Has Matthews struggled in the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Of course not, but it does say a whole lot about how short sighted you are and the type of poster you are.

It's been a tough series, and will be very dissapointing to lose, but at least we're not the Sabres, right?

Gotchya. Shows what kind of poster you are too for doing the very same thing.

So all the Leaf fans who laughed at me and the Sabres all year and pointed out "HOWS THE REBUILD GOIN BUD" (I know the history of certain sabres fans "not me" bashing the leafs rebuild)

But I'm the bad guy because I dish it back.

If you can't take it back don't dish it out, and that's whast numerous leaf fans, EVEN YOU at the end of your post do.

Reactions: Grub

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Gotchya. Shows what kind of poster you are too for doing the very same thing.

So all the Leaf fans who laughed at me and the Sabres all year and pointed out "HOWS THE REBUILD GOIN BUD" (I know the history of certain sabres fans "not me" bashing the leafs rebuild)

But I'm the bad guy because I dish it back.

If you can't take it back don't dish it out, and that's whast numerous leaf fans, EVEN YOU at the end of your post do.

Ya but we made the playoffs and you didn't? As dissapointing as a series loss would be, it's still better than whatever cruel hell your fanbase is going through.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Nick Kypreos making Excuses for 34 now.

EVEN THE MEDIA makes excuses.

Ya but we made the playoffs and you didn't? As dissapointing as a series loss would be, it's still better than whatever cruel hell your fanbase is going through.

Meh. I'll take a chance at Dahlin over getting trounced in the first round with dissapointing performances from "Star" players.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Marner actually has overshadowed him this series. He's been giving it his all.

Matthews and Nylander both really seems like they just needs to get back to basics in this series.

Drive the net, simple passes out the zone, moving their feet <- honestly if they did any of the 3 things I pointed out today, I think they would've done much better.

I've had enough of this curl back BS that never works.
Marner sets up a lot but I feel like he wouldn't bury an empty net on a breakaway.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

Meh. I'll take a chance at Dahlin over getting trounced in the first round with dissapointing performances from "Star" players.

That's pretty sad, to be honest. After all the losing in the last 10 years, you shouldn't be happy with another lotto pick. Could be another Sam Reinhart.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

Well, Buffalo hasn't exactly been too fortunate with those lotteries....maybe this is their year. :laugh:

Draft lottery is at the end of the month, no?

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Matthews terrible attitude? The kid who owned making a mistake in his first NHL game after scoring 4 goals? Compared to Eichel the guy who has pouted his way through his career, has thrown teammates under the bus at lower levels?

Why do you have to make things up? It’s just silly

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Why do you have to make things up? It’s just silly
I didn't make anything up there. I stand behind what I said. Eichel did not have a good reputation as a teammate at USNTDP or BU and threw lower level teammates under the bus. If you don't believe me fine, but it isn't made up.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I didn't make anything up there. I stand behind what I said. Eichel did not have a good reputation as a teammate at USNTDP or BU and threw lower level teammates under the bus. If you don't believe me fine, but it isn't made up.

Yea hes pouted his way through the nhl and throws teammates under the bus...

Homers on both sides are tough to deal with

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He's had a rough playoff series.

It doesn't make him gutless, a choker, a loser... he's 2o and facing top checking lines from a great team. He'll learn from this and be better in the future.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Admittedly, Matthews hasn't been very good, but I'm not worried. He scored four goals in the playoffs last year. He is young and developing and is playing against some veterans (Chara, Bergeron, Marchand etc). He's primarily a goal scorer (offensively) and I'd like to see him try to bury some garbage in the next game.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yea hes pouted his way through the nhl and throws teammates under the bus...

Homers on both sides are tough to deal with
He pouts in interviews or at least did. See the interview posted from the end of the 2016-17 season: He’s made an improvement this year. He’s always been hard on teammates at the USNTDP level to an unreasonable extent. Then again, so were Michael Jordan and Kobe but they are hailed as leaders because they won.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Ummm, did you see Matthews interview after his 4 goal game "That last play was 100% my fault." The exact reason I reference that is because that is him taking ownership. Which you claim he doesn't.

What Eichel does is not really take ownership. He just learned to repeat ROR's mantra of "I need to play better."

Yeah, mediocrity. A team that has gone from 69 points (30th overall), to 95 points (14th overall) to 105 points (7th overall). I'd say that is more than mediocraty. I mean, enjoy your high pick, hopefully, this one lives up to expectations for you. I'm sure you are enjoying the progression from 81 points (23rd overall) to 78 points (25th overall) to 62 points (31st overall)

The reason I don't give you a thought out intelligent response is because you are around here being a baby about Matthews because he has outplayed your boy Jack for the last 2 years. You said a few weeks ago you agreed to appreciate him as a player, then now you are belittling him the first chance you get. First its, well "Matthews has never been better than Eichel in the same year PPG wise." Well, that changed. Now its "Matthews can't get 30 assists." Maybe you should pay attention to the ice-time discrepancies. Matthews wasn't only better than Eichel this year despite Eichel being in his 3rd year, he's been better than him the last 2 years despite being younger, and has been better than him at comparable ages.

Are you serious about Eichel not pouting? Have you seen this interview?

You are just finding an opportunity to push your childish agenda and it is so transparent it is ridiculous. Matthews hasn't played at an elite level so far, especially in the 1st game. But, to say he's been invisible or a detriment to his team is hyperbole of the highest order.

God. One more game and posts like this hopefully become less frequent.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Still generational tho. Just wait until the playoffs and he will show you all how clutch he is! :laugh:

The overrating got slightly out of hand with that one. Totally better than McDavid!

Yeah anyone who think Matthews is or will be generational is pretty delusional. Typically it doesn't take 3 years for a forward to show he's a generational talent.

Matthews is clearly immature and not fit to lead his team at this point. He thinks he can show up and put up a half-assed effort in the playoffs but he's going to, and is, get eaten up like that. Kid's got a lot to learn.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

ijuka

May 14, 2016
That Marchand goal, Matthews was in line with Marchand at Bruins blue line. Then Marchand accelerated while Matthews had controller disconnected and was nowhere to be seen for the goal. His defensive game that's so "highly touted", I just don't see it.

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
Kid has lost all his confidence, he doesn’t look like he’s having any fun playing in playoffs.

Leafs will be very cautious with this player moving forward. Doubt they commit to him long term this summer as some have suspected.

I agree with the sportsnet crew that he is most definitely not the same player as last season.

kinda sad actually, seems like a good kid

Reactions: Coach and Tage2Tuch

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Matthews is still very young. If you don’t expect him to come back better next year then you’re crazy!

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
That Marchand goal, Matthews was in line with Marchand at Bruins blue line. Then Marchand accelerated while Matthews had controller disconnected and was nowhere to be seen for the goal. His defensive game that's so "highly touted", I just don't see it.

The highly touted defense comments are just the narrative leaf fans use when he’s not producing like this season. He’s not good defensively at all, his skating is a bit of a problem and he is often lazy on the back check.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Kid is too young & talented to call him heartless or gutless or non leader material......give him more time to prove himself. Not his fault the Leaf fans & media overhyped him a bit. Game five is his next chance to prove himself....can’t come soon enough for him I’m sure.

Reactions: Cellee
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany