Player Discussion: Hattrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Maurice needs to play Laine with Scheif while spreading this talented roster out better.

Dadonov Scheif Laine 18.425m
KC Wheeler Apples 16.4m
Harkins Roslo Ehlers 9m
Copper Lowry Weise 6.5m
MP 4.125m

JMo- DeMelo 9.25m
Dillon/Slamberg- Poink 6.7m
Slamberg/Dillon-Poolman 1.7m
Boolow Niku 1.8m

Helle LB 7.2m

81.1m

It would be nice if the Sens took MP and Niku for a 5th rounder or something.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Get him to waive the NTC.

Send him back to Minnesota where he belongs.
Getting a player to waive a NMC would take a hand picked location. The team acquiring him would know this and offer up pennies on the dollar. This would be silly for a guy who is still a top 6 winger and can plug better than anyone else on the team to the #2 C role when needed.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Getting a player to waive a NMC would take a hand picked location. The team acquiring him would know this and offer up pennies on the dollar. This would be silly for a guy who is still a top 6 winger and can plug better than anyone else on the team to the #2 C role when needed.

Yeah, the only way Wheeler is gone is if he is the one who facilitates the trade by asking out and telling management where he would like to go to.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think 9 mil a year for 8 years. 8.5 mil for 7 years. And 8 mil for 6 years. All ballpark. But very close.
And what would be your approach if Laine insists on $10+M for 8 or 7 years, and $9.5+M for 6? Would you just give him that?

Remember, he's going to get a minimum of $7.5M for 1 year after this season.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
And what would be your approach if Laine insists on $10+M for 8 or 7 years, and $9.5+M for 6? Would you just give him that?

Well I would be thankful there’s one more season to find out what he’s worth.

I for one don’t think laine will ask for anything ridiculous. Any acting out from him was reactionary to how he was feeling about his deployment. Keep him on the first line all year even if little comes back like he earned last year.

If he scores 40 and improves his defensive play even more he is worth 10 a year and if Che y won’t give it to him someone else will.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

Lets say he do asked that.
last 3 years he would be 30-32 yrs old.

What was the going rate for goal scorers 8 years ago?

Probably cap is flat the next 2 yrs Laine is tied up to 1 more year. What would be the cap estimated for that back end of that contract?

Its not like this is wheeler contract or petroangelo contract or those other ufa contracts that the back end is at the mid to late 30s of the player.

You will get the bulk of this contract at the prime years of Laine. Which better to pay.
If there is this that you need to move him then. I believe it is possible to move his contract still.

But doing nothing and being scared to pay someone because its money you believe he will not be worth it. Then Jets will just be forever like this. There are gambles you Hve to take.

But i believe Laine will sign for less than 10M.

If he do ask for 9.0-9.5M 7-8 YRS.
What would you do?
Remember this will be at the peak of his playing career.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If Laine gets around $10 M, you'd have to wonder how players like Scheifele, Ehlers and Connor would feel about a player making 40-50% more than them, while not producing more. I realize that the salaries go up as the cap does, but that would be a very big gap.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Lets say he do asked that.
last 3 years he would be 30-32 yrs old.

What was the going rate for goal scorers 8 years ago?

Probably cap is flat the next 2 yrs Laine is tied up to 1 more year. What would be the cap estimated for that back end of that contract?

Its not like this is wheeler contract or petroangelo contract or those other ufa contracts that the back end is at the mid to late 30s of the player.

You will get the bulk of this contract at the prime years of Laine. Which better to pay.
If there is this that you need to move him then. I believe it is possible to move his contract still.

But doing nothing and being scared to pay someone because its money you believe he will not be worth it. Then Jets will just be forever like this. There are gambles you Hve to take.

But i believe Laine will sign for less than 10M.

If he do ask for 9.0-9.5M 7-8 YRS.
What would you do?
Remember this will be at the peak of his playing career.
I've said before that I'd be okay with anything up to around 9.25-9.5M on a 7-8 year deal. If Laine refuses that, you have to move him, I think, regardless of what his reasons are not to sign.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
If Laine gets around $10 M, you'd have to wonder how players like Scheifele, Ehlers and Connor would feel about a player making 40-50% more than them, while not producing more. I realize that the salaries go up as the cap does, but that would be a very big gap.

I guess we better trade Scheifele now too then. His next contract is going to be brutal.

Our window with Mark as a true #1 is quickly fading. I don't want to be stuck paying him 8 figures PER many years beyond that.

Last edited:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I've said before that I'd be okay with anything up to around 9.25-9.5M on a 7-8 year deal. If Laine refuses that, you have to move him, I think, regardless of what his reasons are not to sign.
Ok great.

I think he will go around that mark.

And Jets will for sure will not blink if that is the case.

Any higher as you said will be a hard one to do. As there are 3 other wingers making a good chunk of money.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

Of course you don't trade him if it makes no sense, but NMC doesn't make him untouchable, it just means he has the power to say no. But Winnipeg looks unlikely to be a contender for a couple years at least, I would imagine Wheeler could very well waive is NMC for the right opportunity to contend. And if he happens to fit the needs of that team, why would they offer pennies on the dollar, unless Jets get desperate, but why would they? It's not like Wheeler is some boat anchor. It's a contract that for the Jets doesn't necessarily look that great for the future, and because of holes elsewhere in the roster. But for a contender that's not an issue, if they see a top level veteran RW that will make their team better and might be just that extra step, why not take it?

The Jets don't NEED to get rid of the Wheeler, but they COULD if they can make it happen and it would IMO be far better for the team than trading Laine or anyone else of the young top wingers.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg

It’s the way the NHL goes. It happens around the league everywhere. If Mack on Col can deal with it I’m sure our players will be able too.

They already have to deal with wheelers contract.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

If a guy who gets that is clearly the best player on the team by a wide margin I think players have no problem with, the issue is Laine isn't even close to that.....it would destroy the team in the locker room IMO. Especially when you consider how many RFA years vs UFA years bought.

Last edited:

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
If a guy who gets that is clearly the best player on the team by a wide margin I think players have no problem with, the issue is Laine isn't even close to that.....it would destroy the team in the locker room IMO.

Wheeler already destroyed it.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

They should fire their agent then. :)

That Wheeler contract , they should complain about moving forward. If there is a complain to be made. Or the dead weight contract Like Perrault.

Laine has produced way more than those 3 age 18 to 21.
Not even close.
I will compare apple to apple when Laine hits 23 to 25 yrs and compare to the production of those 3 same age.
I am betting it will be more.
Remember the 40 goal scorer is a much premium space. Only 1 Jet 2.0 have actuallt done it.
We can assume Connor and Schiefele can score 40. Then we need to assume Laine can hit 50.

:)

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
If a guy who gets that is clearly the best player on the team by a wide margin I think players have no problem with, the issue is Laine isn't even close to that.....it would destroy the team in the locker room IMO. Especially when you consider how many RFA years vs UFA years bought.

Colorados locker room seems fine. All the other locker room with players with lower cap hits because of smaller salary caps in previous years seem fine as well.

It’s the way a salery cap world works.players want their teammates to get as much money as possible. Your over reacting a lot

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Colorados locker room seems fine. All the other locker room with players with lower cap hits because of smaller salary caps in previous years seem fine as well.

It’s the way a salery cap world works.players want their teammates to get as much money as possible. Your over reacting a lot

Laine isn't Mikko........not even close.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

It didn't destroy Colorado's locker room where McKinnon is significantly better then Rantenan and makes 3 million less.

I don't think it has anywhere near the amount of impact most people think it does. I'm sure the players are all fully aware on the mechanics of what drives contract value.

Reactions: Mathil8

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
It didn't destroy Colorado's locker room where McKinnon is significantly better then Rantenan and makes 3 million less.

I don't think it has anywhere near the amount of impact most people think it does. I'm sure the players are all fully aware on the mechanics of what drives contract value.

Yes and everyone knows that will change as soon as Mac resigns, just a timing issues on contracts. The point is Laine isn't even close to Mikko level of player.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Take Mikko away from Mackinnon and his results drop significantly. He isnt near as good as some think he is, he is just insulated by a top 3 player in the league.

What was Laine reason/excuse then this year, he played a huge chunk of the year with Mark

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Those guys were signed longterm after their elc’s.
Won’t be the case with Laine.

Completely different situstion, Laine’s CV is and will be superior to those 3 at the time of signing, why he’ll get far more money

Scheifele in time will then overtake Laines salary easily

Reactions: Mathil8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad