Confirmed with Link: Haula, Wallmark, Priskie & Luostarinen for Trocheck; 2021 5th round pick to VGK

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Few years ago Flo fans wanted to see Tro get the C, he was described as heart of the team type of player.

He provides anywhere from 50 to 70 points and kills penalties.

The offense has seen quite the turnaround.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I’m actually getting increasingly pumped we have Tro, but so much of this rides on him getting his shit together.

I really like that it defines the centers better. Haula has been up and down, and apparently is a dick. Wally never really defined himself for a role. Trocheck is definitely a center playing his position and a threat to move up the lineup if he improves. He may force Rod to play Staal less. He’s a righty for both the pp and for draws - which we’ve lacked since Lindy was traded. We now have three righties overall, still short but absolutely an improvement since all three can be on the pp.

Sounds like Martinook is now fourth center though. I’m torn there. He’s had a rough year, but this may be an ideal position for him. I just liked the idea of Bishop getting the fourth line for awhile. Is Marty a very good center? I’d someone responds that it doesn’t really matter I would disagree a bit. We need a solid fourth line. I know he can pressure and hit, it there’s some smarts to being a center that aren’t easy to fake. I know he’s played a center a bit for us before but I’ve never been convinced it’s his bag.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I actually thought Haula had turned a corner a few weeks ago, not so much on the scoresheet but he seemed to be more in tune with his teammates. But I guess they thought differently, still kind of surprised though as I figured they would do the Michael Ferland thing and just ride the storm out.

I'm sad Wallmark is leaving. Before Rod took over as coach I wouldn't have been upset but he turned into a good player under him.

Never really got a feel for Luostarinen.

Overall decent trade I suppose. Maybe a little overpayment, but nothing earth-shattering.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I really like this trade, maybe most of all even though we needed the two dmen more at this juncture. I can see how it might end up not working out, but I have a good feeling about it.

For the players we gave away, not that I wanted to move all these pieces, but not a single one hurt:

Haula: If he hadn't gotten knocked out of the lineup, he may still be clicking, but he never regained his mojo and it may not be the worst thing for him to move on from this area after his tragedy.
Wallmark: I like Wallmark and his ability to move up and down a bit. He was huge for us last year filling in with Staal down. But he's a 3rd liner at best that I was already predicting was going to get overpaid (for his role) on his next contract, so no harm in moving him now for an upgrade. I think he was heading for a Riley Nash pricing us out territory. We have options going forward to replace him for sure.
Priskie: It's a bummer to move another guy this quick after signing, and I think he'll make the NHL as a 4-6 dman, but the acquisition of Keane means this doesn't hurt in the slightest.
Eetu: His name is hard to spell, so good riddance. Seriously, I think he'll be another Wallmark type in that he might be a 3/4C, but we have a lot of guys that can fill that role. I'm still hoping he'll make good since a few people were so sour on him at the time of his pick in spite of never having seen him, but he doesn't hurt to lose at all.

If Trocheck stays what he's been recently, this trade is perfectly fine for us, and gives us a solid 2C and a righty to boot. If he bounces all the way back, it's a steal. I agree with Kev, that guys often take a long time to fully come back, and the best is likely to come in the next couple of years if we stick it out with him. He may not be what he was at his peak the other year, but I think he'll fit in pretty nicely and on a reasonable contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad