Player Discussion: Hattrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

GothenburgJet

Jan 11, 2017
Patrick really needs to re-adjust his shot. The shot that was once called the best in the league, has turned in to a mediocre shot at best. 30 goals last season and not even en route for 30 this season. He has been hitting the boards a lot more this and last year than what he did in his first 2 years in the league.

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
Patrick really needs to re-adjust his shot. The shot that was once called the best in the league, has turned in to a mediocre shot at best. 30 goals last season and not even en route for 30 this season. He has been hitting the boards a lot more this and last year than what he did in his first 2 years in the league.
Feels like that, but actually he's pacing for less misses than on any of his previous seasons, while also pacing for more shots on net than on any of the previous seasons (SoG/60 has stayed the same though).

GPSoG/GPMsSCross/PostMsS/GPMsS w/o cross or post/GP
16-17732.798051.101.03
17-18822.94113121.381.23
18-19822.99109151.331.15
19-20413.294431.071.00
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
Feels like that, but actually he's pacing for less misses than on any of his previous seasons, while also pacing for more shots on net than on any of the previous seasons (SoG/60 has stayed the same though).

GPSoG/GPMsSCross/PostMsS/GPMsS w/o cross or post/GP
16-17732.798051.101.03
17-18822.94113121.381.23
18-19822.99109151.331.15
19-20413.294431.071.00
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
He's just hitting the goalie more now. Earlier he was picking the corners more and thus missing the while net more too. Now his shots are on goal more, but easier to save.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Laine had what, 13 shots the other night? That’s what I want to see from him. Shooting at every opportunity.

Reactions: KB1971

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
We know he was fighting a back injury and had to adjust his training / improve his musculature. Not surprising this can affect his shot. Like a baseball player struggling with his swing it is only a minute change that is the difference.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

He dont need to adjust

And its not mediocre.

He plays in a line with all 3 shooters.
All good ones.

The thing is

He is the best shooter in that line.

The most defensively aware.

And the best passer.

He is playing to stay on the top line and help the team win.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
received_446214049598070.jpeg
received_446214049598070.jpeg

He better sign long term

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
How much do you think he signs for long term. He isn’t really lighting it up. Compare his 15 goals to Matthews 31 and he is hardly a 10 mill player.

Nothing to base it on, but I really think Pate is just trying to develop other parts of his game and show he's an all around player. Mostly I think that's for himself, to get everything going on all cylinders and then he might start being a bit more selfish. At that point I think the goal totals climb. But for now I think he's trying to work on his defensive responsibilities which fits really well with being a better team player, especially given the defense we are icing atm.

Part of the problem is kicking his contract down the road. I think it was the right thing for the Jets and for Laine himself. But in the interim someone is going to sign an even more ridiculous contract somewhere else and raise the bar. $10 million might seem 'reasonable' in the context of the NHL in 2022.

As for what he gets long term, what does the average point a game player get in current value dollars? $8? $8.5? That's what he's pacing on at the moment and he has a pretty nice goal scoring history tucked in his back pocket. I suspect in the next 18 months we'll see the goal scoring come back and he'll maybe be a 90 point or better player with at least average if not better defense. Still think Patty will get paid. He'll be the highest paid player on the Jets when he signs (yes, if).

Reactions: Howard Chuck

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
They all take it wrong way. Its about the playing a game.

I'm your fan, but I'm also The Elite Commander, Archangel, the world record holder of PC Elite Plus.

As about records, my 2h 43mins from the start of the game to the Elite promotion is one of the hardest speedrun records to beat! As they laugh on you, they laugh on me.

Patrik! Make it under 2h 40min, and nobody will laugh for you anymore, Sniper!

Sources: Elite / Frontier Elite Plus
Down load: Elite Plus - Abandonware DOS

;) They don't know what they are doing... Commanders!

Last edited:

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
I have a hunch that Mr. Laine continues to improve into next season. Would not surprise me to see him go 40-50 or even 50-50 next year. The time for worrying was last year into this season imo. His shot is still unbelievable as seen by his ridiculous shootout snipe yesterday, it's his overall playing style as it fits into Maurices system that's had growing pains. Plus, our pp is not good this year which obviously cuts down Patty's goal totals.

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The thing is

He is the best shooter in that line.

The most defensively aware.

And the best passer.

We could probably debate a couple of those if we were up to it -

The top line is not defensively aware IMO - well, maybe aware, but not effective.

They can all pass the puck well - not sure one is better than the other. I would give Laine the edge on passing quantity - he's been setting up a few TY quite nicely.

Shooting is a no brainer - just do more of it Patty - you obviously still know how based on the shoot out rocket.

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
So, some says Laine hit the boards way more than his first two seasons combined. Other ppl says he hit the goalie too much...

It is way more likely that Laine were ridicilous lucky the first couple of seasons, shooting with unreal shooting %. Regression had to come. Now he is likely on the downside of variance and can expect to heat up a bit.

He is shooting more which is a good sign, but for someone who is on pp1 and the pp1 is custom made for his shot, then 3 shots per game isnt much.

Some say Laine wanted to show Maurice he is a two way player. I would say he is far from that and that Laine is working on becoming a two way player. He has made progress, which we all should be happy about.

Talking contract right now doesnt make sense. Who knows what player Laine is in two years time and what cap situation we have?

7BD05BE1-2EDC-48F8-AAEB-361641675773.png
9B6E8FA3-003C-4708-A9E8-EC1AC078D04F.png

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
We could probably debate a couple of those if we were up to it -

The top line is not defensively aware IMO - well, maybe aware, but not effective.

They can all pass the puck well - not sure one is better than the other. I would give Laine the edge on passing quantity - he's been setting up a few TY quite nicely.

Shooting is a no brainer - just do more of it Patty - you obviously still know how based on the shoot out rocket.

who is the best passer or not? - I dont know.
What I DO know is that many ppl in here are very boxscore focused, everything else doesnt matter. So when someone converts a Laine pass into a goal Laine is a playmaker sent from Heaven, his passing abilities has increased incredible through off season. When the latter might be true, it is just as likely that players receiving his passes has been more lucky scoring than they were before. Since they scored a goal and Laine picked up the assist ppl are noticing it, but only because it ended with a goal

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
It is way more likely that Laine were ridicilous lucky the first couple of seasons, shooting with unreal shooting %.

Call him ridiculously lucky on 15-16 as well then.

Luck doesn't work like that. There is no way you are "lucky" 3 seasons in a row. Snowballs chance in hell.

If his huge November 2018 was all he did got, you could call him just lucky and get away with that, without any problem. But you can't be lucky for 3.5 seasons straight, that's just mad.

His back problems / reduced hip rotation (confirmed) late 18-19 affected his shot a lot, and also he is known to have a huge confidence boost when he is on -- not that rare for shooters, look at Ehlers as well: when Nik is in a slump, he almost never scores, when he has "it", he scores a lot.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I swear many people here don't actually watch the games. Laine isn't scoring because his linemates don't get him the puck in shooting areas. He's still very good and creates for his linemates, but Scheif and Connor are all about taking the puck in tight. Laine doesn't score from there. He's a huge guy with a long stick. He needs room to shoot. Connor will never make a pass to Laine in those spots. I don't know why. Connor cycles or tries to get the puck in close. Laine is never going to score goals at an elite rate with 2 other shooters on his Laine. Especially shooters who don't score like he does.

These are facts. It's plain to see in every game. If Laine is going to score a ton, he needs a playmaker who focuses on getting him the puck. He doesn't have that and he's still putting up PPG like numbers. I'd like to see another player on the team score at that rate while give up their most valuable asset.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I swear many people here don't actually watch the games. Laine isn't scoring because his linemates don't get him the puck in shooting areas. He's still very good and creates for his linemates, but Scheif and Connor are all about taking the puck in tight. Laine doesn't score from there. He's a huge guy with a long stick. He needs room to shoot. Connor will never make a pass to Laine in those spots. I don't know why. Connor cycles or tries to get the puck in close. Laine is never going to score goals at an elite rate with 2 other shooters on his Laine. Especially shooters who don't score like he does.

These are facts. It's plain to see in every game. If Laine is going to score a ton, he needs a playmaker who focuses on getting him the puck. He doesn't have that and he's still putting up PPG like numbers. I'd like to see another player on the team score at that rate while give up their most valuable asset.
I've noticed this all season long. Scheifele and Connor absolutely refuse to use Laine as the trigger man.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I've noticed this all season long. Scheifele and Connor absolutely refuse to use Laine as the trigger man.

I think a lot of it has to do with coaching. They just as a team refuse to make those lateral plays unless its directly into the low slot. It's a **** tactic by our offensively stunted coach.

So the problem at first was NOT playing with Scheifele, and now the problem is that he IS playing with Scheifele.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
I wouldn’t go that far, but they sure could look for Laine more often when he gets to an open space. I recall that Chef recently said in an interview something in the lines of that he likes to have close support and that he is teaching Laine where to be positioned. Chef has the final say in what style that line plays and all Laine can do is play that way or get demoted. It’s not an optimal style of play for him, but I’d say that the line is having pretty good success and Connor sure seems to enjoy the highlife and job security as the triggerman in close.

My bigger gripe is ghat Laine is mostly a decoy on the PP nowadays, because most of the passes for the onetimer have been so poor that he just coralls the puck and passes it back to either Wheeler or Pionk. What happened to the manpasses from Wheeler that went from tape to tape? Pionk could put some mustard on his passes as well.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

I like the fact that we have options on that line that allow us to score from different areas - we have 3 players that differ in where they score from and where they prefer to set up - that's a nice bunch of options to have in the O zone.
Laine's had plenty of opportunity to score and at some point, the flood gates should open.
The first game against TO tells me that he's getting his chances - the goals will comes if he keeps shooting like that.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
So the problem at first was NOT playing with Scheifele, and now the problem is that he IS playing with Scheifele.

No, playing with Scheifele is not a problem, neither is playing with Schefele and Connor. Laine is doing fine. More than fine actually, when you look at his even strength goal differential. Without checking I guess he still easily leads the team.

Laine is doing fine and has been one of the most valuable players for the Jets this season.

But there are some that are complaining about Laine not scoring goals and making some pretty ridiculous analysis based on that fact (Laine doesn't score as often he used to). If Laine's personal goals are only thing that matters, then yes, you should not play Laine with 2 other shooters who play close to the opponent net, that's pretty obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad