Player Discussion Has Nikolai Goldobin made Sven Baertschi expendable?

Has Nikolai Goldobin made Sven Baertschi expendible?

• Total voters

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
9SyMObK.png

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Have to agree with other posters. Baertschi's injuries and concussion history puts him in the 'seriously suspect' category. And a supposed 'offensive forward' like Goldy who has just two goals on the season and is prone to serious defensive brain-cramps, might not be a long term solution either. They could both be expendable when the Canucks are really good.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
This team and a significant amount of its fanbase is way too attached to keeping the same players.

And for the record, I've always liked Baertschi.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hardly.
Goldobin is on a 37 point pace which is perfectly serviceable. Also, he's shooting at a 4.9 rate, so expect that to go up and his goals will go up.

He's on that pace because he's playing top-6 minutes with Pettersson and getting heaps of PP time. And has a horde of 2nd assists.

His production is atrocious for his usage and his defensive play has been even worse

That said, I'm happy we're giving him this long look to see what we have.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Largely with secondary assists, many on the PP, and with prime ice time. Half the roster could do the same or better as could a few guys in Utica.

Also Canucks (at least last I checked) were shooting at ~2% fron the scoring chances he is setting up.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I do believe patience will pay off with Goldy.
He has certainly been given a prime opportunity...There's no doubt he has all the tools,great speed,shot..but he does not see the ice that well..Baertschi excels at puck distribution,and is one of the better natural passers on the team.

Watching Goldy try and and do a lateral pass to Pete on the PP is driving me crazy...The chances of it getting through the legs and sticks is minimal..it gets picked off every time...

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Goldobin is expendable. He’s leeched off of EP40 and he still doesn’t have very good numbers. He’s weak defensively as well.

Petersson has a 55.07 cf% with Goldobin. Without him 32.02%. Clearly Pettersson does play better with Goldobin on his line

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
Also Canucks (at least last I checked) were shooting at ~2% fron the scoring chances he is setting up.

Early on he did make some plays that didn't end up in goals. Most of assists lately have been nothing plays, including 2 where he last touched the puck in his own end, so it balances out in terms of points. Regardless of point totals, there is very little there. A guy with his lack of size/strength needs either incredible mitts or wheels and he has neither. Is fine to keep handing it to him on a platter, as options are limited, but he has shown nothing to indicate that he will be part of the solution.

Reactions: mathonwy

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Petersson has a 55.07 cf% with Goldobin. Without him 32.02%. Clearly Pettersson does play better with Goldobin on his line

How much time have they played apart? I don’t think we have a large enough sample size to make any sort of conclusion based off of possession data.

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver
Hardly.
Goldobin is on a 37 point pace which is perfectly serviceable. Also, he's shooting at a 4.9 rate, so expect that to go up and his goals will go up.

Hot take.

Fact of the matter is, a 37 point pace is awful considering the prime time he receives with the Canucks skill players. Goldy isn't that young anymore.. I believe he's on his 6th pro season, and he still has a lot to figure out. He's better defensively this year without a doubt, but to me Goldobin still looks like a tentative player with little direction on the ice.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Hot take.

Fact of the matter is, a 37 point pace is awful considering the prime time he receives with the Canucks skill players. Goldy isn't that young anymore.. I believe he's on his 6th pro season, and he still has a lot to figure out. He's better defensively this year without a doubt, but to me Goldobin still looks like a tentative player with little direction on the ice.

He is on a 37 pace DESPITE only shooting 4.9%.

Also according to the Canucks Army guys he's also good at shot assists and zone entries. This is a Ben Hutton situation all over again.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He is on a 37 pace DESPITE only shooting 4.9%.

Also according to the Canucks Army guys he's also good at shot assists and zone entries. This is a Ben Hutton situation all over again.

No, it isn't.

His advanced stats are getting dragged upward by Pettersson. The Canucks Army guy are useless.

If you double his shooting percentage and goal totals ... his numbers still suck for his usage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad