I would say Reimer is at least average if not better at stopping shoot outs but our shooters can't score.

Last year on 5 shoot outs, Bozak scored our only goal. It was 1/19 or something ridiculous like that.

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Well, You've seen Bernier play a few times now. You heard us Kings fans telling you how great he is, and that he was just stuck behind Quick. What's your assessment now.

Still think he just played in front of a great D and hasn't proven anything?

Leafs are going to love what he brings and I wish you the best.

My biggest fear as a King fan, once we won the CUP, was that Bernier's days were numbered and there was no way we would get his value back in a deal. Columbus wanted Jack Johnson + Bernier for Carter and Lombardi gave them a #1 instead. Then last year, with Quick coming off back surgery, Bernier was 8-3 and 1.88 GAA and was the reason we made the playoffs...and then I knew he was getting dealt after the season and heard Lombardi was indeed offered the Devils #1 pick...Lombardi turned it down and Lou got Schneider for the 9th overall pick. Lombardi wanted Gardiner in the deal but settled on Frattin, Scrivens, and the #2 pick (13 or 14 draft)
and he also got the $500,000 (?) cap relief that he really wanted.
I know Lombardi liked Frattin a lot and tried to get him a year ago.

Quick > Lundqvist
Bernier > Quick.

Bernier has no weaknesses and is about as flawless as it gets.
His only weakness is he is not great on shootouts. No one is perfect,
but Bernier is one of the top 5 goalies on the planet.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Quick > Lundqvist
Bernier > Quick.

So by this logic Bernier is better than Lundqvist?

That in itself is extremely extremely laughable.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
My biggest fear as a King fan, once we won the CUP, was that Bernier's days were numbered and there was no way we would get his value back in a deal. Columbus wanted Jack Johnson + Bernier for Carter and Lombardi gave them a #1 instead. Then last year, with Quick coming off back surgery, Bernier was 8-3 and 1.88 GAA and was the reason we made the playoffs...and then I knew he was getting dealt after the season and heard Lombardi was indeed offered the Devils #1 pick...Lombardi turned it down and Lou got Schneider for the 9th overall pick. Lombardi wanted Gardiner in the deal but settled on Frattin, Scrivens, and the #2 pick (13 or 14 draft)

Quick > Lundqvist
Bernier > Quick.

While I agree with your statement, not sure if Bernier is better than Quick let alone top 5 goalie in the planet, but he'll get there soon. :nod:

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Awesome but Reimer will rebound again. Long term, Bernier will still become our #1.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Quick > Lundqvist
Bernier > Quick.

I know people are going to rip you for putting him in the top five, but there's something to this.

Honestly, I've never seen a goalie read shooters so well other than Brodeur. I believe Reimer is a legit number 1 goalie, and strongly ahead of guys like Dubnyk and Pavelec, but Bernier looks like he might be in that elite superstar tier.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Quick > Lundqvist
Bernier > Quick.

When you have a goalie like Quick, I don't think you have to worry about losing Bernier (as good as he is/can be).

We'll give you Bernier+ for Quick if you want ;).

KesselLooksLikeRadar*

3 games is not a good sample size to evaluate each goalie. Reimer did not play all that well in his first few games last year, and then he picked it up. I still think we have two good, young goalies both competing for the job. Reimer will be better. This will motivate him. I'm glad they re both on our side!

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
well before this game started I was on #TeamLeafs, now after a 3rd consecutive win I'm now on #TeamLeafs.

Currently Bernier has been the better goalie, so you roll with him imo.

Had faith in both goalies before the season and still have faith in both, 1 bad game by Reimer isn't going to change that.

Kings4thecup

Aug 16, 2010
Sacramento, CA
I know people are going to rip you for putting him in the top five, but there's something to this.

Honestly, I've never seen a goalie read shooters so well other than Brodeur. I believe Reimer is a legit number 1 goalie, and strongly ahead of guys like Dubnyk and Pavelec, but Bernier looks like he might be in that elite superstar tier.

It's funny, but many fans mocked Kings fans for saying how much of a stud he is before he was traded. Many "hasn't proved anything yet" and "his numbers aren't that great". But us fans that were fortunate enough to see him play many times could see what kind of goaltender he is and was going to be.

I like Reimer, but I really don't see how how it's going to be any competition.

It's better if both keep pushing each other for the Leafs, but Bernier will definitely win that battle.

Kibago

Aug 15, 2010
I don't think anyone doubted that he was an overqualified backup goalie because Quick is amazing. but that's not the same thing as "good enough to supplant Reimer." a lot of people don't realize how good Reimer was last year.

so far, it looks really encouraging.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad