Confirmed with Link: Haula, Wallmark, Priskie & Luostarinen for Trocheck; 2021 5th round pick to VGK

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Vincent Trocheck
by Matt Karash | Feb 24, 2020 | Canes Chronicle, On The Beat
Vincent Trocheck is the long-needed C3 who can drive offense and balance the Hurricanes lines with Jordan Staal’s scoring-lite line in the middle. Trocheck is a bit undersized but is the type of playmaking center who plays with the puck on his stick and makes offense happen for himself and more so his line mates. He posted a massive 75 points in 2017-18 including 44 assists. In 2018-19 and 2019-20, he has scored at a solid 55ish-point pace.
There are no guarantees obviously, but in Trocheck the Hurricanes have added the type of player that has the potential to help them take the next step in terms of truly being three lines deep and creating match up problems past the top line. Of players currently in the system, I view only Martin Necas as a potential for that role. But Necas struggled as a center last year and has settled in and looks good as wing. So both the viability and the schedule for moving Necas to center while promising are incredibly uncertain especially in terms of timing. As a player with two additional years of contract term, Trocheck is not a short-term fix but rather a longer-term upgrade who could serve as a bridge to Martin Necas (or not) on a timeline that is not forced/rushed.
Hurricanes acquire center Vincent Trocheck from Florida for Lucas Wallmark, Erik Haula, Chase Priskie and Eetu Luostarinen | Canes & Coffee

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
CANES ACQUIRE VINCENT TROCHECK FROM FLORIDA
Carolina sends Haula, Wallmark, Luostarinen and Priskie to Panthers
Don Waddell,
President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has acquired center Vincent Trocheck from the Florida Panthers in exchange for forwards Erik Haula, Lucas Wallmark and Eetu Luostarinen and defenseman Chase Priskie.
“Vincent brings elements of skill and competitiveness that fit the mold of the style we want to play,” said Waddell. “He’s a right-handed center who is excellent in the face-off circle. With two years left on his contract after this one, this fills a need for our roster for this year and moving forward.”
Trocheck, 26, is in his seventh NHL season and has netted 10 goals and added 26 assists (36 points) in 55 games. The Pittsburgh native is sixth among Panthers skaters in assists, seventh in scoring and third in face-off percentage (52.3%). Florida’s third-round pick (64thoverall) in the 2011 NHL Draft, Trocheck (5’10”, 183 lbs.) has appeared in 420 career NHL games with Florida, totaling 111 goals and 171 assists (282 points) and appearing in the 2017 NHL All-Star Game in Los Angeles. Trocheck has represented the United States at two major international competitions, winning gold at the 2013 World Junior Championship and participating in the 2014 IIHF World Championship. He also played for Team North America at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey. Prior to turning professional, Trocheck led the Ontario Hockey League in scoring with 109 points (50g, 59a) in 63 games with Saginaw and Plymouth in 2012-13, winning the Red Tilson Trophy as the OHL’s most outstanding player.​

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Initial reaction was that we added one piece too many, especially for someone whose injury has really hampered him

But since he's still got length on his contract, and losing Haula appears to be addition by subtraction, I'm OK with it.

I'll miss Wally though. He seemed like the ideal RBA player.

This is where I was at and/or maybe still be at....Haula wasn't re-signing and it was clear he'd fallen off a notch or two. Priskie was a fine AHLer, but given the Kaskie and Keane moves, I think the organization even had its doubts about his long term future. Wallmark stings. He was good at what ever he was asked to do...not spectacular, but just solid and a successful team needs that kind of guy. Luostarinen was the guy you'd replace Wallmark with if you traded him. :D

In the end, however, Wallmark we just going to get too expensive over time. I pegged him as an eventual 35-40 point guy on a team that won't be able to pay those types their true worth. He was going to price himself out of a spot on the roster regardless.

i think we're going to pressure jack drury into coming out if we can at the conclusion of his season and david cotton should be on the way as well. that's a lot of depth down the middle coming into the system. i think it made eetu a bit expendable.

This is how I feel as well. I think Drury is in Charlotte next year. This was a message to the NCAA guys that there will be room for you in the organization. However, I believe the Cotton will see more time at wing.

This would be the one area where this move would make sense. Cotton has a pretty nice upside and two-way game in his own right and Drury is like a higher upside version of Eetu. If we are convinced we'll be able to get Cotton under contract after the season making room for him as the AHL 1 / NHL 4 makes sense (though I think that goes to Bishop).

I think Bishop gets called up fairly quickly unless another move is made. I'm not sure Marty is 100% yet and they'll need him for a game or two if that's the case.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Imagine Dzingel, Trocheck and Necas on same line. Worst D line ever.

Doesn't play body, useless on the defense, not good forechecker. He will be gone after 1 season. Not good fit.

Reactions: zman77

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
The Hurricanes wanted to pick up players with term on their contract
By Jake Lerch Updated Feb 24, 2020, 11:24am EST

The Carolina Hurricanes got started early on deadline day, acquiring center Vincent Trocheckfrom the Florida Panthers. In exchange for Trocheck, the Panthers will receive Erik Haula and Lucas Wallmark, plus prospects Chase Priskie and Eetu Luostarinen.
Trocheck has ten goals and 26 assists this season and is a minus-3. The 26-year-old native of Pittsburgh has two full years remaining on a contract with an AAV of $4.75m, plus the remainder of this season. He will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the 2021-22 season.
Trocheck, a third-round draft pick by Florida in 2011 (64th overall), has played all seven years of his NHL career in South Florida. In 2017, he represented the Panthers in the All-Star game. He went on the following year to score a career-high 31 goals in the 2017-18 season.
Trocheck should bring some balance to the Canes ranks of centers; he’s a right-shooting center with a 52.3% faceoff win percentage. He also replenishes the Canes’ ranks of former Plymouth Whalers, having spent part of his final junior season alongside new teammate Alex Nedeljkovic.
The newest Hurricane seems likely to slot into Haula’s now-vacated spot between Nino Niederreiter and Martin Necas, at least to start. Jordan Martinook will likely slide to center the fourth line with Justin Williams and Brock McGinn. Trocheck will speak to the media on a conference call at 1:00. The release from the team is below.
Hurricanes acquire Vincent Trocheck from Panthers for Haula, Wallmark

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
So, I'll read through the thread in a bit, and maybe add some more thoughts, but my first impression of this trade is very positive. It's the mythical 4 quarters for a dollar trade that I mock people on the trade board when they propose. We traded some useful players, and some promising prospects, but we got the best player in the deal, and we got him with term and a reasonable cap hit. Wallmark is a useful utility guy for any team, Haula has the talent and his game could still recover, but his contract is expiring and he's been playing poorly for months. Priskie and Lustu are good prospects, but they're still prospects. In return, we get the true 2C we've been desperately needing, and he's a RHer to boot. And he's said to be a very good presence in the room.

Seriously, I love this deal. A hockey deal that improves our team instantly. All hail the collective.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
This is what CapFriendly is saying we have remaining:

CURRENT CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $2,690,213

Also friendly reminder we're still paying Semin 2.33m per year until the end of next year

Reactions: Sigurd and cptjeff

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I was just coming to address this. I think Wally had to go to make the money work. We needed to add another roster player and he's the only one who makes sense.
We had about $5 million in pro-rated cap room before the trade, so he didn't need to go just for money with Haula heading out. Wallmark is likely the key piece for Florida- a good defensive center with a long period of team control remaining and some offensive upside. Haula is a rental, and the prospects, while decent, are a couple spins at the roulette wheel. Wallmark is the one guy who's guaranteed be on that NHL roster locking down the 3rd or 4th line for a while.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So that's our 2021 5th gone to Vegas, as per the conditions in the Haula trade.

2021 conditional 5th round pick* (CAR)
*Conditions: Vegas receives the 2021 5th round draft pick if Haula is on the Hurricanes' roster past the 2019-20 season, and/or if Carolina trades Haula for one of the following: a player, multiple draft picks, or a draft pick in rounds 1 to 5. If no condition is met, no pick will be transferred.

Result: Condition met. Vegas receives the 2021 5th round pick

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
If Trochek can regain his pre-injury form at all, he can bump Staal to 3C where he belongs, assuming Necas stays on the wing for the time being(or Aho goes back to wing when Necas explodes). I like the deal. It came at a cost, but good players do.

Reactions: zman77

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Change the title of this thread to include a 5th round draft pick to VGK.

Trocheck better earn that $6.25M paycheck two years from now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lempo and zman77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad