Has Matthews struggled in the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NastyKnies

Feb 20, 2010
Canada
the commentary team has really bothered me sugar coating his play.

Hearing Jim Hughson overstate everything he did all game was nauseating.

“The Bruins are all over the Leafs but HERE COMES AUSTOOOON MATTHEWWWWWS.....(does nothing) ...the puck goes the other way and AUSTON MATTHEWWWWWS ...gets checked.”

Craig Simpson’s “isn’t it? Wasn’t it? Shouldn’t it? “ is getting so annoying too.
Jim Hughson is a canuck's fan dog lol

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
He does need to be better, but I'm not sure if he is fully healthy. Nylander needs to be better as well. Same with JVR. At least Marner picked up a couple of points.

Yea, he said he's not 100%.

I'd say he's at about 7-9% right now. Mostly just floating around for a few seconds for moral support.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Looking at Bergeron vs Matthews 5v5, corsi is 6 for Bergeron 7 for Matthews, so Matthews actually winning in corsi. 5 of those 6 corsi are high danger scoring chances though, with Matthews having 0. That's a pretty big issue, when you lose 5-0 in high danger scoring chances 5v5.

It’s a good thing corsi counts as absolutely nothing then right?

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Matthews is going up against the one of the best defensive player and against a very good team. The whole Leafs team has not been themselves, they go home and regroup.

This also points out another factor, to be successful in today's NHL, you really need two lines that can really hurt the opposition. The Leafs have this, if the whole team comes to together and plays like they can, they will get back into this series, if the Leafs play to their potential, they will stretch Bergeron and this will create room for Matthews.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
If Matthews gets no points and the series goes five, three more, then eichel will have finished with more points then Matthews in the same amount of games played, on a team that scored nearly a hundred less goals.

generational

Nice of you to drag Eichel into a Matthews thread.

Matthews avg TOI/G: 18:08
Eichel avg TOI/G: 20:09

Matthews avg PP Time/G: 2:09
Eichel avg PP Time/G: 3:44

So Eichel with 5 more games + about 2 more minutes of ice time a game was able to outproduce Matthews by .. 1 point. That with having an average of 1 minute 45 seconds more of PP time each game.

He's a great player don't get me wrong, but don't try and put Matthews down to meet your own agenda.

Doors that way --->

Last edited:

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Matthews really showing his leadership skills by saying "**** happens" when asked about the 20 point performance by the Beats Per Minute line. How about taking some responsibility and recognizing that it's your teams job to shut those guys down. And they want this guy to wear the C. Not anytime soon if they have any sense.

He has a horrible attitude.

:sarcasm:

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Matthews is going up against the one of the best defensive player and against a very good team.

The reason why Matthews is struggling this year and he didn't last year- Washington had nothing resembling Bergeron, which is why the Leafs never looked completely out of sync.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
It's only 20 points against his match-up.
They're not even posting three points per player per game.
Matthews has this.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Maybe they will.

I expect him to be better at home.

Series isn’t over.

I just don’t think he played a good first two games at all. Even leaf fans were saying he was invisible.
Well Bergeron and those guys have shut down Crosby and made him invisible too. Matthews is gonna need to adjust, and if he can't it's gonna be a short series.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Nice of you to drag Eichel into a Matthews thread.

Matthews avg TOI/G: 18:08
Eichel avg TOI/G: 20:09

Matthews avg PP Time/G: 2:09
Eichel avg PP Time/G: 3:44

So Eichel with 5 more games + about 2 more minutes of ice time a game was able to outproduce Matthews by .. 1 point. That with having an average of 1 minute 45 seconds more of PP time each game.

He's a great player don't get me wrong, but don't try and put Matthews down to meet your own agenda.

Doors that way --->

Yup on a team that scores nearly a hundred less goals.

On a team that’s players little motivation to play for anything either due to rankings. Put him in a leaf sweater and he’d be hailed as god alimighty and would probably do a better job too considering the production he had last year was better (0.94 -0.88 PPG) and had more points this year in just three more games. Seeing how Matthews has played two now in the playoffs.

Thanks for that rude exit treatment butttt I for one see the door but I’d like to stay. I’m having a good time.

(Sips drink)

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Honestly, he's been one of the few bright spots in the two games. Whole team was flat in the first, but when Kapanen and Johnsson were put on his line, they dominated their shifts. 17-2 shots for whenever Matthews was on the ice. Can't do much else when your goalie lets in 3 goals on 4 shots.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
If Matthews gets no points and the series goes five, three more, then eichel will have finished with more points then Matthews in the same amount of games played, on a team that scored nearly a hundred less goals.

generational

Eichel hasn't even been ppg in his 3rd year in the league lmfao.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Eichel hasn't even been ppg in his 3rd year in the league lmfao.

He plays for the lowest scoring team in the league.

With the worst record in the league.

And had 64 in 67 returning from a sprained ankle.

Playing against the best defensemen every shift.

64 in 67 is really good considering all that.

Matthews hasn’t done that either but since he finally got a ppg finish by one point 63 in 62 on a winning team that scored a hundred more goals, I guess that’s just so much more impressive?

Dropping all this as it’s not relevant to this subject.

Meh what does Auston say again..”bleep happens.”

If he didn’t have a horrible attitude maybe the leafs would win a series for once in 15 years.

The beauty of this horrible attitude argument is I now have a Matthews quote to justify the notion yet no one ever gave an eichel quote to support such claims as horrible attitude.

LOve it.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
The reason why Matthews is struggling this year and he didn't last year- Washington had nothing resembling Bergeron, which is why the Leafs never looked completely out of sync.

There is truth to this, this is why having 2 lines that can hurt the opposition is very important, the suspension to Kadri really hurts but the Leafs have the dept to stretch Bergeron.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Honestly, he's been one of the few bright spots in the two games. Whole team was flat in the first, but when Kapanen and Johnsson were put on his line, they dominated their shifts. 17-2 shots for whenever Matthews was on the ice. Can't do much else when your goalie lets in 3 goals on 4 shots.
Cmon, no way can you say that the 2 games he just played were "bright spots". Only a homer could think that.

In no way was that preformance good, especially by a teams #1C.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Cmon, no way can you say that the 2 games he just played were "bright spots". Only a homer could think that.

In no way was that preformance good, especially by a teams #1C.

He was fine in the first game. Unlike the main boards full of trolls (I've seen your post history being very antagonistic about the Leafs); it's clear what has been the main decider between the two teams. The Bruins are capitalizing on the power plays given to them, the Leafs are not. Plus, they have also gotten like what, 12 PPs in 2 games? That's higher on average than what teams get in the "softer" regular season. I said it before the series, the Leafs need to play their own game. Not fall in to a trap by trying to out grind the Bruins.

Reactions: LeafsNation75
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad