Has Nazem Kadri played his last game as a Maple Leaf

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Who do they have who can replace what he does? He is a solid 2 C, plays a two-way game, can score 30 goals if called on and adds grit to a team that is desperately short of it... all for a cap hit of $4.5 million. For a team desperately short of cap space I don't think it is likely they part ways with him.

Bullshit incidents like Game 2 aside, what possible replacement could the Leafs slot into his spot for a similar cap hit that would be anything but a clear downgrade? Only way I see this working is if Nylander moves to 3C full time (which I am not sold on) and in exchange for Kadri another team is willing to sent Toronto back a stud RHD on a great contract. That is not an easy set of circumstances to contrive.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Absolutely, put in a second line role he’s good for 30 goals and probably 60 points (especially with the increase in scoring) he is unbelievably valuable for his cap hit and gives our team its biggest strength. With Kadri in the lineup we can roll 3 lines that can match with almost anyone. Without him, Nylander flanked by old Marleau and Brown seems like a huge hole. Best course of action is to keep him IMO.
No one else on the team has any jam...Both suspensions were retaliation for uncalled offenses on a team mate...both looked worse than they were. His sense of justice is likely appreciated by said team mates ,even if not politically correct to say so.

Reactions: Big Cactus

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
I like Kadri a lot, but at this point I'm kind of ambivalent about him leaving this summer. Don't like the dirty play, and I definitely don't like players who hurt their team by taking dumb suspensions. He should have learned after last year. Clearly he didn't.
Sums up my feelings well.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I kinda have a feeling if (lots and lots of hockey left) the Leafs make it out of the Bruins series...

Kadri sits the first game of round 2 (possibly more). I think coaching isn't happy. And save from injuries forcing their hand.(if they win without Naz) the lineup deserves to carry over into the next round.

I'm sure people will call me wrong, which is fine. But I think we are proving a point in sitting him that one game.... to the team and Kadri. Likely comes back in ready to help, not hinder

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Given his contract they would be stupid to trade him before Nylander. With Tavares, Matthews and most likely Marner getting 10M+ deals they need to find as many bargin contracts as possible

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think this is his last year with Toronto. Whether he's played his last game with the team or not is still up in the air.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Trading Kadri is certainly the easiest option for Dubas. His stats are down this year due to a much reduced role behind Matthews and Tavares but with the right role you're looking at a 30 goal guy with grit for 4.5 million. If Dubas pit out word that he was available I suspect most of the league (if not all) would inquire. The problem is that while moving him makes Marner's contract easier to negotiate....you just can't replace Nazem Kadri.

I know the world is down on him right now and they probably should be. The crosscheck was a stupid stupid move - even if many of us can understand the emotion behind it. The fact is that outside of Andersen....Kadri was the best Leaf that game and main catalyst for the start of the comeback...which he eventually ended himself.

I think the best thing to do with Kadri if you're the Leafs isn't to trade him but maybe get him a sports psychologist or something. Work with him and try to figure out a way to harness the emotions and pair that with all of the positives he brings. It's such a thin line between hero and villain in that scenario. Even if he just jumped Debrusk and forced him into a fight he's not ready for...he maintains hero status and doesn't cross the line into villain. We NEED Kadri to be walking the edge....we just need him to do it in a better way.

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
No. 4.5 for a c that can slot anywhere... our only sandpaper. Zait, Brown, Marleau (if possible), Gards, Kap... other options going forward than dumping our best contract

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's all about being able to outperform your cap hit....and Kadri has proven he can do that. The Leafs won't trade him UNLESS it was to fill another need...like a top RHD. But that D would still need to be on a good contract...not like a Trouba for example. So for a 4-5 million RHD that is is great defensively.

That makes finding a match very tough.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Trading Kadri would be stupid. Highly effective player with 3 more years at a strong price for the team. The strength we have down the middle including him is phenomenal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad