Have NHL fans had enough of the shootout?

JesseAtATB

Sep 4, 2014
I personally would love to see the NHL move away from the shootout. In the link below I go into a little more detail (stats/suggestions) but I'm really curious what everyone else thinks.

So far most of the feedback I've gotten from friends and social media was from people who were in favor of replacing the shootout, but I'm not sure if that's because that side of the debate is more outspoken.

Thoughts?

http://alongtheboards.com/2014/12/nhl-fans-enough-shootout/

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Im fine with the shootout, i like it actually.

hell of alot better than i Tie. that **** used to leave a bad taste in my mouth back in the day, spend 3 hours of your life to watch a "Tie"

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
Im fine with the shootout, i like it actually.

hell of alot better than i Tie. that **** used to leave a bad taste in my mouth back in the day, spend 3 hours of your life to watch a "Tie"

You must really hate soccer then. It's not a lost cause when both teams are well deserving of a tie, especially when a skills competition can decide a W or an L. Face it, soccer has the best points system in the world and allows the best teams to to show their the best on a table. A W has to be well deserved, you can't just luck into it.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Gimmi a tie over a gimmic any day of the week.

I'd rather then sit at center ice and play tiddly winks than tie.

I actually like the shootout, but wouldnt be upset if they extend OT.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I bet most Devils and Wings fans will say yes.

I also say yes.

The shootout should go.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
I'd rather then sit at center ice and play tiddly winks than tie.

I actually like the shootout, but wouldnt be upset if they extend OT.

I rather you sit at center ice and play tiddly winks while the teams leave the ice in a tie.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Extend OT to 10 minutes of 4-on-4. For sure you will see very few shootouts deciding games. But for sure I don't want them to go back to ties. If you want less shootouts then 10 minutes of 4-on-4 should do the trick.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Necessary evil. I hate the idea of ties. I'd prefer an extended OT though to make it a lot more rare.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
Best quite i read .A glorified skill competition to decide the outcome of a hockey game.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I rather you sit at center ice and play tiddly winks while the teams leave the ice in a tie.

Well fortunately I will continue getting what I want for the foreseeable future and you'll be crying about it on HF. :nod:

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Shootouts >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ties

FancyMediumCooter.gif

Obviously their are fans that enjoy the shootout.

If it was any good, they would use it in the playoffs...

NHL playoffs are too important for the shootout a regular season game is not. Can't have regular season games go on and on and on into overtime until someone scores.

Gimmi a tie over a gimmic any day of the week.

Shootouts are not a gimmick they are like teams having multiple penalty shots to see who wins when all else fails and last time I checked penalty shots are hockey.

Best quite i read .A glorified skill competition to decide the outcome of a hockey game.

Ending a hockey game with a skills competition has always been stupid. May as well have races around the ice for the win.

A entire hockey game takes skill so I guess hockey is a skills competition. The only difference is that instead of having multiple players from each team on the ice a shootout has a shooter vs. a goalie and that is still hockey. So very much better then a game ending without a winner.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Necessary evil. I hate the idea of ties. I'd prefer an extended OT though to make it a lot more rare.

Me too. I'd rather they go to a 10 min 4 on 4, then 10 min 3 on 3 then shootout.

Imo, ties are just a boring outcome. I'd rather watch an ending to a game that results in a victor, rather than watch teams not try to lose and settle for a tie.

Living in Queens for ten years and being around soccer fiends I noticed that most of them didn't care for ties either. Same discussion we're having here, they'd like finality but aren't a fan of shootouts.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Me too. I'd rather they go to a 10 min 4 on 4, then 10 min 3 on 3 then shootout.

Imo, ties are just a boring outcome. I'd rather watch an ending to a game that results in a victor, rather than watch teams not try to lose and settle for a tie.

Living in Queens for ten years and being around soccer fiends I noticed that most of them didn't care for ties either. Same discussion we're having here, they'd like finality but aren't a fan of shootouts.

I agree completely hate seeing play not to lose.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013

Well there's some flawed reasoning...So many games now feature teams playing it safe in the third to ensure they get the single point and a shot at the bonus point.

HOLDITHERE*

Shootouts >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ties

FancyMediumCooter.gif

Obviously their are fans that enjoy the shootout.

NHL playoffs are too important for the shootout a regular season game is not. Can't have regular season games go on and on and on into overtime until someone scores.

Shootouts are not a gimmick they are like teams having multiple penalty shots to see who wins when all else fails and last time I checked penalty shots are hockey.

A entire hockey game takes skill so I guess hockey is a skills competition. The only difference is that instead of having multiple players from each team on the ice a shootout has a shooter vs. a goalie and that is still hockey. So very much better then a game ending without a winner.

I love this guy. Agree on all points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad