Has Matthews struggled in the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The only player that Bergeron can't shut down is McDavid. Just too much speed and skill.

Jako9.gif

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Struggled might be slightly strong wording, but he sure hasn't been effective, borderline non factor & invisible. Zero points in two blow outs. Going home now looks like Babs needs to protect/hide AM from the Bruins top line, b/c going head to head sure isn't working out well. Let's see what AM can now do at home being sheltered from the Bruins top line.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Struggled might be slightly strong wording, but he sure hasn't been effective, borderline non factor & invisible. Zero points in two blow outs. Going home now looks like Babs needs to protect/hide AM from the Bruins top line, b/c going head to head sure isn't working out well. Let's see what AM can now do at home being sheltered from the Bruins top line.

I would say that using words like "non-factor" and "invisible" is more damning that saying he has struggled.

Reactions: Oryxo

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
You could call it the "Chia line".

Why?

Is that supposed to indicate that Chiarelli is responsible for it? He's not. His drafting team picked one of those guys. Keith Gretzky is responsible for picking Pastrnak. Marchand was picked in the draft before Chiarelli took over and was picked by Jeff Gorton as interim GM and Bergeron was picked by Mike O'Connell's staff.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
He was probably the Leafs best player last night, although he did look defeated in the 3rd. He definitely had a great 2nd period.

In regards to the Bergeron match-up, the Corsi was at 7-6 Matthews, but the high danger chances were at 5-0 for Bergeron. Good news for Matthews is that he looked good vs. Chara+McAvoy.

Babcock has a hell of a decision to make in Toronto. Does he have Matthews continue on matching up against the Bergeron line with no Kadri or a semblance of any legit "shutdown" match-up, or does he have him build off of looking pretty good vs. the 2nd and 3rd lines, and leave the rest of the Leafs hanging out to dry vs. the Bergeron line?

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
He had some good shifts but most of his shots were complete wasters from the perimeter with no traffic. Corsi and eye test did not match. Seems like a pretty meh performance so far, he has another gear I'm sure.

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
Expectations are sky a for him based on nothing. I think he finished around 70 th in league scoring. Based on his season I was not expecting much In playoffs, and he has delivered just that. Leaf fans should just let the kid play, it looks like he takes the ice with the weight of 50 failed yrs on his shoulders. He’s not having fun.

Reactions: behemolari

SportsJunkie

Jan 29, 2013
Toronto
Matthews has struggled no question about it...not looking good at all. Out of our top 3 Marner is the only one I would give a positive grade too.

He is not being pushed around just getting beat. There is almost no room out there with these Bruins well there is but when they have the puck

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
He has been mostly invisible, although a lot of credit is due to the Bruins top line, Bergeron in particular.

The only player that Bergeron can't shut down is McDavid. Just too much speed and skill.
Adam Lowry begs to differ.

Feb 24, 2017
Stop it. You need to follow the narrative and pile on. Kick em while they're down. It's HF tradition.
There is no intelligence test or fee to pay prior to joining this website. It is the great unwashed populating the place. This website is indicative of “joe average fan”. It’s not a “hf” thing you’re whining about. It’s just a thing.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
Matthews is just firing pucks at the net from the perimeter. This is the playoffs and he needs to use his size to drive more at the net. But maybe he is hurt. This perimeter stuff doesn't work facing a goalie that stops pucks.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It's been two games let's cool this kind of talk. Hockey is a team game.
All the Leafs are struggling. Not just Matthews.
Let's also not forget that Matthews is also playing against the best defensive player of the past decade and maybe the best two way line in the league. Lots of top players have struggled to produce against Bergeron.
Does he need to be better? Absolutely. But so does the whole team.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Expectations are sky a for him based on nothing. I think he finished around 70 th in league scoring. Based on his season I was not expecting much In playoffs, and he has delivered just that. Leaf fans should just let the kid play, it looks like he takes the ice with the weight of 50 failed yrs on his shoulders. He’s not having fun.

but i love that, and even more i love desperate leafs fans as you had a change to get the best goal scorer ever in the game, who by the way loves the pressure and expectations while having fun.. but super glad jets drafted him before matthews :sarcasm:

waiting for see the first leafs home game :popcorn: gonna be more fun

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: