Confirmed with Link: Haula, Wallmark, Priskie & Luostarinen for Trocheck; 2021 5th round pick to VGK

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I personally think it’s time to break up Teravainen and Aho. I’d like to see Teravainen with Trocheck and Williams moved up to play with Aho. Trocheck with Necas and whoever else has looked awful. Time for something else.
I'd be interested in something like that at some point, but I don't think I would after today. The new Staal line has been solid for two games and SAT looked fairly dangerous again after stagnating before being broken up recently. Two lines that can get something done is more than we've had in a while even if it's only a couple games. Might have to leave the other lines to figure it out for now.

Reactions: cptjeff

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I agree, I would’ve rather had just one of he or Luo in there or have added a pick but it’s hard to imagine the job Wally would’ve had once Trocheck was here. He’s too good to be the fourth line guy.

The real issue to me is Staal. His contract and now his coach dictate he isn’t going anywhere. A three man unit of Aho/Trocheck/Wally would’ve worked for me.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I've been so far past the edge I can't even see it without binoculars or a telescope or something
professor_brothers_crossroads.png

I was at a crossroads in my life- but I brought my 'nocs. No biggie

Reactions: poobags

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Just noticed J Staal’s minutes today, 13:30. He had 16:20 against the Isles. Trocheck had 15:37 of ice time today and 13:39 yesterday. Aho is routinely getting over 20mins.

Having another C in Trocheck to partner in 13-17mins a night behind Aho is going to be huge I think to keeping Staal fresh and effective. He had beast mode activated today.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
What we’ve needed for a couple of years now was an effective second center. Having one that’s clearly better offensively than Staal yet defensively strong enough to please Rod is such a coup for us. Staal has made it easier by really drying out offensively overall, leaving Rod almost no choice but I can’t say how happy I am to see Staal in the only role I think he’s effective. He can be the best third center in the league. He can’t be a good second center.

He’s responding to it and it’s pretty awesome. He can feast on third line matchups that can’t out grind him, especially with the two he’s out there with. Staal and Willy didn’t work the first time around under Peters imo for this exact reason. Staal was already a third liner then.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
What we’ve needed for a couple of years now was an effective second center. Having one that’s clearly better offensively than Staal yet defensively strong enough to please Rod is such a coup for us. Staal has made it easier by really drying out offensively overall, leaving Rod almost no choice but I can’t say how happy I am to see Staal in the only role I think he’s effective. He can be the best third center in the league. He can’t be a good second center.

He’s responding to it and it’s pretty awesome. He can feast on third line matchups that can’t out grind him, especially with the two he’s out there with. Staal and Willy didn’t work the first time around under Peters imo for this exact reason. Staal was already a third liner then.

This is what having an excellent prospect development team does for the big club. Wallmark, Priskie, and Luostarinen are all guys that well overperformed the draft slots that they were originally drafted in, particularly Wallmark. I don't think that in normal circumstances, that Haula, a 2nd, a 5th, and a College UFA signing would net Trocheck in a trade, but their outstanding performance in Charlotte (and Carolina, in Wallmark's case) caused a team like Florida to covet them more than prospects of their initial rank typically get.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
This is what having an excellent prospect development team does for the big club. Wallmark, Priskie, and Luostarinen are all guys that well overperformed the draft slots that they were originally drafted in, particularly Wallmark. I don't think that in normal circumstances, that Haula, a 2nd, a 5th, and a College UFA signing would net Trocheck in a trade, but their outstanding performance in Charlotte (and Carolina, in Wallmark's case) caused a team like Florida to covet them more than prospects of their initial rank typically get.

I would like to say excellent prospect recognization and development team, because a big part of it is the pre-draft and pre-trade scouting that finds the gems with potential in the rough who are then brought in for development.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
With Wallmark getting waived today, I thought I’d give this a bump.

As per usual, some good, and not so good taeks, in here.

This is pretty much how I see it as well.

My only reservations about this is that we gave up all those assets to get him. Not that I think any of those assets individually were going to really make a meaningful impact to this team down the line, it just feels like a lot to give up for one player who isn't a bonafide 1st liner. But then again, he routinely gets 50 points a season, and his current pace, under which he supposedly sucks, would put him at or near the top of our team right now. And he's got 2 more years under contract at under $5m per year.

Its very likely he'll be centering the Necas line going forward. Those two could put up a ton of points together.

This one was fairly prescient.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Haula wasn’t re-signing. Priskie was irrelevant now with Keane, McKeown, and Kaski all in the system. Luostarinen is fine and might be a 3C someday or might really not. Wallmark I’m sad about losing because I think he’s a very good player but I get it.

The return seems like a lot when you look at the amount of players involved, but has the potential to be really nothing but Wallmark as far as future assets of value.

Trocheck also shoots right, which should help lineup balance and especially the PP.

Crushed it.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
This trade reminds me of franchise mode in the NHL games. Take a bunch of guys that roster construction-wise don’t have a place anymore in your system, keep adding them to the trade screen until the “value” bar is fairly high, and cut the dead weight for something of higher value.

Oh just kidding with this one I really crushed it.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I really like this trade, maybe most of all even though we needed the two dmen more at this juncture. I can see how it might end up not working out, but I have a good feeling about it.

For the players we gave away, not that I wanted to move all these pieces, but not a single one hurt:

Haula: If he hadn't gotten knocked out of the lineup, he may still be clicking, but he never regained his mojo and it may not be the worst thing for him to move on from this area after his tragedy.
Wallmark: I like Wallmark and his ability to move up and down a bit. He was huge for us last year filling in with Staal down. But he's a 3rd liner at best that I was already predicting was going to get overpaid (for his role) on his next contract, so no harm in moving him now for an upgrade. I think he was heading for a Riley Nash pricing us out territory. We have options going forward to replace him for sure.
Priskie: It's a bummer to move another guy this quick after signing, and I think he'll make the NHL as a 4-6 dman, but the acquisition of Keane means this doesn't hurt in the slightest.
Eetu: His name is hard to spell, so good riddance. Seriously, I think he'll be another Wallmark type in that he might be a 3/4C, but we have a lot of guys that can fill that role. I'm still hoping he'll make good since a few people were so sour on him at the time of his pick in spite of never having seen him, but he doesn't hurt to lose at all.

If Trocheck stays what he's been recently, this trade is perfectly fine for us, and gives us a solid 2C and a righty to boot. If he bounces all the way back, it's a steal. I agree with Kev, that guys often take a long time to fully come back, and the best is likely to come in the next couple of years if we stick it out with him. He may not be what he was at his peak the other year, but I think he'll fit in pretty nicely and on a reasonable contract.
Well, if we're just patting ourselves on the back, I think I did okay too.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I'll do you one better. I'll pat myself on the back by quoting a post in which I also patted myself on the back.

Haula had 5 points in the 20 games between Jan. 1 and the deadline. It most likely wasn't a question of difficulty of coming to terms, but whether an extension was warranted at all.

This was a no-brainer gamble. Nothing in that trade really hurt to lose. An impending UFA, a fringe 3C that may not have fit with the salary structure moving forward and a couple B-prospects makes this low risk, high reward. Even if Trocheck is a bust here, it was the right move. I say this as someone that doesn't think this management group is smarter than everyone else; I was one of the few that expressed reservations about effectively swapping Faulk with Gardiner.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Remember when Dorion justified the Karlsson return by essentially saying “we got 6 things”?

I’m trying not to be sad about 4 things and instead assess how this actually impacts a) the roster and b) organizational depth, and the answers are a) by adding a legit top 6 center and b) not much.
You crushed the Trocheck trade analysis .... but then you took a big dump with your Karlsson observations.
It’s tied 1-1.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I like this. Haula clearly wanted out and is a UFA, Wallmark is solid, but not spectacular bottom sixer (but replaceable), Priskie probably wasn’t going to get much shot here. Like Bleed. I had some higher hope for Luostarinen so he’s the one I hate losing the most.

s side benefit is this gets rid of the rotating scratch.

big question is which Tocheck do we get?

My contribution. Looks like Luostarinen is the best player that came from Carolina in the deal.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I think you could make the argument that the Karlsson return was disappointing regardless of how he's playing now.

Balcers returning via waivers to San Jose and producing the way that he has helps the outcome quite a bit, but yeah...that one horribad season last year really hurt the Sharks from an asset management POV. Although Goodrow did return the #31 pick and the Sharks are very good at finding talent in the lower rounds, they could've legitimately had Stutzle if they didn't give up a second 1st.

Reactions: zman77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad