Have NHL fans had enough of the shootout?

Keithsteeth

Nov 10, 2013
The big problem I have with the shootout is that the NHL uses radically different Overtime rules in the regular season and the postseason. It's very strange.

However, it may be the best solution as it probably does help attract more fans. Ties don't bother me, but I could see how a casual fan would be put off by them. (I sat here all this time for a tie?)

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
10 minutes of 4v4. If nobody scores (unlikely) than go to the shootout, sure who cares. There's a reason they don't do that in the playoffs. Has nothing to do with who is executing the game of hockey better.

JesseAtATB

Sep 4, 2014
I think this thread is a good showing of why the shootout hasn't been changed. There are a ton of opinions and some fairly strong support for multiple different options.

There's definitely a misconception that ties are boring, as whether a game ends as a tie or not, you've witnessed the same amount of action throughout it. In my opinion, the reason why ties are unsatisfying is because the fans aren't left with a feeling of satisfaction (a win) or disappointment (a loss), which is what makes sports so enjoyable to watch.

I still like the 3 v 3 in a second OT option, however as people have noted, there's a certain gimmicky feel to that as well.

The best option may be a new point system (option 1 in my article - refer to the first post).

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
10 minutes of 4v4. If nobody scores (unlikely) than go to the shootout, sure who cares. There's a reason they don't do that in the playoffs. Has nothing to do with who is executing the game of hockey better.

PENALTY SHOTS ARE HOCKEY

For the love of pete why do people treat it like there was never anything like it in hockey before?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I like watching the shootout. Hate watching my team in them.

0 wins in the last 10 shootout. That's a lot of points being given to your opponents.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Sick of the shootout, but even worse are full points for shootout wins.

Shootout win should be 1 point only. Loser gets 0 always.

Car2014

Dec 5, 2014
Germany
Also being a major football fan, I can tell you ties are boring.
On Wednesday, the German Bundesliga (soccer) match between Frankfurt and Berlin ended 4-4, with Frankfurt being 0-3 and 2-4 down and scoring both goals in the last minute. Everyone said it was a hell of a match. On the same day, Dortmund and Wolfsburg drew 2-2, again that was a very entertaining match. We've had several high-scoring draws this season with quite some incredible comebacks. A 0-0 usually is boring, a 4-4 certainly is not. A 1-0 is unlikely to offer the same sort of entertainment.

Make wins worth it. 3 points for a win, 1 each for a tie. Ties are so much better than shootouts. A well earned tie is a satisfying result for an underdog. May as well have the head coaches thumb wrestle at center ice. The anything but ties attitude just baffles me, and the current point system is an abomination.

I couldn't agree more.

Depending on how it went, a draw may feel like a victory, a loss, or an ok result for both sides.

I've yet to see people react strongly to the result of the SO. That's different with penalty kicks in soccer.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
The big problem I have with the shootout is that the NHL uses radically different Overtime rules in the regular season and the postseason. It's very strange.

However, it may be the best solution as it probably does help attract more fans. Ties don't bother me, but I could see how a casual fan would be put off by them. (I sat here all this time for a tie?)

The problem with ties is the way OT is played.
People seem to have a short memory.
The reason for the four on four and SO was because of how teams played no offense in OT in the past. Just dump the puck in the zone. Very boring hockey for any fan to watch.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
The shootout is terrible.

I actually didn't mind the ties. Fine way to end a game in my eyes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad