Have NHL fans had enough of the shootout?

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
I'm mostly indifferent towards the shootout. I just don't want shootout wins worth the same regulation wins.

Longer 4v4 OT needs to happen ASAP. Way more exciting than a shootout.

Big Guy

Aug 1, 2013
Bring back the draw and implement a 3-1 point system.

If the game deserves a draw then it should end in a draw. No need to manufacture a win for the sake of it, that's something that a true fan should be able to understand and agree with.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Bring back the draw and implement a 3-1 point system.

If the game deserves a draw then it should end in a draw. No need to manufacture a win for the sake of it, that's something that a true fan should be able to understand and agree with.

********. I despise ties. I have 11k posts on a hockey message board in a three year-span, and watch over 100 hockey games a year easily - but since I hate ties, I'm not a true fan? Pssshhhhhh.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Sometimes they do. A last second field goal is essentially 1 person having the game on his foot.

Have you ever seen free throws with under 15 seconds to play to determine a winner?

Both of these scenarios aren't comparable to the shootout. You don't see both teams exchanging opportunities in those two scenarios. It's akin to a penalty shot in the final seconds of a game.

Big Guy

Aug 1, 2013
********. I despise ties. I have 11k posts on a hockey message board in a three year-span, and watch over 100 hockey games a year easily - but since I hate ties, I'm not a true fan? Pssshhhhhh.

Regardless of the sport a game should not have a winner be manufactured after a set period of time. That's manipulating the outcome with complete disregard for the previous 60 mins or however long.

I'm saying as a fan of sports you should be all for integrity of the game and scoreline, no?

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Both of these scenarios aren't comparable to the shootout. You don't see both teams exchanging opportunities in those two scenarios. It's akin to a penalty shot in the final seconds of a game.

College football's OT is... simlar-ish? Each team gets the ball at the 30 yard line. It's not sudden death, either. They score 7, you get your chance. If you score seven? Start over and do it again.

RIP Boogaard

Dec 3, 2013
People that don't mind ties are people that don't go to the games. I understand wanting a different way to determine a winner, but I'd rather they flip a coin at center ice than leave the rink with a tie.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Regardless of the sport a game should not have a winner be manufactured after a set period of time. That's manipulating the outcome with complete disregard for the previous 60 mins or however long.

I'm saying as a fan of sports you should be all for integrity of the game and scoreline, no?

Regular season shootouts don't negatively effect the integrity of the game. If a Cup was decided on shootouts - that's something. But they're not - postseason gets continuous OT to determine who the better team is on a given night. Shootouts are a compromise realizing that over an 82 game schedule, with travel and teams not playing in the same circumstances on a given night (back to backs v. rested, etc.), we need to find a winner, and this is a way to do it. Is it perfect? No, but it's something.

Most fans don't like ties. Ties suck, and they create negative incentives toward a) play in OT, and even play in regulation. Shootouts ameliorate that somewhat. I'd prefer a longer OT to have less shootouts, but since continuous OT just simply isn't happening, shootouts are good enough.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity

yeah, you're right - the shootout is more exciting than either of them.

You would rather watch free throws (and then 4 or 5 more timeouts) than 3 rounds of shootout? okay...

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
College football's OT is... simlar-ish? Each team gets the ball at the 30 yard line. It's not sudden death, either. They score 7, you get your chance. If you score seven? Start over and do it again.

Well football is a sport where you alternate possession. And actual football is being played in OT. I actually prefer college football OT over NFL OT.

bhawks1399*

I like the shootout a lot just because of the excitement and wondering what the guys will do next

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Well football is a sport where you alternate possession. And actual football is being played in OT. I actually prefer college football OT over NFL OT.

Just going to point out - technically every sport you alternate possession. Impossible for both teams to have possession of the puck/ball/snitch at any given time.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity

In the World Series, you have American League pitchers batting in National League parks. Something they have not done for the ENTIRE season! In the most important games of the season. !!

I doubt that baseball fans whine as much about that as some hockey fans whine about the SO.

Remember, after OT, you're free to turn off your tv or walk out of the arena. ;)

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
People that don't mind ties are people that don't go to the games. I understand wanting a different way to determine a winner, but I'd rather they flip a coin at center ice than leave the rink with a tie.

Lol, what?

I've been to plenty of games and I don't mind ties

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
In the World Series, you have American League pitchers batting in National League parks. Something they have not done for the ENTIRE season! In the most important games of the season. !!

I doubt that baseball fans whine as much about that as some hockey fans whine about the SO.

Remember, after OT, you're free to turn off your tv or walk out of the arena. ;)

Home field in baseball is decided by the damn all-star game. The two leagues play by an incredibly significant different rule (NL pitchers have to bat, AL DH), and in interleague games the teams have to play by the home rule. You have pitchers in the AL who have maybe had 6 career at bats forced to hit in the World Series.

Talk about unfair. (DH rule is stupid though and should be abolished)

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
yes, the shootout ****ing sucks. I dont know why people hate the idea of a tie so badly. Feels like more of a waste of time playing 60 minutes of regular 5on5 hockey to have it decided by a skills comp at the end.

Big Guy

Aug 1, 2013
Regular season shootouts don't negatively effect the integrity of the game. If a Cup was decided on shootouts - that's something. But they're not - postseason gets continuous OT to determine who the better team is on a given night. Shootouts are a compromise realizing that over an 82 game schedule, with travel and teams not playing in the same circumstances on a given night (back to backs v. rested, etc.), we need to find a winner, and this is a way to do it. Is it perfect? No, but it's something.

Most fans don't like ties. Ties suck, and they create negative incentives toward a) play in OT, and even play in regulation. Shootouts ameliorate that somewhat. I'd prefer a longer OT to have less shootouts, but since continuous OT just simply isn't happening, shootouts are good enough.

Thanks for your detailed reply.

You say we need to find a winner, but that goes back to my point about manipulating the scores. We need to find a winner because the current system requires it, but a 5 min overtime followed by a draw takes up the same amount of time and ends with a totally natural scoreline instead of a possibly undeserving team coming away with a full 2 points. It's just as logical, maybe even more so than the compromise you talk about.

Also you mention that it doesn't affect the integrity of the game during the season, but there are 2 points being handed out every time there is a shootout even though a team wasn't able to win during regulation/OT which realistically skews the standings no matter how insignificant. You say it isn't good for the playoffs, but that is undermining the importance of the regular season as well. Again, it doesn't need to be compromised like this.

But the majority of fans don't like draws, you're right, and that is of course the NHL's motive to have the shootouts. But there are other ways that would satisfy the sports purists more I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad