Has Matthews struggled in the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NastyKnies

Feb 20, 2010
Canada
Matthews definately struggles in playoffs. He's had many egregoious giveaways this series. It's no wonder Bergies line is dominating the zone time. In the first game Matthews could barely get any offence going. He turned it up a bit in 2nd of this last game by taking more shots. But most were muffin shots without any real danger to them. Screams of a player realize he's just not good enough and is trying to up his shot clock so he can say atleast I was somewhat effective,
did you not watch the series against washington Matthews did not struggle at all

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Matthews doesn't have the support on the wings to match up with Bergeron's line.

Matthews is at the level of a center that can match up against a line that but you need a better top line LW than Hyman, Marleau, or JVR if you want to try to win those matchups, and a better top line RW than Nylander. Auston Matthews is a superhuman compared to Ryan Johansen but the JOFA line might actually have a chance in hell of matching up against Bergeron's line, any group of 2 wingers on Toronto flanking Matthews will get crushed by Bergeron's line.

Matthews was legit against Washington last year, how can you attack a player by digging into a minuscule sample size of 8 games where he scores at a pace of a goal every other game? To be a player that "struggles in the playoffs", I think you need to have at least a 20-30 game sample size of actually struggling, not an 8 game sample size of putting up elite numbers in the goals column against one of the best teams in the league.

Styles make fights.

Washington last year had no Bergeron equivalent.

I doubt he'd be looking like this against Tampa Bay.

He didn't look out of place last year partly because he got a good draw.

Washington's goalies won the Jennings last year, how was that a good draw?

Reactions: Apotheosis

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Having to face the best line in the league lead by the best defensive center in the game would be tough for everyone. Including Crosby or McDavid.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
He's playing 20 minutes a night, lowest scoring in the league=more opportunity to shine also Kane=Nylander and Okposo/Pominville>Hyman, so there's no excuses there. But yeah the rest of your team is trash

Sorry he's made of glass.

So are most top guys in the NHL, congrats I guess?

It is considering he played hurt and played nearly 10% less in terms of TOI.

Coaches fired by Auston:0, coaches fired by Eichel:1.

I understand why you're mad though, you have an awful team, your guy isn't as good as ours and when you play us we c**k you in your own barn aka ACC 2.0.

Do you think Eichel will finally score 30 goals in his 4th year or will it take a bit longer? Lmfao
Who cares? He got 30 assists :sarcasm:

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Pathetic. Pathetic. Pathetic.

Fans taking cheap shots at the Leafs. I get it, you hate us. I get it, you get off on fans being miserable. f*** you guys, we have suffered more than any fanbase and you still pile on. Endless trolling on here. Matthews has been the least of the issues. The team has folded like a deck of cards and the regular season team is no where to be found.

We are cursed. This is a team with the talent to win and then this happens. Bruins are a good team but the Leafs are WAY better than they have been. Of course a McDavid fan starts this BS. Grow the f*** up. Oilers fans should know better but they are just assholes.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
I've been telling you guys the same thing, and the story is unfolding...

The Leafs will NEVER advance past the second round in Mathews whole tenure with the Leafs, No cup no nothing

Remember my words, I will keep reminding you., but remember my words, I have seen the future and this version of the Leafs will bring nothing but failure and disappointment....you will win nothing, you will accomplish nothing, Mathews will score some regular season points, but he is not a winner.

Remember....watch and remember....

Reactions: Tage2Tuch
Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton

Fans taking cheap shots at the Leafs. I get it, you hate us. I get it, you get off on fans being miserable. **** you guys, we have suffered more than any fanbase and you still pile on. Endless trolling on here. Matthews has been the least of the issues. The team has folded like a deck of cards and the regular season team is no where to be found.

We are cursed. This is a team with the talent to win and then this happens. Bruins are a good team but the Leafs are WAY better than they have been. Of course a McDavid fan starts this BS. Grow the **** up. Oilers fans should know better but they are just *******s.
Kinda funny how you go from projecting your teams failures then to insulting Oilers fans. Take a f***ing break dude.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I've been telling you guys the same thing, and the story is unfolding...

The Leafs will NEVER advance past the second round in Mathews whole tenure with the Leafs, No cup no nothing

Remember my words, I will keep reminding you., but remember my words, I have seen the future and this version of the Leafs will bring nothing but failure and disappointment....you will win nothing, you will accomplish nothing, Mathews will score some regular season points, but he is not a winner.

Remember....watch and remember....
Not sure I agree. But even if Matthews isn't a winner, he's plenty good enough to help a team win.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Matthews doesn't have the support on the wings to match up with Bergeron's line.

Matthews is at the level of a center that can match up against a line that but you need a better top line LW than Hyman, Marleau, or JVR if you want to try to win those matchups, and a better top line RW than Nylander. Auston Matthews is a superhuman compared to Ryan Johansen but the JOFA line might actually have a chance in hell of matching up against Bergeron's line, any group of 2 wingers on Toronto flanking Matthews will get crushed by Bergeron's line.

Matthews was legit against Washington last year, how can you attack a player by digging into a minuscule sample size of 8 games where he scores at a pace of a goal every other game? To be a player that "struggles in the playoffs", I think you need to have at least a 20-30 game sample size of actually struggling, not an 8 game sample size of putting up elite numbers in the goals column against one of the best teams in the league.

Washington's goalies won the Jennings last year, how was that a good draw?

Mathewes is proving your words to be quite wrong,

What he IS proving, however, is he is a #2 center, incapable of effective play against upper-tier NHL'ers and not a player to be taken seriously

Your season is over, I'm sure Mathews would LIKE to do something about that, but he does not possess the elite talent or drive to make it happen

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015

Fans taking cheap shots at the Leafs. I get it, you hate us. I get it, you get off on fans being miserable. **** you guys, we have suffered more than any fanbase and you still pile on. Endless trolling on here. Matthews has been the least of the issues. The team has folded like a deck of cards and the regular season team is no where to be found.

We are cursed. This is a team with the talent to win and then this happens. Bruins are a good team but the Leafs are WAY better than they have been. Of course a McDavid fan starts this BS. Grow the **** up. Oilers fans should know better but they are just *******s.
Don't take it so seriously. Besides, McDavid's been way more invisible than Matthews this postseason.

Reactions: Quality McOil

53or8

Nov 20, 2016
Hopefully matthews realizes the leafs arent the team hes supposed to be on and signs with a contender when is entry level is up.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
People seem to forget that Matthews is just a kid. He's also being shadowed by arguably the best defensive forward of the last 10+ years in PB. I'm no TM fan but Matthews is going to be just fine moving forward. Sometimes you have to lose in order to learn how to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad