Have NHL fans had enough of the shootout?

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I had enough of the shootout from the start. I'd prefer to get rid of it completely, but would be ok with doing 3-on-3 to minimize the chances of games getting to the shootout. I have no problems with ties.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
I'll take shootout over 3v3 any day of the week. What I am sick of is teams getting full points for a shootout win

This I agree with...it's absurd that the winner of a 3 minute skills competition gets the same amount of points as the winner of a 60 minute game.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Like before the shootout when teams played it safe in the third period to ensure they got to OT where they also played it safe to get a point each?

So, you agree then? They're playing it safe now for the guaranteed point so it has no bearing on whether they'll play it safe if ties exist.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
A entire hockey game takes skill so I guess hockey is a skills competition. The only difference is that instead of having multiple players from each team on the ice a shootout has a shooter vs. a goalie and that is still hockey. So very much better then a game ending without a winner.

Hockey is a game of 5 players versus 5 players. A team sport. At every level of hockey the game ends with a team effort, and has for over 100 years. That is not hockey. The picture of the excited Florida fan doesn't surprise me at all because that is the shootouts target audience.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Hockey is a game of 5 players versus 5 players. A team sport. At every level of hockey the game ends with a team effort, and has for over 100 years. That is not hockey. The picture of the excited Florida fan doesn't surprise me at all because that is the shootouts target audience.

And yet I don't hear people talk about hating 4 on 4 overtime so much and I hear people saying they want 3 on 3 overtimes.

Ties suck you play the game to WIN

It is good to have shootout to eliminate ties and help grow the game.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I still like to WATCH shootouts. I just don't think they should be what determines a game after 5 minutes.

I hated ties after games and am not crazy about them in soccer. It's such a flat result. "yay? No one won..."

I'd like a change to be made to the OT session that makes a goal prior to shootouts more likely.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
And yet I don't hear people talk about hating 4 on 4 overtime and hear people saying they want 3 on 3 overtimes.

Ties suck you play the game to WIN

Well of course you play to WIN, but you have to actually earn the win. IMO shootout wins are lesser wins. I'd love to see a system where the regulation wins are worth 3, shootout wins 2. I know it won't happen but it seems a lot more fair than the current system.

I'm not huge on the shootout but not entirely against it. The entertainment value is there but it seems kind of bush league as a ways of awarding points. I'm kind of meh on the whole thing but if the choices are ties or shootout wins=regulation wins, I'll choose ties every time. At least its an honest result. And yes, it is a result.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Well of course you play to WIN, but you have to actually earn the win. IMO shootout wins are lesser wins. I'd love to see a system where the regulation wins are worth 3, shootout wins 2. I know it won't happen but it seems a lot more fair than the current system.

I'm not huge on the shootout but not entirely against it. The entertainment value is there but it seems kind of bush league as a ways of awarding points. I'm kind of meh on the whole thing but if the choices are ties or shootout wins=regulation wins, I'll choose ties every time. At least its an honest result. And yes, it is a result.

Yes a change to the point system would be fine by me.

Before so many teams played for ties if the score was tied late you would get so many ties it was horrible.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Point of order about the original article: I know it was a jokey comment about the Devils pulling the goalie in OT for a shot at winning 2 points, but that would never, ever happen. Maybe it's little-known because it would never happen, but any team pulling a goalie in OT will forfeit the so-called "loser point".

That said, I'm all for getting rid of the shootout. I also hate the asymmetry of some games doling out 3 points, while others give only 2. I'd like to slightly modify the way the AHL does it. Give 3-0 points in regulation. In overtime, give 2-1 points. Make overtime 7 minutes, with half-and-half of 4v4 and 3v3, switching formats at the first whistle after 3 minutes of play. If it's still tied, 1.5 points to everyone, and fans are welcome to come onto the ice to play tiddily winks if they like.

Of course, the shootout won't die. TJ Oshie got a huge endorsement deal from his "success" in Sochi - nevermind that it was a victory that, IIRC, would only have rejiggered standings slightly and didn't help the USA medal anyway. Casual fans understand exactly what's going on during shootouts. It makes great highlight reel shots that even ESPN will show. And weird stuff like WSH/FLA will happen that will generate coverage/interest.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
The Flyers just lost their 10th shootout in a row, dating back to last year. Almost positive we have by far the worst win percentage in the shootout since it's inception, too.

How do you think I feel about the shootout?

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
yup hate it, don't even watch

I know, I know, you think it's because we have Pavs...but that's not it though, shoot outs suck.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Maybe football games should end with a field goal kicking contest, to attract new fans

How often do NFL games fail to have a winner from OT?

IF NFL games had so many games going into overtime and not having a winner I think they would do a kickout because so many people hate seeing so many ties but because ties are very rare in the NFL they just allow ties.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site

IF NFL games had so many games going into overtime and not having a winner I think they would do a kickout because so many people hate seeing so many ties but because ties are very rare in the NFL they just allow ties.

No kidding, 32 teams have played 14 gms each and there's been 1 tie the whole year.

Tonight there were 3 NHL games that went into OT. Surprisingly 2 of them actually had a "real winner".

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'd rather 5 minutes of 4-on-4, 5 minutes of 3-on-3, and then a shootout if it's needed.

Absolutely no ties, though.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Well, everyone has their opinion but I had no problem with the 5 on 5 overtime, and if no one scored the game ended in a tie.

Don't like a manufactured 4 on 4, don't like a game decided by a shootout.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY

They will go the NCAA route before a kickout.

I think they should replace OT with what NCAA football has, since NFL OT sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad