Have NHL fans had enough of the shootout?

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
yeah, you're right - the shootout is more exciting than either of them.

You would rather watch free throws (and then 4 or 5 more timeouts) than 3 rounds of shootout? okay...

Not what I said. A football team has to play football to get to field goal range on their last drive in order to have that chance.

A basketball team has to have a foul committed against them to get the chance at the free throw opportunity. Fouls can only be committed during gameplay.

They already give the second point to the shootout winner, so yeah, you can.

Yea while giving the losing team 1 point. So it's only a one point advantage for the winning team over the losing team. So technically an OT win isn't worth as much.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Thanks for your detailed reply.

You say we need to find a winner, but that goes back to my point about manipulating the scores. We need to find a winner because the current system requires it, but a 5 min overtime followed by a draw takes up the same amount of time and ends with a totally natural scoreline instead of a possibly undeserving team coming away with a full 3 points. It's just as logical, maybe even more so than the compromise you talk about.

Also you mention that it doesn't affect the integrity of the game during the season, but there are 3 points being handed out every time there is a shootout even though a team wasn't able to win during regulation/OT which realistically skews the standings no matter how insignificant. You say it isn't good for the playoffs, but that is undermining the importance of the regular season as well. Again, it doesn't need to be compromised like this.

But the majority of fans don't like draws, you're right, and that is of course the NHL's motive to have the shootouts. But there are other ways that would satisfy the sports purists more I think.

Here's the thing - the NHL doesn't need to cater to hardcore hockey fans. Hardcore hockey fans are going to tune in no matter what - shootout, tie, coin flip, mud wrestling to decide, zamboni race, whatever. Hardcore hockey fans, sports purists - don't need to be satisfied. They're the core - they're not going anywhere. What you and I want is irrelevant, because we're going to watch regardless.

What the guy who goes to four games a year, can't name the third line center and just yells "shoooooooooooooooooooooot" whenever the team has the puck in the offensive zone is who the NHL caters to, and it's who the NHL needs to cater to.

Edit: Also, in that vein - the three point system would probably fail in NA, specifically some markets in the USA, for that very reason. US sports are about W-L records - ties are incredibly rare in football and baseball, and non-existant in basketball. If you bring back an OT loss as one point as well as a tie, you have the ol' 48-10-3-6 line to determine standings, which just causes some people to shut off. The casual fan is just more important.

Big Guy

Aug 1, 2013
Exactly right, and that's why I get cranky because the NHL doesn't care about me.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Just going to point out - technically every sport you alternate possession. Impossible for both teams to have possession of the puck/ball/snitch at any given time.

Yea but in football, you relinquish possession after you score. It's the same thing in basketball. You literally have to take the ball away from the opposition in order to score again. Hockey isn't really a possession game like that.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Yea but in football, you relinquish possession after you score. It's the same thing in basketball. You literally have to take the ball away from the opposition in order to score again. Hockey isn't really a possession game like that.

Not a point I really am going to bother to argue further - just a quibble with the choice of language.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
You should tell the league that since they obviously don't see it that way.

Why, because it's taken away in the tiebreaker? Until it's completely eliminated from the game, it's part of the game.

Unless I counted incorrectly, 69 total points have been won in a shootout.

122 points have been earned by teams that LOST the hockey game. They lost and walked away with one more point they entered the game with. That's ridiculous and I don't care if the league wants to phrase it where the tie point will be awarded after regulation. No team that lost should leave with more points.

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
Keep the shootout but get rid of the loser point, you should either win the game or lose the game. I dont see what people have against the shootout. It is infinitely better then a tie and there's no better way to have a guaranteed end to a game, as much as id like to watch endless OT's it is not realistic.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Keep the shootout but get rid of the loser point, you should either win the game or lose the game. I dont see what people have against the shootout. It is infinitely better then a tie and there's no better way to have a guaranteed end to a game, as much as id like to watch endless OT's it is not realistic.

I've seen this a couple of times and I have to clarify. Are you saying that the winner of the shoot out gets 2 pts and the loser gets 0?

If so, that's ludicrous

MadMen88

Oct 19, 2011
How much more exciting would OT be if the loser got 0 points and the winner got 2? The answer: WAY MORE!!!

Get rid of the SO!

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
I've seen this a couple of times and I have to clarify. Are you saying that the winner of the shoot out gets 2 pts and the loser gets 0?

If so, that's ludicrous

Ridiculous how? I am completely fine with getting 0 points if you lose the game. If you dont want to rely on the shootout for the 2 points then better win the game in regulation. We don't need to hold teams hands and give them 1 point for almost winning.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Ridiculous how? I am completely fine with getting 0 points if you lose the game. If you dont want to rely on the shootout for the 2 points then better win the game in regulation. We don't need to hold teams hands and give them 1 point for almost winning.

So you want to throw out the 65 minutes of actual game time played by the TEAMS and award the points soley on a 3 minute skills competition involving 3 players and the goalies from each team? You do realize that teams that are good in the shoot out will simply try to get to the shoot out every night possible, sapping the energy and entertainment from the game.

Sorry but that's crazy.

I'd imagine even most of the tie haters would rather see ties than that proposed scoring system.

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
So you want to throw out the 65 minutes of actual game time played by the TEAMS and award the points soley on a 3 minute skills competition involving 3 players and the goalies from each team? You do realize that teams that are good in the shoot out will simply try to get to the shoot out every night possible, sapping the energy and entertainment from the game.

Sorry but that's crazy.

I'd imagine even most of the tie haters would rather see ties than that proposed scoring system.

Id rather watch a 3 minute tie breaker to give some closure to the game so i didn't just waste watching 65 minutes for a tie game. And unless you can think of a better tie breaker then a shootout? Flip a coin at the end of regulation? I mean im sure they will never go to a 2 pts or 0 system anyways but id prefer it over the participation point.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Id rather watch a 3 minute tie breaker to give some closure to the game so i didn't just waste watching 65 minutes for a tie game. And unless you can think of a better tie breaker then a shootout? Flip a coin at the end of regulation? I mean im sure they will never go to a 2 pts or 0 system anyways but id prefer it over the participation point.

Fair enough, agree to disagree on this one. To each his own.

goawaygary*

When a team wins a shootout, you didn't see a team win the game. The game ended in a tie. This is just a penalty shot derby, and the winner gets 1 extra point. The penalty shot derby is not related at all to the hockey game that happened before. It's just a way to appease morons.

Nynja*

I'd rather the NHL moved to a full 3 point system before anything else.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
When a team wins a shootout, you didn't see a team win the game. The game ended in a tie. This is just a penalty shot derby, and the winner gets 1 extra point. The penalty shot derby is not related at all to the hockey game that happened before. It's just a way to appease morons.

The penalty shot has been apart of hockey for 80 years so how long does it have to be in the game to finally related?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad