Player Discussion Has Nikolai Goldobin made Sven Baertschi expendable?

Has Nikolai Goldobin made Sven Baertschi expendible?

• Total voters

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Google Translate

Credit to Reddit Canucks for the above article which was posted today.

Baertschi has yet to successfully get back in the training room. He got dizzy after 15 minutes last Saturday. His career and life may be at great risk and that's incredibly sad.

The headshot in Colorado was utter garbage and it wasn't even looked at by the league. Same kinda headshot he got 2(?) years ago.

Jeez, that sucks. And yeah, headshots / hits targeting the head still aren't being dealt with appropriately enough, in my opinion.

Reactions: daddyohsix

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
For the people voting 'Yes' and that Goldobin has made Baertschi expendable, who do you have penciled in as wingers in our top 6? It currently feels like we have a really weak top 6 when it comes to wingers (even with Boeser), getting rid of one of Baertschi/Goldobin would be an astronomical blunder at this juncture.

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI
It's great to see Goldobin doing great, he seems to work well with Petey. I don't know why it makes Baer moveable.

With both of them in the line up we are still missing a top six winger any ways

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
What a funny question, especially with the gift of retrospect. What we need more than ever is top 6 wingers that aren't AHL grinders.

That being said, Goldobin is coming along nicely. People are worried about the turnovers and the bambi legs, but I chalk it up to youth. This is his fourth pro year after all, and he's made improvements each step of the way. Very talented kid who, if he works hard enough, will have a long career stapled to EP's wing.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Has Goldobin really arrived? Sure he’s been productive as of late, and is on pace for 51 points. But a lot of his points are on the power play, secondary assists and he’s playing Pettersson quite a bit at even strength and on the PP. His shot difference numbers are being propped up by generous zone usage.

His play has improved, but his game is still far from flawless. The way he’s being talked about kind of reminds me of how people were talking about Baertschi a few years back, he was producing, and the production stood out because barely anyone else on the team was putting up points, but in reality you’re likely not going places if he’s a mainstay in your top 6.

I’m not willing to write the book on him just yet, he’s been getting big minutes as of late, which is fine, might as well see what you have in a lost season.

Reactions: Pip and timw33

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Has Goldobin really arrived? Sure he’s been productive as of late, and is on pace for 51 points. But a lot of his points are on the power play, secondary assists and he’s playing Pettersson quite a bit at even strength and on the PP. His shot difference numbers are being propped up by generous zone usage.

His play has improved, but his game is still far from flawless. The way he’s being talked about kind of reminds me of how people were talking about Baertschi a few years back, he was producing, and the production stood out because barely anyone else on the team was putting up points, but in reality you’re likely not going places if he’s a mainstay in your top 6.

I’m not willing to write the book on him just yet, he’s been getting big minutes as of late, which is fine, might as well see what you have in a lost season.

For the moment, I'm happy he's looking better at this level than he has ever looked (IMO), he has set a new career high in points in fewer games than last season, and he is at least sporadically contributing offensively, which is more than most of the guys on the team would likely be able to say if they were put in the same situation. He's doing his job at the moment. I certainly hope he develops 1) more consistency in terms of being involved in the play, and 2) converts on more of his chances to score that he gets set up for. But I'm cautiously optimistic he can do both of those things.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Goldobin isn't expendable!! since when did we become flush with top 6 wingers???
As good as he is with EP, I prefer playing Boeser in the RW spot on EP's line.
XXX Pettersson Boeser
Baertschi Horvat Goldobin

That would be pretty decent. Finding a skilled LW for Pettersson should be a priority. Eriksson could fill-in for now, however he's on the decline and a more legit top6er would be ideal.
Maybe in the off-season spend some money and try to sign a LW (Panarin, Skinner, Anders Lee,Nelson).

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Yes.

The increased production matches the eye test. Looks like a different player from last year. Still has to show he can sustain it and be effective in all situation, including withour EP. I have him and Virtanen in the near core player category, assuming continued improvement into peak years.

Injuries have sunk Bae.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Goldobin isn't expendable!! since when did we become flush with top 6 wingers???
XXX Pettersson Boeser

That would be pretty decent. Finding a skilled LW for Pettersson should be a priority. Eriksson could fill-in for now, however he's on the decline and a more legit top6er would be ideal.
Maybe in the off-season spend some money and try to sign a LW (Panarin, Skinner, Anders Lee,Nelson).

Agreed re wingers we need more via draft in Van especially for left side unless we think Eriksson will be that guy (he won’t).

Baer/EP/Boeser

maybe try JV on Horvat’s left side?:

JV/Horvat/Goldie

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver

Who’s game is flawless ?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Yes.

The increased production matches the eye test. Looks like a different player from last year. Still has to show he can sustain it and be effective in all situation, including withour EP. I have him and Virtanen in the near core player category, assuming continued improvement into peak years.

Injuries have sunk Bae.
This current concussion is really bad....It wouldnt surprise me if he's out for the year,or decides to hang em up.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This current concussion is really bad....It wouldnt surprise me if he's out for the year,or decides to hang em up.
This scenario is unfortunately not beyond the realm of possibility. That hit in Vegas that landed him on long-term IR just wasn't that violent imo. No penalty on the play. Apparently he tried to skate this week but experienced more dizziness and had to shut it down. You have to seriously question what the future holds.

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
Last 2 concussions have been caused by contact that was neither violent nor with the head. I have a hard time seeing him playing again but you never know.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

Good GRIEF!

How close to perfect does his game need to be? He oozes talent and outside of EP is the most offensively gifted player on the team by a mile. THESE are the guys you be patient with and develop! NOT drive him out of town because he made a couple turnovers!

Everyone knows he can be way better and he’s still on pace for FIFTY POINTS! THIS IS HIS FIRST FULL SEASON IN THE NHL!

The expectations of some Canuck fans are INSANE. I feel like I’m losing my mind reading these kind of posts from the same people who bitch and moan about this team not having enough skill. It’s maddening.

Reactions: Canucks1096

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
I just don't see the talent "oozing" at all but I hope I am just missing that! Would be huge if he turned out to be half as good as his admirers think he is now and will be in the future. I would be happy to be wrong on this one but...

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Sven is on his 5th serious concussion. He gets dizzy and sick simply turning around he said. I don’t think we see him play hockey again.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Sven is on his 5th serious concussion. He gets dizzy and sick simply turning around he said. I don’t think we see him play hockey again.
Yeah, that's brutal. He can't risk his physical well-being with a kid on the way. This sounds beyond serious.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
XXX Pettersson Boeser

Fyi most elite centers don't have two skilled wingers one on each side.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Fyi most elite centers don't have two skilled wingers one on each side.

some don't but on the powerplay they do, with the 2nd line center taking a dmen's spot

also more importantly it's because the 2nd elite winger is holding the fort on the 2nd line. We only have Brock.. Leafs have Marner and Nylander/Kapanen

MacKinnon has Rantanen and Landeskog on the same line and Bergeron has Pastrnak and Marchand. Capitals have Ovechkin Oshie Vrana Burakovsky Wilson etc

Kings, bottom tier team has.. Toffoli.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
We need a Panarin or Stone. Slim chance but we give them a fat contract, a chance to play with calder pete and who knows. Benning fired would be a plus

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Yeah, that's brutal. He can't risk his physical well-being with a kid on the way. This sounds beyond serious.

Not worth it. He’s made a bit of cash. Timing works well for him, he will get paid out the rest of his contract , thru insurance. If he turns around and gets dizzy / sick ..... he’s not in a good place. Would be shocked if we see him play again, def not this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad